car audio

olokul

ok so i'm in the process of buying a subaru wrx 4-door car.... have one on order will be here in 4-6 weeks.

I will not be moving any of the door speakers or headunit over to the new car just the subs and amp.

MRP-M2000 alpine amp

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrp-m2000/

and two SWX-1243D subs alpine 12" Type X

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swx-1243d/

Ive been looking at replacing the subs now for a while but havent found anything yet. been looking at

12" RE XXX subs

jl audio 12w7ae-3

has anyone used these? will that be to much for the car to handle, or does anyone have any other suggestions for subs

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you want to replace the subs? A different box will probably get you far more than simply swapping the subs out for another model. You certainly don't want to drop that kind of coin on some XXXs or W7s - what you have is already far more than you probably need to keep up with your front stage (which you haven't mentioned, but I'm hoping you're getting an amp for).

EDIT: Especially with 19mm of Xmax already - you don't need new subs. :P

I personally am not a fan of the jl subs. They are LOUD, and they are reliable, but the sound quality leaves something to be desired. To be honest, I would stick with what you have. The stock audio system probably wont be able to match the sound level's that your current subs produce. Why go louder when your already going to be drowning out the mids/highs, unless you turn down your amp gain considerably?

If you must go loud, I personally like the sound of the boston acoustics SPG's. They are expensive, but just one of them is going to out perform your current setup. They are fully rebuildable as well, in the rare event that you cook one of them.

Your current amp should be a good match for one of these.

SPG subwoofer

As much as I think alpine is overhyped a lot of the time they do actually make decent enough audio gear and if you already have two of their type x subs there is no point imo in selling them unless you can make some serious cash back on them ie $350-400 each selling them.

If you can sell them for that cash the natural upgrade path for you imo would be to get Boston Acousitics G5 subs or really you could make do with one with it's power output. They really are imo a sub that keeps getting forgotten they are a true sq sub and good value too.

You are from memory looking at a brand new wrx right? if that is the case as I believe it is I reckon you should grab yourself an Audison bit one sound processor and use that with the factory headunit, from there you hook it up to your amp/s that will drive the rest of your gear.

For component plits I would personally look at the hertx high energy hsk 165s or the focal polyglass splits the boston component splits also offer great sq and value for money. Unfortunately I don't know where to buy a g5, bit one or hetz/focal/boston splits in the usa besides crutchfield which either doesn't have or has discontinued the items.

I can find out your door speaker sizes and make some recommendations if you can find me some good stores to look at.

A better alternator and a second battery, if you don't some crazy voltage drop.

Useless, especially the second battery.

Upgrading the stock wiring is by far the best thing to do (from alternator +12v to battery +12v, engine to ground, battery to ground).

I had many thousands of watts in my old car and even the stock 105 amp alternator was more than enough after I upgraded all the wiring.

There's essentially zero reason to upgrade his subs to anything. They are far more than capable of being either loud, sounding good, or a mix of the two. He has more than enough power for them as well. His primary focus should be his front speakers and their amplification assuming his goal is good sound quality. :cheers:

There's essentially zero reason to upgrade his subs to anything. They are far more than capable of being either loud, sounding good, or a mix of the two. He has more than enough power for them as well. His primary focus should be his front speakers and their amplification assuming his goal is good sound quality. :cheers:

:withstupid: nailed it. i have an old school 2 x 12" Ultimate subs @ 250W each in a ported cabinet, powered by Audison LR1180M mono amp. i have decent lows with it yet it can go nasty still if i cranked 'em up :biggrin:

For component plits I would personally look at the hertx high energy hsk 165s or the focal polyglass splits the boston component splits also offer great sq and value for money. Unfortunately I don't know where to buy a g5, bit one or hetz/focal/boston splits in the usa besides crutchfield which either doesn't have or has discontinued the items.

you'll have no regrets with Focal, get the Polykevlar line (K series) if budget is not an issue. i have the Polykevlar 165K that i got since 2003, not a fanboy but i can tell it sings way way better than my MB Quart 6'' Discus splits.

vocals are more defined, instruments come to live and how i love how those fingers sounds plucking the guitar strings :evilgrin::thumbsup:

moved the Quart at the back since :teehee:

you'll have no regrets with Focal, get the Polykevlar line (K series) if budget is not an issue. i have the Polykevlar 165K that i got since 2003, not a fanboy but i can tell it sings way way better than my MB Quart 6'' Discus splits.

vocals are more defined, instruments come to live and how i love how those fingers sounds plucking the guitar strings :evilgrin::thumbsup:

moved the Quart at the back since :teehee:

I am personally a Hertz fan over the Focal splits both are undeniably brilliant but what I really want is Audison after getting a listen to a show car running TH K3 orchestra three way components in the front with a bit one processor and audison amp in between. However I cant justify spending as much money as your average second hand car purchase on a sound processor amp and front splits.

yeah, hands down with audison amps either. i'll be much happier then if i got the audison VR404 to fire up those 2 splits that i have.

tho the rockford fosgate punch 200 a4 sounds good with those but i guess it would be much 'refined' if they are paired with the audison's. :dunno:

Yes stoner i am going to be putting this in a new wrx, I ordered it with a stock stereo since i new i would be pulling everything out of the car to replace it.

budget is going to be around 4-5k for the hole car.

from this the first thing going in is a Viper 5904 alarm/remote start $800

For the head unit im looking at Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-Z130BT I had a pioneer HU a few years back so i already have most of the extra hookups for this unit.

Ok so you have a budget. Will stick with the alpine subs and amp and now have a pioneer HU. I guess its down to speakers, amp for speakers, and maybe a processing unit

With that kind of budget and subs taken care of.

I would say get yourself some sound deadening (dynamat, roadkill ect) and properly cover up your doors. Make some solid mounts for your aftermarket speakers and run fresh wire with a sound deadening mat to catch some of the backwave.

Then have your headunit (nothing wrong with pioneer I would even suggest it before finding out you have some of the add on components but $1.5k are you prioritising right?) I am guessing you didnt get any premo intergrated headunit and from what I saw from a quick search it appears subaru isn't going that way gets its a rather simple double din headunit swap. A little surprising but not in a bad way in.this day and age.

I have no idea what prices hertz or focal splits go for in the states without links to sites so cant recommend anything specific and without anything specific cant match an amp/amps.

I second what waco has said about rewiring the battery and alternator it is definitely worth the effort and money.

So sites please because crutchfield and sonicelectronix cant show me much of anything for an sq build I would be happy with in my own car.

Edit: forgot to mention no real point to a sound processor with a high end headunit that is already setting you back in excess of 1 grand. I seriously doubt your ears will be able to tell the difference although granted a processor like the bitone has lots of extra options for tuning and presets. It is really best used when intergarating an aftermarket system with an oem intergrated headunit/multimedia system.

Edited by Stonerboy779