Posing the question; Do we still need optical drives?

VaporX

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do we still need optical drives

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

As Far as the CD/DVD are considered they are abundant because they are cheap that's all matters but as the Xbox 720 is also rumored to have ssd for games and so im waiting for it that using cheaper flash type memory interface rather than optical because they more compact , more capacity , more speed , no fear of scratching. :cool2:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No "We" don't need them...we being us OCC members in the PC community ;) But, "They" still need them....they being the majority of the computer users out there. :lol: While many of us here don't use them at all and most others only at a min, we only represent a small section of the market. I bet there are many more people out there burning CDs/DVDs than there are OCers, not to mention the section of the market who just have no idea and literally need install CD's :rofl:

I voted no. I rarely ever use mine, except for the occasional burnt disc for fam/friends, as others have mentioned.

It all depends on how you are asking the question. Do we NEED optical drives....no. We can live without them, and it even may become a hassle from time to time. However, I still think they are vastly useful to any PC hobbyist, and for about 15 bucks it is kind of stupid to go without one for no reason.

The way the question asks, are optical drives needed? I can certainly get by without an optical drive, however I still prefer to have one.

I like to buy my games boxed. I keep all my boxes. Its nice especially if they are pretty. Its nice to install with the cd rather than downloading the entire game, though I do have a lot of steam games. I keep a case full of different OSs .