Car Audio / New Deck.

greengiant912

So I am looking for a new deck for my car. I want something with bluetooth capability for my iPhone with playback and ability to answer phone calls and what not... I would also like the expandability for XM Radio, as I sometimes have my account active :P

This is the one I am look at currently....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P2400BT/Pioneer-AVH-P2400BT.html?tp=5684

It has all the features I am looking for... Anyone have any advice? Anything cheaper with the features I am looking for? I have been kinda outta the car audio scene for a few years so don't really know whats in lol..

Oh yeah I got a 2006 Monte Carlo :P

Edited by greengiant912

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the iPhone, direct control from the head unit?

Reversing cam? GPS? Or these just nice but unneeded.

Do you plan to add or do you have amp/s?

Bluetooth a must and what is XM radio?

I sold all my amps awhile back, I still have one sub somewhere. XM radio is satellite radio here in the US and Canada.

Bluetooth is a must. GPS meh, Reverse cam meh, most of the head units I have been looking at have it.

I would like to control my phone from the head unit, stream music, pandora is a nice feature, etc...

It sucks because I gotta buy like $150 adapter to work on my car due to the onstar system and what not.

This one has some nifty features to...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX719/Kenwood-DDX719.html?tp=5684

Oh this one has a lot of the same features but its $100 cheaper then the one above http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX419/Kenwood-DDX419.html?tp=5684

Edited by greengiant912

Well factoring in $150 adapter and the $500 head unit you just linked I must say you have a rather flexible budget.

Fair enough we really have no satellite radio stations here in aus.

At $500 you should be getting a unit with GPS reverse cam would be a pointless $30 add on :lol:

As far as the double din touch screen units go I will say the Sony units have great screens which is naturally understandable. Clarion, pioneer, kenwood have a pretty alright ui and screen quality but I do recommend playing with some display units at a local store.

Featurewise for price I would say clarion or kenwood (Sony pisses me off with some of its menus but for movie playback it looks damn nice). Units from alpine while alright are overpriced for what they offer imo.

My only issue is I have no idea of comparability with XM radio....

Will have a look tho.

Anywhere other than crutch field?

Edit: you should definately give this unit from pioneer a check out

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH

Sorry about my lack of knowledge on comparability with XM I know jack about satalite radio.

Edited by Stonerboy779

$500 is the max I would say. I would prefer a cheaper one, but I like the idea of a nice screen...

I have always stayed away from Sony in the past, they made some meh stuff back in the day...

I generally was a Pioneer and Infinity guy back in High School...

The big thing is I like the ability to integrate my phone into my car...

In the future I will be buying a car with this stuff already integrated... I was looking for a new car, but decided against it, as I will be wanting to pay off my school debt soon, and finish off paying this car off..

There are alot of radios that can do what you want. I would get the App Radio if your going with a pioneer, and a dbl din radio, it will basically control any app on your iphone, has a nice clean look. And then you only need to get the siriusXM app and pay for the internet service not the whole sat service plus a tuner for a specific radio. Almost every manufacturer are realeaseing new radios that with have BT controll for pandora, ipod, etc now for iphone and android phones, this month and next month they will be hitting the stores. You do need to be a bit carefull tho, even though theres a standard bt language not all BT are the same. For example and iPhone4s (AT&T) will normally sync and work with all devices as advertised, however and iPhone4s (Verison) will not.

There are alot of radios that can do what you want. I would get the App Radio if your going with a pioneer, and a dbl din radio, it will basically control any app on your iphone, has a nice clean look. And then you only need to get the siriusXM app and pay for the internet service not the whole sat service plus a tuner for a specific radio. Almost every manufacturer are realeaseing new radios that with have BT controll for pandora, ipod, etc now for iphone and android phones, this month and next month they will be hitting the stores. You do need to be a bit carefull tho, even though theres a standard bt language not all BT are the same. For example and iPhone4s (AT&T) will normally sync and work with all devices as advertised, however and iPhone4s (Verison) will not.

I was looking at the App Radio, and theres some things that I really don't like about it...

I don't really want to use my data plan for Sat radio, especially with ATT and there issues.

The App Radio 2 is coming out soon too, but its still pretty expensive and it doesn't have native xm radio compatibility...

Yeah Sony is still pretty meh but we started doing a few customer installs and me and Matt were genuinely surprised by the quality.

Blagh lecture now check the pioneer out that i edited in.

I think you will like it.

Especially in regards to its app and iOS comparability and I just noticed satalite radio services.

You'll get most details from pioneer and it's 500 on crutch

Yeah Sony is still pretty meh but we started doing a few customer installs and me and Matt were genuinely surprised by the quality.

Blagh lecture now check the pioneer out that i edited in.

I think you will like it.

Especially in regards to its app and iOS comparability and I just noticed satalite radio services.

You'll get most details from pioneer and it's 500 on crutch

Yeah, the one you posted is the model up from the one I originally posted...

I want to do something w/ my car so bad. It came with a really crummy stock GM stereo...

My brother just sold his Pioneer head unit which did all the navi/iphone/ipod hook up's. You can check out the Pioneer AppRadio. I hear it's really good since this the second updated version of the 1st gen. one, also has a capacitive touchscreen instead of resistive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4FDGWhK1A

My brother had this one, he got for $600 on eBay back last August, but recently sold it for more than he paid for it, lol. He didn't like after a while because it was overkill, he ended up just going for a single din and EQ underneath for his system.

Edited by MJCRO

My brother just sold his Pioneer head unit which did all the navi/iphone/ipod hook up's. You can check out the Pioneer AppRadio. I hear it's really good since this the second updated version of the 1st gen. one, also has a capacitive touchscreen instead of resistive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY4FDGWhK1A

My brother had this one, he got for $600 on eBay back last August, but recently sold it for more than he paid for it, lol. He didn't like after a while because it was overkill, he ended up just going for a single din and EQ underneath for his system.

Yeah, I mean I am ok with a single din, just as long as it dose the bluetooth, and streaming...