Upgrading Wireless mini card in laptop

kennethk

Hey all, I have a i5 laptop and would like to know if this chip here will still pick up 2.4ghz as well as detect 5Ghz. I'm pretty sure that it will work with any intel laptop if not please correct me. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEL-7260-WIRELESS-N-MINI-CARD-7260HMW-BN-WIFI-BT-4-0-COMBO-CARD-PA5124U-1MPC-/351049710624?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item51bc317c20

INTEL 7260

Idk, but you made me realize I oughta look into such a thing too. My laptop can't pull the maximum bandwidth from my router.

If your laptop takes minicard PCI-e wifi cards then I don't see why it wouldn't work, just make sure you can get drivers for it (though I'm sure windows should detect and install some)

The chip I have in this laptop now is horrible, for $12 it wont be a bad little upgrade, just wanted to make sure the model doesnt matter just as long as it fits and you can grab drivers. 

Went ahead and bought it hope it works

Edited by kennethk

The chip I have in this laptop now is horrible, for $12 it wont be a bad little upgrade, just wanted to make sure the model doesnt matter just as long as it fits and you can grab drivers. 

Keep my updated, did you find that model specifically is well spec'd? What made you choose that one? Price and form factor?

They seem to have a good return policy so there is that if you need it

Keep my updated, did you find that model specifically is well spec'd? What made you choose that one? Price and form factor?

They seem to have a good return policy so there is that if you need it

It just seemed like the best deal, luckily I don't have to tear my entire laptop down to replace it just snap the back cover off.

I got it mainly because it can go up to 300mbps and has BT4.0 I kept getting unable to connect to internet errors with this chip then had to wait like 20 minutes for it to pick up when my other devices were connected. Hopefully this fixes it. For some reason the 5ghz band on my router works better than the 2.4ghz connection. 

Cool, yeah I think mine is easy to get to but I'll have to check.

What's your modem/ISP put out on LAN? I can get like 120-130Mbps on LAN in my apartment and my dad's S4 was able to pull that from my router (newer AC router) so I know it's capable of putting that out.

I wanna see some before and after speed tests :)

We're suppose to get around 300mbps so speedtests are usually around 250mbps on ethernet. I'll post some speed tests once it gets here monday. We use comcast so they're never for sure.

Oh NIIICE, yeah I'd be very interested to see that. I trust you have a good enough router for such speeds over wireless!

Here's my "105Mbps" line from Comcast, through LAN :woot:

3889969577.png

WTF do people have there in the land of 'Murica?

250mbs? I thought my 50mb was fast, but this goes beyond ridiculous lol.

50Mbps isn't bad, I was going to go with Verizon and their 50Mbps plan but ended getting effed over by comcast but I only pay $10 more (instead of the same price :glare:) for over double the speed so it's cool.

So apparently my wifi card is an Intel Centrino 2230

I know we're on the 105Mbps plan here at home and here are my results,

Wireless Results (Laptop):
3895101648.png

Wireless Results (Samsung Stratosphere II):

1037203221.png

Wireless Results (Samsung Galaxy S4, don't know why this didn't do well...)

1037205858.png

LAN Results (Laptop):

3895103715.png

LAN Results (Dad's 790GX):
3895108140.png

So maybe my wireless card may be lacking (and I simultaneously learned my laptop must only have a 10/100Mbit lan card and not a gigabit lan card :teehee:) and our router is a decent one here (ASUS RT-N65U)...

I just read up on wireless connection improvement tips and the only one that worked for me was adjusting the channels to: Control-6 , Extension-Lower(Auto) and I got this from my laptop:

3895232674.png

Some other recommendations were:

Set Security to WPA2, AES

Run a separate router for older devices (anything running wireless standards under N) as they will slow down the traffic automatically by the router.

Enabling "WMM"

Oddly I'm still not full speed but it could be the limits of this router... my dad's S4 was able to pull close to max bandwidth from my router in my apartment so I'll update with my testing there!

Edited by IVIYTH0S