It's Modding Time Again

I think I. . . I may ha. . . yeah, I wet myself. I promised I wouldn't get so excited the next time one of these came around, too. Oh well, I guess I'll just sit here in eager anticipation like EVERYONE else (maybe I should shower first). Looks great so far Fueler! :foldon:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back again. Made pretty good progress on the case last nite so I'll try to catch you up real quick.

I picked up a nice piece of red oak at The Home Depot and cut the top and bottom end caps.

Folding-Rig_10.jpg

I don't have any room in my office to set the PC except on the floor so to make it easier to vacumn the carpet I'm going to put the PC on wheels. I already have two 1' x 1 1/2" x 1/4" steel bars to mount the wheels on from a previous rig, so I saved a little time not having to make them again. They are just ugly painted steel bars though so I don't want to have to look at them. To accomplish this I'm going to cut a recess into the bottom wood end cap so the bars will sit flush with the bottom and then make some aluminum caps to cover the ends of the bars that will stick out from the bottom of the case.

My benchtop mill has a 10" range of movement from left to right unfortunately the cut I needed to make was 10 1/4", so to finish the cut I had to unclamp everything and move it over a little just to cut that last little bit.

Folding-Rig_11.jpg

To make the end caps for the steel bars I had to cut a couple of pieces from some 3" 6061 aluminum bar stock. It takes the band saw about 45 minutes to make one cut through this stuff but if you have ever tried to make a straight cut by hand with a hack saw then you would know that you can't and even if you made it through then your arms would feel like rubber. As it is the band saw makes a nearly perfect cut and I kept busy with other things while it whacked away.

Folding-Rig_12.jpg

An hour and a half later I had two aluminum disks. Next I popped them onto the lathe, cleaned up the front and back surfaces and also cut them to the exact same width.

Folding-Rig_14.jpg

From here they went to the mill where I recessed the bottom so they would also fit flush with the bottom of the case, then back to the band saw to be cut into four half moons. This is what I ended up with.

Folding-Rig_15.jpg

Earlier, while the aluminum was getting cut, I made the mounting plate for the motherboards. (I used a piece of aluminum I had left over after cutting a window in my sons WaveMaster case) The boards will be centered in the middle of the case.

Folding-Rig_13.jpg

Next I fit up the motherboards, drilled the mounting plate and installed the studs that the boards will mount to (I'll use acorn nuts to fasten the boards down)

So this is how it looks so far.

Folding-Rig_17.jpg

Folding-Rig_16.jpg

This is what I ment when I said I wanted everything to be flush with the bottom of the case. If you look real close between the bottom of the case and the counter top you can see all the dirty dishes that have been piling up in my sink because I've been too busy working and trying to finish this case :lol:

Folding-Rig_18.jpg

I've gotten a little further on the case than this but the pics are still in my camera so I'll try to get some more posted later today B:)

WOOT.gif

everyone likes a build by Fueler!

:withstupid: :withstupid: Looks awesome so far...no surprise there though. When I read the first post, I was going to suggest/ask whether you'd be mounting the mobos back-to-back, but it looks like that's what you'll be doing :). Looks cool, can't wait to see more!!

PS. I didn't see if you stated this, but what PSU will you be using? I know you'll probably be creating one of you own as you have in the past, but I'm more curious about wattage. I assume you'll be going for something in the range of a 1KW PSU?

:withstupid::withstupid: Looks awesome so far...no surprise there though. When I read the first post, I was going to suggest/ask whether you'd be mounting the mobos back-to-back, but it looks like that's what you'll be doing :) . Looks cool, can't wait to see more!!

PS. I didn't see if you stated this, but what PSU will you be using? I know you'll probably be creating one of you own as you have in the past, but I'm more curious about wattage. I assume you'll be going for something in the range of a 1KW PSU?

I used an online wattage calculator (thanks for the link Roadrunner) and found out that at full load I would need just a tick under 500watts to run this thing. Now I wouldn't try this with just any power supply but I had a PC Power and Cooling 510 atx laying around and I'm hoping that it can do the trick. If not then I'll just have to get a bigger PS. B:)