Windows 8 Salvation

ir_cow

So my 2007 Dell D820 died the other day so I ended up getting a Asus Ultrabook for $450, works great for the price. Anyways it came with windows 8 and it is truly horrible we all know. So here is some quick tips to stop you from uninstalling win8 and putting 7 or even xp on your new laptop.

-WIndows 8 3rd Party Start Button. - AMAZING, I didn;t know how much i used the start until they removed it.

-msconfig is now built into the end task menu "Cntrl+Alt+Del"

-Half remove the stupid windows 8 squares and boot right to desktop. Disable your "connected" account they make you do in the account options under your newly installed Start menu control panel. The long way is to search for control panel (painful with the start button).

I hope you like those little tricks beause it saved me from installing WIndows 7 , costing me more money.

I'm not sure why there are so many haters with Windows 8... ive been using it for the past month or so and dont have any issues with it. Never had a crash that wasn't caused by myself (bad overclock for example). And the 7 second boot time is damn amazing.

Its human nature to hate change. Are you sure the fact that its different isnt why everyone seems to think "its horrible"?

• Like 1

It appears to be a "what you do and how you do it issue."  Some things are simplier on 7 or a reskin of 8.

For what it is designed for 8 seems to be fine..  I do NOT see the need to accept it uncritically.

MS is asking me to pay to use their "new" system when 7 suits my usage. dumb MS.  lazy me?

Also cheap upgrade should have lasted longer.

windows 8 is built around idiots and i konw this becuase i no longer get questions about windows 8 like "how do i log onto wifi" because now it's a gaint box half the size of your screen asking you. Everything can be done in the Squares with a single email address but what they failed to reailze is unless you are 100% new to computers than every program and account has a different email or password (your password shouldn't be the same for everything anyways). Therfore if i want to use skype i must make a new account just so i can keep my normal email address. The work around is to disable your "connected" account. Like I said windows 8 is idiot proof and the only questions i get now is from people who are use to something more than MacOS.

edit: I had to download windows 7 skype on my computer because skype would not let me download a different version on my laptop. you see idiot proof.

Edited by hornybluecow

So of the apps are really full of bugs. I could not get a reliable Skype recorder to work with the app version so I use the desktop version. HBC you just need to give it a chance, I have converted a lot of people over to Windows 8 and once they get over what they think they are missing and learn to use the new interface they are fine. As for everything being built around a single email, that is just lazy on your part at learning what is there. The base email basically gets email and calendar, which is part of the email and that is it. I use different accounts for a lot of my apps and programs with no issues.

BTW just noticed what your last line was saying, you can download Skype for Desktop onto Windows 8, it is EASY!

eh, i would still install windows 7 in a heartbeat if it was free. I use the start button to open everything and its simple and effective. removing it just makes it hard to do anything. Also I couldn't download skype on windows 8 because it sent me to the M$ store which requires me to be signed into a account. That is why i used my tower to get skype and send it to my laptop that way.

If they just removed the squares (like completely so I don't constantly get sent back to it trying to open an app) and brought back the start offically than i would be fine with windows 8. It's basically a updated code of 7.

Getting skype on win 8 isn't that hard.

1. go to skype.com

2. click downloads

3. scroll down to choose another version

4. select Windows Desktop.

Done!

Also I have been using Windows 8 for about a month now and I am loving it, and with no mods. It's just a case of getting used to the new GUI