Hello everyone

Jklein

Alright everybody I have to admit I have lost my mind. But before we get into the insanity a little about myself I'm 31 yrs old. I'm a Certified Medical Assistant and I'm getting a BS in Emergency and Disaster Management. Then probably will also get my Paramedic certification I'm happily married. I'm been using computers and working on them as a hobby for so long I remember when Oregon Trail was cool and on a 5.25 inch disk lol. I also fix computers on the side. So I decided I'm going to build an amazing gaming system. Since I do nothing small I decided to go With the following system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1BfU8. Few clarifications I know it is absolutely insane to build a system like this and stick it in the cooler master. This is temporary I'm having a custom horizontal desktop case designed in a few months. I'm also putting a dual cooling loop at that time I'll be using two 420mm GTX extremes by black ice. And one loop is going to be dedicated to the cpu and chipset and the other will cool the Video cards and ram. Each loop will use a Swiftech MPC 655. (I know cooling your ram is pointless I just think it look better form an aesthetic point of view and keep in mind my case is going to be see through. Any way The first question I have I have seen gskill memory at 32 gb with a cas latency of 7 only its at 1600 mhz Correct me if I'm wrong but when I overclock it to 2400 the timings will change right? Next would anybody like to hazard a guess on the max Vcore that wont damage my chip? I'm guessing it is 1.6 since it already is 1.5 out of the box. With the rest of the fx series it starts at 1.35 and will go to 1.45 before incurring damage over time. So I'm going with the assumption it's the same if somebody knows otherwise let m know. Dont tell me to look on amd website ::Bangs Head Repeatedly Against Wall:: Been there done that. Eventually I'm planing on adding another video card or two. My other question since this is the first time I'm using raid 0 (20 years of using and working with computers and and first time shocking right?) I know you need to have to blank drives to raid 0 do you need an operating system in order to raid or can you do it on a new build? If not anybody want to recommend a cheap ssd to put my os on? I am using a touch screen monitor with windows 8. I have spent the last 7 months on laptop with windows 8 and it has been horrible. So feel free to comment on the build in general parts in particular. Also considering I'm not building for another month or two anybody think Steamroller will be better and worth using? Also since I brought that up anybody have a prediction on whether it will be a new socket or not?

Edited by Jklein

On the chip I would look at the 8350 instead. 1) its $500 bucks less and will likely deliver the same overclocks as the the 9590 for much less money. 2) I know someone that  was getting 5.4 on one under water. 3) You can take that $ saved and put some of it with the $290 already planned and spend  and it on a larger 27 inch 2560x1400 resolution monitor to take advantage of the HD 7990. Hopefully AMD's frame pacing driver fixes the massive stuttering problems on the 7990 so you can enjoy that card. Adding a second one will surely cause even more severe stuttering. 4) Additionally you could take the balance of the money and put it towards a good custom water loop to keep that chip cool because if you push hard on the chip  the Reserator 3 Max is not going to handle the thermal load. 

Other than that Welcome to OCC and look forward to seeing your build! 

On the chip I would look at the 8350 instead. 1) its $500 bucks less and will likely deliver the same overclocks as the the 9590 for much less money. 2) I know someone that  was getting 5.4 on one under water. 3) You can take that $ saved and put some of it with the $290 already planned and spend  and it on a larger 27 inch 2560x1400 resolution monitor to take advantage of the HD 7990. Hopefully AMD's frame pacing driver fixes the massive stuttering problems on the 7990 so you can enjoy that card. Adding a second one will surely cause even more severe stuttering. 4) Additionally you could take the balance of the money and put it towards a good custom water loop to keep that chip cool because if you push hard on the chip  the Reserator 3 Max is not going to handle the thermal load. 

Other than that Welcome to OCC and look forward to seeing your build!

From every review I have seen the frame pacing driver does dramatically improve the issue. From the reviews I have seen on just the beta version it does so much better it out performs the GTX690. So know it may officially take it place as the fastest card in the world. Who knows honestly they are both very impressive cards. To be honest my best friend has two overclocked GTX 690's ad she loves them she running a a I7 3960x on an ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme so shes very happy with her setup. I don't know for sure if I am getting the 9590 I was going to try for 6ghz on it but since my refund doesn't come for another month or two and steamroller is released next month. I will take a look at putting in that. Two things that will determine it are how pricey Steamroller is when it comes out and if it seems worth it. If its using the next generation socket then I will definitely get it. The sound and features on the maximus extreme are amazing and ASUS is putting them on the next revision of the formula which is coming out when the new socket  does. I know it seems funny that price is one of my reasons considering that fx9590 is 900 but the reason I'm saying that is the fx 9590 is basically a overclocked 8350 and Vishera is a proven design. From what I understand steamroller is a remake of bulldozer that is supposed to work out the issues in its design. If I remember correctly there going to run somewhere around 400-600 dollars before I spend that on a chip that is basically fixing the faults in its first version I would like to see the reviews. As for the reserator I wasn't planning for an extreme overclock with that I was thinking at most I might disable the turbo core and get a constant five ghz. Why couldn't I overclock the 8350 though the reserator is rated to handle 400 watts and a 8350 isn't going to go anywhere near that with an overclock? 

Edited by Jklein

Welcome to OCC.

On the RAM speed and timing question.  If you overclock RAM frequency at some point you will have to change the primary timings and likely the DRAM voltage.  When that happens depends on the RAM  :)

And remember there isn't any guarantee that DDR3 1600Mhz memory binned at that speed is going to overclock to DDR3 2400 speeds, regardless of how loose the primary timings or how much DRAM voltage you pump into it.

Frankly, high speed memory is more of a luxury than a necessity.  Day to day you won't notice any difference in DDR3 1600Mhz memory versus DDR3 2400Mhz memory.  Benchmarks - yes, a few FPS in gaming - yes, some other memory intensive tasks - yes.  But surely not to the point that it is worth trying to get DDR3 1600Mhz running at DDR3 2400Mhz speeds.

Welcome to OCC.

On the RAM speed and timing question.  If you overclock RAM frequency at some point you will have to change the primary timings and likely the DRAM voltage.  When that happens depends on the RAM   :)

And remember there isn't any guarantee that DDR3 1600Mhz memory binned at that speed is going to overclock to DDR3 2400 speeds, regardless of how loose the primary timings or how much DRAM voltage you pump into it.

Frankly, high speed memory is more of a luxury than a necessity.  Day to day you won't notice any difference in DDR3 1600Mhz memory versus DDR3 2400Mhz memory.  Benchmarks - yes, a few FPS in gaming - yes, some other memory intensive tasks - yes.  But surely not to the point that it is worth trying to get DDR3 1600Mhz running at DDR3 2400Mhz speeds.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231628 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589 Which would be the better buy? Primarily I game I'm doing my school work on a laptop. This is a computer built for fun not education lol. The friend I mentioned with the intel setup wants me to helper design an mmporg. I will help but since she has a certificate in web design and is getting a bs in game design what she wants me to do I'll never know. Maybe I will be the voice of practicality and reason. So I might be helping with that. Also just curious if your motherboard supports overclocking memory to 2400 mhz if you put in 2400 mhz does that mean you cant overclock it further? When I orginally did the thought was why spend extra if your motherboard can oc to that speed but then I saw this low latency and I know there the same price but I wondered if I could keep those timings and oc to that. However considering were oc another 800 mega transfers that is a stretch I suppose. 

Edited by Jklein