I want to use my gaming laptop with a larger monitor. Will this create

The display lag of the monitor I'm thinking about buying is only 9ms.

I just wanted to know if hooking up the monitor to my laptop (AND TURNING OFF THE LAPTOP MONITOR) would cause even more lag than I have now.

And if it does, would building/buying a whole new PC fix the problem?

I would like minimal lag for gaming purposes.

Does anyone know?

Simply having a monitor hooked up to your laptop will not create display lag. It will be entirely dependent on your monitor. In this day and age, 9ms is on the slower side, but still may be sufficient. It will be up to your eyes if you are to see a difference.

...would cause even more lag than I have now.

This part makes me question what's actually going on here.  If you're having performance issues with the built in display, chances are you will with external displays also.  Now if it's a case of the laptop just having an absolutely terrible panel paired with a capable system (I'm looking at you Dell 15Rs with i7s dedicated video and 1366x768 TN panels with horrid everything) then going the external monitor route may help you.  If low frame rates are the issue though it's not going to get better with an external display.

I don't see any specs listed anywhere so I have no clue if this would even apply to you, otherwise what Crow said  :withstupid:  <--I just wanted to use that for some reason, he's not stupid.

Simply having a monitor hooked up to your laptop will not create display lag. It will be entirely dependent on your monitor. In this day and age, 9ms is on the slower side, but still may be sufficient. It will be up to your eyes if you are to see a difference.

...would cause even more lag than I have now.

This part makes me question what's actually going on here.  If you're having performance issues with the built in display, chances are you will with external displays also.  Now if it's a case of the laptop just having an absolutely terrible panel paired with a capable system (I'm looking at you Dell 15Rs with i7s dedicated video and 1366x768 TN panels with horrid everything) then going the external monitor route may help you.  If low frame rates are the issue though it's not going to get better with an external display.

I don't see any specs listed anywhere so I have no clue if this would even apply to you, otherwise what Crow said  :withstupid:  <--I just wanted to use that for some reason, he's not stupid.

Game lag or display lag?

This is what I'm trying to figure out:

http://www.displaylag.com/what-is-input-lag-the-breakdown/

Also: there's nothing wrong with my laptop's display, I would just like a bigger display to game with.

What graphics do you have in the laptop ??

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GT 650M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: EDITED OUT (IDK IF THIS IS SENSITIVE DATA)

Display Memory: 4033 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1985 MB

Shared Memory: 2048 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: EDITED OUT

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (59.934Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Edited by helium_biscuit