P5q Pro From Asus - Another P45 Motherboard Reviewed

Nemo

Nice review Mat. I love my P5Q Premium and this looks like a winner also :)

I'm looking at my nice shiny P5Q-VM box right now, installing tonight (with 2gb of Patriot 800mhz 2-2-2-12 an E8400 aand an Arctic 7 cooler), the same chipset but no X-fire (don't need it) and onboard VGA, in fact you might want to check out the Asus site, there's quite an array of different P5Q's with different features but all with the same chipset and overclocking bios features.

One thing I have had a problem with, and I don't know if this affects the higher end P5Q's is the motherboard temps show as being mid to high 40's even at stock, despite ambient being 21 and the CPU at 36, after a bit of worrying about the Northbridge cooling I found the "problem" the temp sensor is up in the right hand corner of the board, by the CPU fan header and probably behind your optical drives. This won't be showing as such a problem if your power supply draws air from the back, however, if like mine, your PS draws from beneath this area of the board lives in a nice toasty bit of dead air. I cured mine by poppong a spare 80mm fan, cable tied to the back of a couple of spare drive bays and the motherboard temps immediately dropped to 25 degrees.