Power Supply and Amps

okay everyone if I have done my calculations correctly between the my 1250 watt supply the rest of the electronics and light in the room 2000 watts is going to be coming through the socket correct e if I'm wrong the fact its dc current coming to the parts since its ac current being drawn from the wall I would need a 100 amp fuse in the box right? 1250 watts X 8%= 1400 watts then a hundred watt light bulb and the two laptops modem box carrying the phone and cable equipment and modem/router. Figure 2000 watts to be safe. which is irrelevant since a 60 wouldn't be enough. 

So anyway we would need to be using enough of a fuse to cover 2000 watts in the socket?

Are you sure that your system is going to be running at that capacity. the only sure fire way to tell what you are pulling from the wall is to take and clamp over amp meter to the Wall and see what it does.

Also please redo your math. the equation is Volts X amps = Watts. for a/c its 120v and for dc its 12v.

If you fitted a 60 amp breaker then your potental output would be 120v * 60amp = 7200watts.... I don't recommend this as that kind of Draw would likely melt the little wires that connect all the outlets.

But to answer what you would technically need if my calculations are correct then if your system pulls 1200 watts into the psu from the wall. were going to say a rough 120 volts at the wall (it changes constantly with A/C) then you would need a min of a 10 amp Breaker at your box. 120v x 10amps = 1200watts. Usually for everything in the house 20 amp breakers are fitted so that means chances are you are ok... Im sure if the builder had any sense then there would be plenty of power spread over the outlets to keep you running well unless you start putting rack mount server farms in.

My thoughts,

It would be 1250 watt power supply and that given it is 92% efficient so it would 1350 watts coming from the wall well yea there are two sockets on the opposite walls so my guess would be plug everything in one for the computer tower monitor and use the other for everything else

Frank <3 Reesa is right, you need to detail your system build. Just because you have a 1250W PSU it does not mean you will use that much. That rating is the max "on demand" that is available. The greatest use of power is from the 5V leads. Very little power is consumed by the 12V side. Even if you used all 1250W, that computes to about 125W on the 110V side or about 12.5 amps. Most houses are a mix of 15A and 20A wall sockets - mostly 15A. Something to keep in mind about using 2 different sockets on different walls in a room. The wiring is usually daisy chained around the room before it heads off to the power box. So, using different room sockets vs one socket does not really matter. A 15A socket will get warmer than a 20A socket so you might want to pull it and check the rating. Replace with a 20A if concerned.

Also you can get a power watt meter to measure what the other devices that you will be plugging into your outlets actually use.

This would be great as a lot of times, what a device says and what it uses are different.

Honestly you have nothing to worry about (although a check with a wall wart power consumption device would be interesting), household devices like tumble dryers (4000w) and electric kettles (2000w) use far more power than your system ever will and the standard house wiring grid handles them just fine without the need to upgrade fuses.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/28HpW 

Except I am going to do the build with a fx9590 and try oclking to 6000 at 1.6 and I'm also 6 140 mm noiseblockers black silent pro 3's and two switech mcp 655's and blackice gtx extreme triple 140mm. all of this is going into a custom case I'm having built I think I might have allowed for two 290x's not sure.

If your house is wired properly the worst that will happen is you'll trip the breakerand have to replace it with a 20 amp.I'm running 2 mid range pc's, a printer, 3 monitors and 2 routers off one 15 amp circuit for years without any problems, But make sure you use surge protectors on your gear to be safe.

Forgot to mention each pc has 5-1 sound systems attached which adds more draw to the load.

Edited by SpikeSoprano