Xbox One

bp9801

I thought it was today at midnight. way to go M$...it's the 21st not yesterday. Anyways after watching the video I'm 99% certain I will not be getting the next xbox. Its either back to sony or PC gaming. my 360 will serve as a netflxs /hulu box until it dies.

Practically everyone on OCC has a PC that's capable of gaming at higher fidelity than either console, so it should come down to exclusivity - are there any Xbox One or PS4 exclusive titles you really care about? If not, don't waste your money, IMO.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FAQ discussing always-on and DRM. (Xbox link is broken, linked to Engadget for now.)

The official FAQ starts off with the "always-on" DRM issue and also addresses used games, indicating that the box is designed "so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection," and that it does not have to always be connected. That said, it still "requires" a connection to the internet, promising cloud-based benefits for gameplay and more. Other questions answer things like whether the new console will require more power (no) and will our Xbox Live Gold subscriptions still work with the new and old hardware (yes).

When it comes to used games, the FAQ's response is also promising, stating "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games."

Oh, and no chance at playing Xbox 360 games or even Arcade games. But the good news is your XBL profile and Gamerscore transfer. Phew.

the Xbox One will not play your Xbox 360 game discs, nor will your Xbox Live Arcade games transfer (not to mention any other content that's dependent on the 360's hardware architecture, anyhow). That Gamerscore you've been earning, though? That's gonna transfer. As will your Xbox Live Gamertag.

Sadly, due to the x86 architecture of the Xbox One, the PowerPC-based 360 titles simply won't run on the hardware. Microsoft's not super worried about consumer reaction, though, telling Engadget, "We care very much about the investment people have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future," a Microsoft rep told us. That said, Xbox One is designed, "to play an entirely new generation of games -- games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud."

When did MS talk about backwards compatibility? Or the licences? Granted it's very likely but no backup?

I didn't watch the event, but every source is reporting no backwards compatibility so it must been said somewhere, if not at the event, then maybe in a private interview.

I'm guessing it's only for Disc-games though, since they're going to Blu-ray. I would think XBL downloads would still run since the architecture is the same (as opposed to Sony going from Cell to x86).

Ah there has been a few sources mentioning a chip but it looks like a no show, a real shame, since that was what was really a standing point compared to the PS4.

It shouldn't really matter though. When you say Blu-ray do you mean DVD compatibility with the games or what?

Well what I mean is that not all Blu-ray players can play DVDs unless that functionality is built in. Again, I didn't watch the event, so I'm not sure if DVDs are supported or not, just saying that could be one reason 360 games are incompatible. If not...if Xbox One can read DVDs...then that's a stupid move on MS's part since that could have been the one major positive difference compared to the PS4.

FAQ discussing always-on and DRM. (Xbox link is broken, linked to Engadget for now.)

The official FAQ starts off with the "always-on" DRM issue and also addresses used games, indicating that the box is designed "so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection," and that it does not have to always be connected. That said, it still "requires" a connection to the internet, promising cloud-based benefits for gameplay and more. Other questions answer things like whether the new console will require more power (no) and will our Xbox Live Gold subscriptions still work with the new and old hardware (yes).

When it comes to used games, the FAQ's response is also promising, stating "We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games."

Oh, and no chance at playing Xbox 360 games or even Arcade games. But the good news is your XBL profile and Gamerscore transfer. Phew.

the Xbox One will not play your Xbox 360 game discs, nor will your Xbox Live Arcade games transfer (not to mention any other content that's dependent on the 360's hardware architecture, anyhow). That Gamerscore you've been earning, though? That's gonna transfer. As will your Xbox Live Gamertag.

Sadly, due to the x86 architecture of the Xbox One, the PowerPC-based 360 titles simply won't run on the hardware. Microsoft's not super worried about consumer reaction, though, telling Engadget, "We care very much about the investment people have made in Xbox 360 and will continue to support it with a pipeline of new games and new apps well into the future," a Microsoft rep told us. That said, Xbox One is designed, "to play an entirely new generation of games -- games that are architected to take full advantage of state-of-the-art processors and the infinite power of the cloud."

Wow, I knew Cell differed greatly from x86, but I didn't think PowerPC was all that different. But if that's the case, then like the PS4, that simply makes sense from a technical standpoint. Sony at least has Gaikai to make up for it...so guess that's another point for PS4. Ouch.

I guess it might be easier for devs to port over games from Windows now that the OS is based on the W8(I assume) kernel?

A shame for Mincecraft 360 edition, imagine if they re released it and you had to pay again.

Bum Deal

Nice to hear about the trading in deal though, but you need to pay to install? Hope that Blu-Drive is quite, seems like the ability to play without the disc is a privilege? I wonder if they'll have random disc checks to see if you still own the game and haven't sold it off.

Edited by DanTheGamer11

Xbox One uses a rather unique method for the OS, as it runs not one but three simulatenously. There's the main system OS that's a paired down version of Windows for apps and non-game software downloaded from the store, an "Xbox OS" to handle games, and finally a third OS that's really more of a virtualization helper to make sure the main and Xbox OSes can talk to each other. The Xbox OS is a fixed component throughout the Xbox One's lifespan, so developers know that won't change regardless of what kind of updates Microsoft rolls out to the main OS. These OSes enable the multitasking of the console, especially with the HDMI passthrough for a cable/satellite box. However, even though Xbox One runs a modified version of Windows, developers won't be able to drag and drop PC apps onto the console. Microsoft says it's possible, but it requires some coding and UI tuning to make it work.

Added that into the OCC article from here.

Not all that impressed. Hopefully E3 will be much better, I would be bad if they showed everything before E3 then just replayed the same stuff again :(

Not too thrilled about used game fees and having Kinect as a requirement. The only positive side to that is you get a Kinect with the console. If they can port XBMC to Xbox One or PS4, that would be interesting for people like myself who use local playback rather than subscription-based streaming services.

Sticking with PC.. In a way I realise they did this so that people will not be able to mod the console like they did with the 360...Removing backward compatibility?? No thank you.. 

If my PS3 died (knock on wood) i was considering this one but if I had a chance now I will go for the PS4..

AMD have confirmed on their Facebook page the Xbox One will be powered by a semi-custom AMD APU (can anyone see a trend developing here?) ;)

(Troy, don't even think of stealing this article...it is mine for tomorrow) :D

I thought it was today at midnight. way to go M$...it's the 21st not yesterday. Anyways after watching the video I'm 99% certain I will not be getting the next xbox. Its either back to sony or PC gaming. my 360 will serve as a netflxs /hulu box until it dies.

Practically everyone on OCC has a PC that's capable of gaming at higher fidelity than either console, so it should come down to exclusivity - are there any Xbox One or PS4 exclusive titles you really care about? If not, don't waste your money, IMO.

I play on the console because everything about gaming is better than the graphics compared to the pc . no cheating , easy friends and chatting , easy to buy and sell used games . I don't care about the Xbox exclusives . halo hasn't been good in a while ( beat them all ) . gears ip is m$ ad epic is working on something else . so really the Xbox has good online and good friends system .