ROCCAT Kova [+] Gaming Mouse Review

bp9801

I have the 3.5G version of the mouse. Still one of my favorites. :D

Yea...I noticed that as well, and to be honest I haven't used much of the plus features since I tested it out for the review. Can't seem to find a real need to. Maybe I need to play more games and quit studying lol. :thumbsup:

I've used both the original and the 3.5G, and I have to say, they've got a definite difference in feel. I'm not going to say that the 3.5G feels BAD, but it's not as smooth as the original, honestly.

Also, do you test these with or without mouse acceleration? It might help you with your precision tests, as some mice (a lot of Steelseries stuff) have hardware acceleration, so that works in tandem with windows acceleration, giving you a misleading precision level (good or bad).

Also, do you test these with or without mouse acceleration? It might help you with your precision tests, as some mice (a lot of Steelseries stuff) have hardware acceleration, so that works in tandem with windows acceleration, giving you a misleading precision level (good or bad).

I test with everything off so it's an even playing field.

Excellent review! The pics of the packaging and mouse itself were great. I'm turned off too by lengthy customization of mice, but once you get to a setting that you like, that mouse becomes pretty awesome. Thanks BluePanda!!

• 2 months later...

OK, I have registered just to write another opinion, not the one ooh-aah type.

This piece of equipment is simple junk. Worst high cost piece of hardware you can buy. I am really disappointing as by advertising and positive reviews I got a wrong picture about it. Here are the reasons.

1) It is small. It is so small that looks like it is made for kids. Comparing to my previous mouse (Intellimouse Explorer) its like an ant to elephant. If your hand is overall, you will have issues holding it and that will results, after few hours, in pain starting from fingers up to shoulder

2) Its not ergonomic. If you are get used to use 2 fingers for both buttons and scroll, forget it. You have to use 3 fingers so you can put a smallest finger in action. Otherwise your smallest finger will soon start to pain

3) Win 7 64 bit. I feel driver is not working. Simply I am not sure. In device manager it is noted as HID-Compliant, Manufacturer: Microsoft, Location: on ROCCAT Kova [+] Mouse, Driver Provider: Microsoft. After trying everything I know, and I know a lot, I could not see here something like Driver Provider: ROCCAT (I suppose it should be like that, right?). Uninstall, install, safe mode, removing hidden device (all previous mouses), all MS driver, install, reinstall, nothing help. It is always the same

4) Every 2nd restart, mouse speed is set to lowest, scroll to one page. Then I have to open that driver interface from tray and re-set options, which leads to another issue

5) Every change in driver interface takes around minute and a half to apply (proc @3.6 GHz, 4 cores, 4 GB @1666, SSD Patriot Inferno). But guess what? Sometimes after that minute and a half and after pressing Apply button, option I did change simply reset to previous value. Than I have to use Control Panel > Mouse to re-set speed

6) I did register on ROCCAT website so I found I can write to support and they will get back to me ASAP. They did not. After two days I did not get nothing, even not a generic bot reply "hey, we are working on it, be patient"

7) It does not have logarithmic scroll. That is, when you turn wheel faster it will scroll more lines than when you turn the wheel slower. This is MS characteristic as I know and only one who has tried this knows how this type of scroll work

In my past 20+ years in IT I never hated any piece of hardware than this mouse. I did give this mouse a try, 3 days ,whole day using it and my whole right hand is in pain.

Consider this before you blow your 45 or 50€ on something that is supposed to "set standard".

OK, I have registered just to write another opinion, not the one ooh-aah type.

This piece of equipment is simple junk. Worst high cost piece of hardware you can buy. I am really disappointing as by advertising and positive reviews I got a wrong picture about it. Here are the reasons.

1) It is small. It is so small that looks like it is made for kids. Comparing to my previous mouse (Intellimouse Explorer) its like an ant to elephant. If your hand is overall, you will have issues holding it and that will results, after few hours, in pain starting from fingers up to shoulder

This mouse is a bit smaller than a MX518, and yes it is smaller than your old Intellimouse Explorer (a mouse I actually just got rid of in the last year) however to say that it was designed for children is a little extreme. It definitely is not designed for a child. It's actually pretty close to the size of a Razer DeathAdder, which is also about the same size a G5. The only real difference is the overall height of the mouse...it's a bit on the "thin" side.

2) Its not ergonomic. If you are get used to use 2 fingers for both buttons and scroll, forget it. You have to use 3 fingers so you can put a smallest finger in action. Otherwise your smallest finger will soon start to pain

The mouse is designed to be used for both left handed and right handed people (hence the forward and back buttons on both sides), but I really didn't find this to be painful, nor would most people.

3) Win 7 64 bit. I feel driver is not working. Simply I am not sure. In device manager it is noted as HID-Compliant, Manufacturer: Microsoft, Location: on ROCCAT Kova [+] Mouse, Driver Provider: Microsoft. After trying everything I know, and I know a lot, I could not see here something like Driver Provider: ROCCAT (I suppose it should be like that, right?). Uninstall, install, safe mode, removing hidden device (all previous mouses), all MS driver, install, reinstall, nothing help. It is always the same

I can only report what I experienced and I had none of these issues. I admit I did not check the name of the Driver Provider, but the mouse did work as intended.

4) Every 2nd restart, mouse speed is set to lowest, scroll to one page. Then I have to open that driver interface from tray and re-set options, which leads to another issue

I also never experienced this issue.

5) Every change in driver interface takes around minute and a half to apply (proc @3.6 GHz, 4 cores, 4 GB @1666, SSD Patriot Inferno). But guess what? Sometimes after that minute and a half and after pressing Apply button, option I did change simply reset to previous value. Than I have to use Control Panel > Mouse to re-set speed

This long time period to apply changes was in the review (it took about a minute, never longer), not sure if you read the review, but everything that I changed was applied to the mouse -- I'm starting to think you might have gotten a defective mouse. Have you contacted ROCCAT?

6) I did register on ROCCAT website so I found I can write to support and they will get back to me ASAP. They did not. After two days I did not get nothing, even not a generic bot reply "hey, we are working on it, be patient"

2 days isn't very long -- it may be a little slow compared to large companies such as newegg or razer which have been established for some time, but making such drastic statements is a little overkill don't you think?

7) It does not have logarithmic scroll. That is, when you turn wheel faster it will scroll more lines than when you turn the wheel slower. This is MS characteristic as I know and only one who has tried this knows how this type of scroll work

I'm not sure why you are complaining about this, it isn't listed as a feature of the mouse.

In my past 20+ years in IT I never hated any piece of hardware than this mouse. I did give this mouse a try, 3 days ,whole day using it and my whole right hand is in pain.

Consider this before you blow your 45 or 50€ on something that is supposed to "set standard".

In your 20+ years of IT I'm surprised if you haven't seen anything worse. I'm not even in IT and I've seen a lot worse...

I hope ROCCAT gets back to you, it sounds like you might just have a conflict with your drivers or got extremely unlucky with a defective one.