Probably need a new video card.

justlog

Hey everyone, so my computer have been suffering from artifacts and driver crashes for the last couple of days and as I looked for every single solution there is on the internet, I couldn't find anything to work other then using my warranty(which expired.)

The aforementioned card is the GTX 460, a series which known to have a lot of issues,and sadly for me it seems like my only way is upgrading my card.

Now I am in a bit of a pickle, seeing as my computer is something like 4-5 years old and it isn't really up to date, so my CPU is the E8400(not oc'ed atm) the mobo is some cheap Gigabyte one, can't really point the finger on the exact model, and the PSU is a Coolermaster 500W one.

oh and the RAM is a G.Skill 800Mhz 4GB.

So I've been looking on the GTX 660 which is pretty close to my budget and the question is, do I have to OC my CPU in order for this combo to work?

And if not, which other card can I go for?

Thank you in advance, Justlog.

The 660 should run fine with your cpu, and if not the e8400 is an easy cpu to oc. The only problem is it's only a dual core but a moderate oc should solve that. :rolleyes:

Awesome!

Quick question, should I upgrade my RAM aswell in order to achieve better oc results? 

I would try it with the 4gb and see how it goes, 8 would be nice but most games will run fine on 4 gb, the 660 has 2gb which should do fine. Having more than 4gb of ram should not affect your oc, and besides that ddr2 is pricey now.

Onemore thing, if you are planning to oc the cpu you might consider an after market cpu cooler  if you don't already have one, the cooler master 212 evo at around $30 is what I recommend !

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Onemore thing, if you are planning to oc the cpu you might consider an after market cpu cooler  if you don't already have one, the cooler master 212 evo at around $30 is what I recommend !

I think I have an Arctic aftermarket cooler, can't point the finger on the model though.

I've also got a recommendation on the latest R9 270X from AMD from mister wevsspot here :D

What's your opinion about them?

Video card dead/dying?

1)Is it in warranty?

---Yes, RMA it

or

---No, Bake it

2)Bake/RMA succeeds

---Yes, enjoy it or sell it and make the new card cheaper.

or

---No, buy a 570 from the nice man below.

And you could check out the OCC marketplace for a good deal on a GTX 570 card  

desismileys_4547.gif

+1

Video card dead/dying?

1)Is it in warranty?

---Yes, RMA it

or

---No, Bake it

2)Bake/RMA succeeds

---Yes, enjoy it or sell it and make the new card cheaper.

or

---No, buy a 570 from the nice man below.

And you could check out the OCC marketplace for a good deal on a GTX 570 card  

desismileys_4547.gif

+1

Bake it?

I would've bought it, but I don't live in the US so shipping's a b*tch.

Yes bake it!! You can literally bake a card back to perfect working order with nothing but an oven :)

Your card seems to be an EXCELLENT baking candidate since it's still partially working!

This was posted in some articale discussing the baking method and I saw this in the bottom of it and it scared the sh*t out of me:

EDITOR

I've never had any issues, naturally I knew to have the baking environment well ventilated but I think they might be over reacting. I'm sure the small amount of time you may or may not be exposed to these "hazardous fumes" pales in comparison to all the bodily harm one experiences from second hand smoke or gasoline fumes.

I haven't seen any members on here keel over and many of them have baked their stuff :P

Exhaust emissions are bad for your but you still don't think twice about walking around a city filled with idling cars

Edited by IVIYTH0S