NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650Ti Reviewed

Bosco

Now I am not going to dispute that at the end of the day the 7850 has more horsepower, it does, but does it make a difference in the gaming experience? I invite you to grab a few titles and really play the game not benchmark it. Play Boprderlands 2 on a 7850 then on a 650TI and tell me there is not a game play experience difference in favor of the 650. Now play Dishonored on both and tell me that the 7850 in any way is better at game play than the 650.

Are you implying that even though the 650Ti is measurably slower that it'll play games better?

I beg to differ.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you implying that even though the 650Ti is measurably slower that it'll play games better?

I beg to differ.

Honestly, OCC really should switch to render time per frame which offers a better visualization of how a card performs than average frame rate. So, even if the 7850 offers on average higher frame rates, it could also have a more varied latency between frames which would make game look choppier.

not saying that is does though

Edited by CowKing

Honestly, OCC really should switch to render time per frame which offers a better visualization of how a card performs than average frame rate. So, even if the 7850 offers on average higher frame rates, it could also have a more varied latency between frames which would make game look choppier.

I've also seen cards at stock suffer with MIN FPS rates, while their AVG FPS still scores pretty well due to getting high MAX FPS. Usually overclocking will help against the low MIN FPS, though. I don't know why reference cards are sent out with such low clocks when pretty much all of them can be increased at least by 5% on stock voltages and perform much more stable. Low Core Clocks are horrid.

I beg to differ.

Beg all you like but it does not change things, in some games the 650TI offers a better gaming experience. I know it kight just be eye candy but lets face it that is why you have a good video card in the first place, to enjoy the eye candy. Play BL2 on both cards and then tell me that the 650TI did not deliver a more fun to look at game.

Raw horse power is good, no doubt but raw horse power is not the be all end all of the gaming experience.

Beg all you like but it does not change things, in some games the 650TI offers a better gaming experience. I know it kight just be eye candy but lets face it that is why you have a good video card in the first place, to enjoy the eye candy. Play BL2 on both cards and then tell me that the 650TI did not deliver a more fun to look at game.

Raw horse power is good, no doubt but raw horse power is not the be all end all of the gaming experience.

I don't know what eye candy you're dreaming up but Borderlands 2 looks the same on my 7870 as it did on my 660Ti.

Also - the 650Ti is slower on average when producing frames when loaded down thus it looks even slower than the average FPS charts show.

So yeah...I'd take the 7850 every time. :)

AKA Tech Report style?

We have just launched the MSI GTX 650 Power Edition OC Review as well for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_gtx650_pe/

Isn't that a Kepler based card though? Nvidia really makes figuring out what you're buying quite difficult. :lol: Sometimes a single letter determines whether you've got current-gen technology or something from over 1.5 years ago. :lol:

Isn't that a Kepler based card though? Nvidia really makes figuring out what you're buying quite difficult. :lol: Sometimes a single letter determines whether you've got current-gen technology or something from over 1.5 years ago. :lol:

Considering Kepler is the newest series and Fermi was the one for the 400 and 500 series, what are you smoking? :P

I beg to differ.

Jack up Physics in Borderlands 2 and play with both an AMD and NVIDIA product.

All game settings on maximum in the settings menu save for Physics on Medium the GTX 680 is around 140 FPS, On high it is around 74-75. On the HD 7970 the FPS is similar but when moved to high it tanks at 33-34.

Those are game experience changing numbers

Yes the GTX 650 is GK107

Considering Kepler is the newest series and Fermi was the one for the 400 and 500 series, what are you smoking? :P

You know what I meant. It's a Fermi card. :lol:

Jack up Physics in Borderlands 2 and play with both an AMD and NVIDIA product.

All game settings on maximum in the settings menu save for Physics on Medium the GTX 680 is around 140 FPS, On high it is around 74-75. On the HD 7970 the FPS is similar but when moved to high it tanks at 33-34.

Those are game experience changing numbers

Those with a 650Ti won't be running PhysX on medium or high. A 7850, on the other hand, can handle PhysX on medium as long as you have a decent CPU.