A newbie in need for help

Hi all,

Im a newbie of this website and OC as well. so I hoped that yll would kindly assist me on my current issue =) (and apologize if im posting at the wrong place)

Im currently using;

Processor : FX 8350 AMD

GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5

Liquid Cooler : Antec Kuhler 620

RAM : 16GB Corsair Performance RAM

Motherboard : ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Issue; (this is the result for both CPU + GPU at the same time on the stress test I did yesterday for around 20mins)

Hi Thariq! Welcome to OCC forums!

This seems the appropriate topic since you are having issues / questioning with overclocking.

The first thing I notice is you do not mention the benchmarks / stress tests you used for temperature readings.

Proceeding with each points:

1- high idle temperatures could indicate low air flow in case : if you put the Kuhler 620 in lieue of a fan, it is going to reduce the airflow in the case.

2- 47 on idle is a tad high as well. 65 with stock clocks/voltage is surprising to me as 8350's have soldered dies. I never tried a closed loop watercooler and maybe the guys here can support you more. What was your temp. monitoring software?

3- Once you reached the stabilisation point, this will occur (2 hot tubes). Is the fan cleared of obstruction? Did you put your case in a closed desk ? Do you have settings to have minimal noise? How is the fan wired?

4- OK, wow, this is a special one.  Have you tried to look in the BIOS how much RAM is installed? Since you have a 64-bit OS you should see all your installed RAM, unless you once used a RAMdisk. I / other users at OCC we would need more details.

Just hope I could set you on track so you can go forward

heyy Stefenheif ^^

thanks a bunch for your reply! ok lets go straight to the point....

1 - what does benchmark and lieu mean?? =/ (apologize for the stupid question) and for the stress test, i use prime95 for processor and furmark for GPU and i used it both at the same time to test both of my CPU and GPU to make sure its stabilize (which sometime i read from somewhere)

2 - right?? im confused as well on why is it quite high when its not suppose to be that high =/ furthermore, even though when idle its 47. but sometime it keeps increasing to 50c and above as well for no reason..huhuhu im using the Asus AI suite 2 for the temp..it should be good enough right?

3 - ok again..another stupid question..huhuhu..stabilisation point/?? sorry but not sure if i understand what that is >_< well as if u look in the utube tutorial, the fan is exactly next to the radiator of course..i followed exactly like that..huhuuh..is it not correct? its open desk and well im not sure bout the minimal noise but the sound is definitely there and quite loud.. the fan wired as normal but i doesnt obstruct the fan hence the air should be in..

4 - no i havent look in BIOS as with this ROG BIOS, its a bit different hence i couldnt find the place for me to check. so im not sure on whether if both is there or only 1.. btw what is RAMdisk and what is OCC? lastly, i read somewhere that the max capacity for Win 7 64bit is not more than 8GB RAM. is it true? is there a way to bypass the settings?

5 - what do you think of my GPU temp? its ok right? good enough right? or is it overheating?

yeahh thanks a bunch man!! im learning a lot of new stuff right now and its exciting!! always wanted to learn bout OC and this is F-ing awesome!! (btw sorry for the stupid question..hhuhu)

Edited by thariq

Welcome to OCC! First question, what is the ambient temp of the room your pc is in, meaning what's the temperature in the room, second question, how many fans have you got in your pc and where are they located ? 45 at idle is hot for that cpu but if the room is at 25 c it could be normal. Third question, what brand case do you have ?

Edited by SpikeSoprano

heyy spikesoprano ^^

1 - im from malaysia so the temp averagely is around 25c-35c i guess...

2 - 1 fan top, 1 fan front, 1 fan bottom, and 1 fan (with the kuhler 620 attached together) behind.. and someone just advised to get another fan for the cooler for the push/pull thingy which im not sure on whether if its good or not...i mean it REALLY loud but is it good? and how do you set the fan? i don understand the logic =/

3 - im using the silverstone mid tower redline rl01. so what do you think?

Hey Thariq, if your room temp is that high your pc temps would be higher than normal and your video card temps are fine, 65 c at load is good actually. w7 64 bit will support 64 gb of ram so if it's only showing 8 gb you will have to check that out, maybe the ram sticks are not in the proper slots, your mb manual should show what slots to use. Using prime for benchmark tests would probably run your cpu to 65c but most apps and even games would not run it that high. Don't worry about the radiator hoses as they will both be a little warm.

u sure?? then how come everytime i play my game, skyrim for example..at 1 point, my pc became very hot and the game just suddenly shuts down..lots of time as well =/ is it suppose to do that? coz im a bit confused..

The temps you gave, 65C is great, actually unusually low.  Are you sure?  

What PSU do you have?

Perhaps your max OC on the GPU is not infact stable, needs more voltage or lower clocks.

Check in the bios, is it showing 16gb of ram there?  What does CPU-Z say under the memory tabs? Is it showing 2 sticks of ram at 8gb each or what?  Maybe 1 stick is just not seated right or even dead.

what is RAMdisk and what is OCC? lastly, i read somewhere that the max capacity for Win 7 64bit is not more than 8GB RAM. is it true?

You can use your ram as disk space, ram-disk.  It's faster than a ssd but limited in size.  OverClockersClub. 

Version Limit on X86/ Limit on X64

Windows 7 Ultimate
4 GB/192 GB

The temps you gave, 65C is great, actually unusually low.  Are you sure?  

What PSU do you have?

Perhaps your max OC on the GPU is not infact stable, needs more voltage or lower clocks.

Check in the bios, is it showing 16gb of ram there?  What does CPU-Z say under the memory tabs? Is it showing 2 sticks of ram at 8gb each or what?  Maybe 1 stick is just not seated right or even dead.

what is RAMdisk and what is OCC? lastly, i read somewhere that the max capacity for Win 7 64bit is not more than 8GB RAM. is it true?

You can use your ram as disk space, ram-disk.  It's faster than a ssd but limited in size.  OverClockersClub. 

Version Limit on X86/ Limit on X64

Windows 7 Ultimate

4 GB/192 GB

im using corsair (GS 800 if not mistaken) totally forgotten..im not at home so cant check..heheh but i think it was that 1..hehe

but yet both my GPU and CPU (havent OC yet) wont go higher than 65c for the time being..huhuuh..but 2nite im gonna try to OC my cpu :P

but thats the thing..i saw earlier in utube, someone OC their same GPU upto 1235 core clock with 5700 memory..like dafuq rite!!! and its stabil! i wanna OC that high but im not sure how...uhuh =( can someone please guide me on OC my GPU to this high!! >_<

faster than SSD?! really?! how do i do that? and im not sure...i dont really know how to use the cpu-z =/

I would say the game crashing has to do with the pc not detecting the proper amount of ram, as Red said check your memory sticks to make sure they are properly seated, then dl and run memtest 86 with one stick of ram at a time to test it. If I were you I'd stay away from oc'ing until you get it to run stable at stock settings.

If I were you I'd stay away from oc'ing until you get it to run stable at stock settings.

^  This.  

1st - Make sure that you are running the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.  If not, update BIOS

2nd - If you're already running the latest BIOS, clear CMOS (reset BIOS), boot and load BIOS defaults

3rd - After loading the BIOS defaults, go the memory settings section in your BIOS and manually set the four primary memory timings, memory voltage and set command rate to 2T

Save settings and then run Memtest 86+ for eight hours (or overnight).

Report results back here.

Were you using AI Suite for overclocking your CPU or were you working through BIOS?