Supreme Court to Judge on Gaming

Dariuas

People who kill people usually have mental issues, it just makes others feel better blaming it on the video games and not on the issues the person had :glare:

I have played many violent games and sick messed up games(GTA, just think of what you do there..) and yet I have never wanted to take a knife or gun and go kill random people on the streets. I do get angry occasionally but not angry that makes me want to kill. Blaming video games is lame, and so is the rating for games. A person who is 30 and has mental issues should not play games like GTA because he can probably not handle it. An 8 year old who is normal and has no issues could probably handle it.

People in America just can't take being the ones who did it. You can't say anything wrong or else you get a lawsuit on your butt. Example: A teacher cannot tell a student he will fail and never make it to college, even if he gets straight D's every year(70%<. yes in my school district a 70 is a D). He has to tell the kid that he will make it if he works harder and blah blah blah. The teacher would get fired if he did not say this.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/26881/

Violence in video games has been a big question in political minds around the globe,

now, the powers that be will make a final decision on video games.

Do you believe video games are the cause of video game violence?

Do you think the government should have the right to regulate video games?

Do you think video games are a form of art?

Lets hear your thoughts!

I do not believe video games cause violence.

I do not think the government should have the right to regulate video games.

In some ways it is a form of art.

This is just another way for the government to push thier agenda. Getting in your home and telling you want to eat, drink, what doctor to go to, what to watch, what to play, how to raise your kids and so on.

This is just another way for the government to push thier agenda. Getting in your home and telling you want to eat, drink, what doctor to go to, what to watch, what to play, how to raise your kids and so on.

we'll see how they feel when I..... DON'T PAY MY BUS TICKET AND JUST SNEAK IN TO JACK A FREE RIDE. That aughta show em who's in charge.

I dont think so.

Videogames could be harmful if they are used by people who have violent-tendences and if they have another problem in real life. For example, a guy who have a father who beats his mother. He will use the videogames to express his fury.

Online games generate fury aswell but I think that if the one who uses it, is someone conscient about it then there is no problem.

Sometimes I get kinda angry with videogames but I dont hit people for that and I maybe can insult someone over the internet but its a GAME. Just like Football (soccer) .. havent you ever insulted someone playing football?

I think politicians should be more worried about violence in competition because that's what makes people become violent in GAMES (video-GAMES or not) is the thing of be better and win the opponent. Isnt Boxing sport violent? "UFC® Ultimate Fighting" isnt that crap and those crazy guys violent animals?

And games such as Grand Theeft Auto or Carmaggeddon they are violent (like thousands of other games). But at the end, who is playing must understand its only a game.

When I play GTA I like to kill and punch people but in my real life I have never had a single fight with no-one, so Im not violent at all. And because I like to shoot police in GTA doesnt make me want to do it in real life at all.

If someone with mental sanity play videogames; then there is no problem at all.

So. Maybe there should be a restriction to who is being sold a game to, but not for all.

You can also hear music (hard rock/nu metal, etc.) and feel will to kill people, or watch a movie of war and feel angry.

Its all about the person. Not the game.

I have played many violent games and sick messed up games(GTA, just think of what you do there..) and yet I have never wanted to take a knife or gun and go kill random people on the streets. I do get angry occasionally but not angry that makes me want to kill. Blaming video games is lame, and so is the rating for games.

This is a pretty typical response. I play disturbing games but I don't kill people => Nobody will kill people because they play disturbing games. Get used to it, there are people like this.

Of course not all kinds of video games should be allowed. I wouldn't like to see a game in my local video game store where you can do disgusting things to children. Ew.

Video games are art. Obviously, not all kinds of art is legal.

I love that everyone has so much passion around this! Let me pose a few more questions

There is no doubt that violent video games exist, I've read GTA multiple times in these threads, and made mention of it in my article.

What about games that show grotesque and overly violent actions? Games such as such as JFK Reloaded which allows players to relive that fateful moment in history; or games such

as Postal, which is just a person running about with can's of gasoline lighting people on fire, and then putting them out with urine? Do these games belong on computers?

There's a game where you shoot the president? I guess I really shouldn't be surprised that I haven't heard about it until now, I'm sure I will be getting a visit from the FBI at 4 in them morning now that I do know about this game. :lol:

I think all games belong on computers! Mostly because I don't like missing out on some of those console exclusives, jokes aside though, I don't think there is any game that is too violent or so violent that it shouldn't exist. To have the government take these kind of games off the shelf of stores just means that they will be even more likely to go onto torrent sites. Making something illegal isn't going to stop crime, it only gives people one more crime to potentially commit.

I have a question for anyone that might know the answer off the top of their head, if we did see a game like Postal become illegal, would that also make the movie of it illegal?

I think the Postal movie, or any by Uwe Boll for that matter, is already illegal in most countries. :lol:

The thing about violent games, of any type, is that people have to know they are just a video game. That fact is lost on some people, like certain politicians, who view these games are life simulators. Yes, the games are simulations but how many people honestly think that to get ahead in life you have to steal cars, run over hookers, and then blow crap up just to get money? Answer: no sane person!

Games are a form of entertainment. If the governments wants to censor everything, then how about banning R-rated movies, music that carries a Parental Advisory warning, illicit forum posts/text messages, and EVERYTHING else that gives people entertainment in some form or another?

If parents just raised their children properly instead of popping them out without giving a damn, and teaching them what right and wrong is, this issue would never come to exist.

Instead we have incapable parents that let their children grow up with GTA5 and never tell their kids "Hey, it may be fun to beat up a hooker in game, but in real life you'll go to prison and be another man's play thing". Then issues like this appear.

rant off...

On topic..

As to the questions posed in the first post:

1. No for the above rant-y reason

2. No, unless they regulate cheesecake, then yes go ahead, it ins't worth to live anymore :P

3. Grey area, but mostly yes for the first gen stuff, no for the more modern rehashes :\

I love FPS's... it's easily my favorite game genre, but I was told once that I can't shoot random people on the street just because I want a high score or a huge killstreak. Bummer :lol:

I love to see this; I don't know if I've mentioned this in this thread, or previous posts; I am a game software development major, and I want to create games that have guns and swords, and chopped off heads, and a plethora of other things in it. It bugs me to no end that our government would even consider this. Game development, in my opinion is the highest form of art; it includes every aspect of it, music, movies, art, story telling, all of it.

The guys at BullSh!t did a great episode on this.

i cant see how they could waste so much energy at time on something like this.

i dont think video game violence accounts to anything in the real world, in fact its probably more of a vent for some "troubled" kids to kill the virtual hooker with a car over and over.

they shouldnt be allowed to control what games I play , it should be my choice what I do.

can only imagine all these political suits that probably cant even name all the consoles or hold a controller without looking like a confused chimp :)

hopefully my country doesnt do anything silly :s

TL;DR

No

No

Yes

I find the Supreme Court ruling upon this just down right idiotic. It should be considered under the first amendment as a freedom of expression thing. Plus I believe that people have the right to do as they please while not infringing upon the rights of another person.