Phone is Killing my Routers wifi

VDPD2005

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a little help with an issue I've been having with my phone and wifi.

Ever since I got the Galaxy Nexus and try to use its wifi, the router drops the signal for all wireless devices after a short time. Only a reset will get it working again, but it will continue to drop the signal every few minutes.

The problem is clearly the phone, I just can't think of any reason for this to happen though.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a little help with an issue I've been having with my phone and wifi.

Ever since I got the Galaxy Nexus and try to use its wifi, the router drops the signal for all wireless devices after a short time. Only a reset will get it working again, but it will continue to drop the signal every few minutes.

The problem is clearly the phone, I just can't think of any reason for this to happen though.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

I've never heard of a device lowering wireless range. Have updated the phone too the newest firmware/software?

Edited by MJCRO

Could be a wireless B/G/N issue?

I've never heard of newer devices not being backwards compatible, just that each new generation improves the bandwidth capabilities of wireless data rates.

BUT, I do know that if a router doesn't have dual broadcast: If a wireless G device connects, the router will switch from Wireless N to the slower Wireless G method, and so forth from G to B.

Could be that your phone is wireless B/G and your other devices have to actively switch wireless types? Hence why they go offline/undetectable and then come back on.

Seems like a longshot, but could be pertinent.

Bump: My girlfriend has a Kyocera Zio ($10 cricket black friday sale POS).. It doesn't disable the router when it connects, but it does cause issues endeniably.

If another wireless device is already connected: that device gets "kicked". My EVO 4G for instance will be disconnected from the network when she first connects. But the network is still avaiable, I just have to click back into it from my phone.

If nothing else is connected wirelessly: Her phone cycles back and forth between connected and disconnected from the WAN (Wireless Area Network).. I have to reset the phone or completely disable WiFi, and then set my device up to get "kicked" to get hers to stay connected.

So it doesn't affect my router, but clearly there are WiFi issues caused by some phones. I don't really know how to help yours, but maybe someone will read this and find our common denominator to help with your issue.

-Edited to add color, draw attention to specific line.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

All current wireless routers transmit @ 2.4GHz, the same as many wireless phones/cellphones, interference is fairly common. The only versions that are immune are 802.11a and 802.11n (802.11n can work at 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz.) A is/was rarely used as it has a shorter range (50m vs 100m) compared to 802.11b/g. So it sounds like your phone is just messing with your router, one of the two has to go to solve the issue.

Source: CompTIA A+ Comprehensive Guide

Edited by mikedosul

The router is trendnet TEW-633GR. It does 802.11bgn (2.4GHz only). My phone can do the same +a.

When other devices lose their connection, they cannot reconnect until the router has been reset.

My guess is that the router is getting too old to be compatible but it doesn't feel like its been too long. and I cant figure out what is incompatible.