Buying a laptop

DanTheGamer11

Yeah I might! 

How does this laptop look? Another MSI but with backlit keyboard(maybe, no text saying so) and only 4GB RAM versus the other MSI I posted. Shame it's not a Haswell but at least it's not a ULV. 1080P screen. Delivery I think is 30 euro, not sure if I have to pay extra VAT and customs from Germany.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=102541&agid=728&apop=0

No Windows but not an issue... unless I can't find drivers D: Plus the mobo actually supports Haswell.

Edited by DanTheGamer11

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple days late, are we? :P It's a shame you didn't have your check sooner, my laptop ended up going like $350 below MSRP. 

Next year I might get a 11" laptop walmart has a good selection for under $400 sure, they aren't premium specs but mostly all I do on laptops is either download stuff or browse the web. I kinda like the glass look better on laptops then I do the plastic look.

Yeah I might! 

How does this laptop look? Another MSI but with backlit keyboard(maybe, no text saying so) and only 4GB RAM versus the other MSI I posted. Shame it's not a Haswell but at least it's not a ULV. 1080P screen. Delivery I think is 30 euro, not sure if I have to pay extra VAT and customs from Germany.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=102541&agid=728&apop=0

No Windows but not an issue... unless I can't find drivers D: Plus the mobo actually supports Haswell.

Looks pretty sweet, and what's with your obcession with Haswell?? Efficiency?? I doubt you'll see a huge performance improvement over Ivy bridge but I think the biggest improvement they worked on was efficiency (though 35W is 35W)

Imo, 4 GB will too little on modern computers especially for what you might be needing it for. Still, I would go for the Lenovo if it is pure work oriented, and for gaming you might want to look into MSI's GT series. I don't what they cost in Ireland, but they have some pretty good specs imo

Yeah I might! 

Looks pretty sweet, and what's with your obcession with Haswell?? Efficiency?? I doubt you'll see a huge performance improvement over Ivy bridge but I think the biggest improvement they worked on was efficiency (though 35W is 35W)

I was thinking I'd get better battery life and I heard it had AVX2.. not sure if that would benefit me tho.

@Prunes I get by good on 4GB but I'm not playing games so you're probably correct. If it isn't enough I can put in another 4GB for dual channel too :) Cheapest GT on Komplett.ie is 1600 euro :D

Extremely tempted to save up 100 euro extra and get this GX60 :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90530292/msi-gx60-a10897287-a10-5750m.asp

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Yeah I might! 

I was thinking I'd get better battery life and I heard it had AVX2.. not sure if that would benefit me tho.

@Prunes I get by good on 4GB but I'm not playing games so you're probably correct. If it isn't enough I can put in another 4GB for dual channel too :) Cheapest GT on Komplett.ie is 1600 euro :D

Extremely tempted to save up 100 euro extra and get this GX60 :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90530292/msi-gx60-a10897287-a10-5750m.asp

Hm since you said you don't plan on using it that much outside I"m guessing you'll be near your charger no matter what.

That MSI GX60 seems like a fine choice. Powerful GPU, the CPU is also decent and 8 GB of RAM. I've never seen an MSI laptop, but I've used lots of their other products and they have never let me down, so I'd say go for it.

Sadly I also want some power and that doesn't tend to come in a small package or configured the way I want. I'll see what the dealio is with the warranty(Am in Ireland whereas company is German), might find something lighter during that time. Maybe at the weekend, College first :)

Sadly I also want some power and that doesn't tend to come in a small package or configured the way I want. I'll see what the dealio is with the warranty(Am in Ireland whereas company is German), might find something lighter during that time. Maybe at the weekend, College first :)

Just remember that large items are obviously a painm in the ass, I made that mistake in getting a 17.3" laptop. If you plan to carry it around just don't get a big one. I think 11-15"s are pretty awesome then larger notebooks, found that out the hard way. Just make sure it has HD out and you can always connect to a bigger display as I usually ues a 32" display with my laptop

Just remember that large items are obviously a painm in the ass, I made that mistake in getting a 17.3" laptop. If you plan to carry it around just don't get a big one. I think 11-15"s are pretty awesome then larger notebooks, found that out the hard way. Just make sure it has HD out and you can always connect to a bigger display as I usually ues a 32" display with my laptop

Yeah, not that I've owned anything bigger than a 15.6" but I don't think I ever will because it's the perfect size. I've had a 14.1 before and it was ok but 15.X" just has it all. (I do miss the 16:10 aspect ratio of my second laptop though, 16:10 ftw! 15.4" master race lol)

A friend of mine from county had a 20" laptop, it was like a table but it felt pretty cool. (settled down off your lap and not carried of course) Like something you'd picture the president setting up to run the country off of in a cave. :lol:

Edited by IVIYTH0S