Hmmmm 3 PSU fried

Well I have 2 desktop computer ATM.

1 of year 2000 and other 2005

The one of year 2000 doesnt have a stabilizer. PSU still on a is a "Sunshine 250W"

The one of year 2005 (with stabilizer) had 3 PSU.

500W Vitsuba. Burned like 2 year ago+

450W Codegen Burned like 1 year ago+

500W ¿¿¿???? Burned Friday (I think)

The last PSU I tested (without being connected to the mobo and any other component) making a connection between the green (P-ON) and the black (mass) cable and PSU not turning on.

I tried the same 2 days ago and It worked but now is like DEAD DEAD.

Well I dont know is normal to burn 3 PSU in 5-1/2 years?

ps: I do not know nothing of elechtronics so this afternoon I will go my friend's house to test PSU voltages but it is very likely to be fried because it doesn't even turn on. I oppened it and there are not exploded capacitors.

Well I have 2 desktop computer ATM.

1 of year 2000 and other 2005

The one of year 2000 doesnt have a stabilizer. PSU still on a is a "Sunshine 250W"

The one of year 2005 (with stabilizer) had 3 PSU.

500W Vitsuba. Burned like 2 year ago+

450W Codegen Burned like 1 year ago+

500W ¿¿¿???? Burned Friday (I think)

The last PSU I tested (without being connected to the mobo and any other component) making a connection between the green (P-ON) and the black (mass) cable and PSU not turning on.

I tried the same 2 days ago and It worked but now is like DEAD DEAD.

Well I dont know is normal to burn 3 PSU in 5-1/2 years?

ps: I do not know nothing of electronics so this afternoon I will go my friend's house to test PSU voltages but it is very likely to be fried because it doesn't even turn on. I opened it and there are not exploded capacitors.

I've never heard of any of those PSU's. Chances are they are cheaply and shoddily made knock off units and are dying because they lack quality components or are poorly designed, or both. My recommendation is: buy a quality PSU through a reputable retailer. A PSU that has a history of longevity and stable output signal...

• Like 1

Well I bought another Codegen 500w (not real probably) a little bit better than a generic ($AR110), but I dont wanna spend AR$300+ on a good PSU. I expect this to live 2 years at least (plz god). Computer already have 5-1/2 years and from now on it will be used by my father/mother/sister and they do not play games as I use to so they wont FULL LOAD the PSU like I do... I know you all are correct but for my next computer (I'll be buying this month I believe) I will buy a really really GOOD PSU (Cooler Master I think), because I will buy very good components and I want to be safe.

Well this PSU is 500w but Im not sure how much wattage can output in reality. I've calculated and I need 255w (I calculated online). Its the computer on my signature. Those are the specs.

ps: I didn't get the Video linked. The PSU is said to have 450W and at 350W it explodes? Well I believe I dont use more than 300w (at all) because of the calculation made and is said to have 500w. Mine didnt exploded.. It just died like an old man ^_^

Well I bought another Codegen 500w (not real probably) a little bit better than a generic ($AR110), but I dont wanna spend AR$300+ on a good PSU. I expect this to live 2 years at least (plz god). Computer already have 5-1/2 years and from now on it will be used by my father/mother/sister and they do not play games as I use to so they wont FULL LOAD the PSU like I do... I know you all are correct but for my next computer (I'll be buying this month I believe) I will buy a really really GOOD PSU (Cooler Master I think), because I will buy very good components and I want to be safe.

Well this PSU is 500w but Im not sure how much wattage can output in reality. I've calculated and I need 255w (I calculated online). Its the computer on my signature. Those are the specs.

ps: I didn't get the Video linked. The PSU is said to have 450W and at 350W it explodes? Well I believe I dont use more than 300w (at all) because of the calculation made and is said to have 500w. Mine didnt exploded.. It just died like an old man ^_^

Codegen 500w ...never heard of that one either...

what country do you live in? it seems like you're having a problem getting decent components...

You're better off getting a cheap PSU by a well known company than getting a expensive one from some generic manufacturer.

I suggest going for something like a Rosewill. My wife's computer has a 80+ 430W Rosewill that I bought for US $35, and it's still kicking butt.

Codegen 500w ...never heard of that one either...

what country do you live in? it seems like you're having a problem getting decent components...

I live in Argentina

The good brands I could get are

Thermaltake

XFX

OCZ

CoolerMaster

Sentey

and they are between $80USD and $180USD in the range of 600 - 800w (real I believe).

and the cheap generic ones are "supergeneric and no brand at all", "SP" (the last i had), "Vitsuba" (my 1st that last 3 years+), "Codegen" (the 2nd and current), "SharkNET", "Mustiff" and probably others. And this ones goes from $AR60 to $AR150 around 500 and 600w (not real I believe)

ps: $4AR = $1USD now you see because I look for cheap ones because if I buy for example a Thermaltake of $150 USD that is $AR600 wich is too much!!

Think about it this way, would you pay $190 for three PSU's that all die within 5 years, or pay $80 for one PSU that will last you 5 years? When you pay for something cheap, you get what you pay for. In the long run, it's better to have something reliable than having to repeatedly buy cheap items (like rechargeable batteries compared to disposable batteries).

When you pay for something cheap, you get what you pay for.

:withstupid:

Thats the most true statement in the world

But some no-name psu's are amazing , I had a Aopen 500 watt psu powering my 3.0ghz Core 2 Quad and 9800gt so it was pretty good

My primary problem with un-recognized power supply brands isn't so much with their length of service, as it is with the quality of the power being supplied or the consequences to other hardware if one goes bad. Over a period of time, "dirty" power lines will degrade the life of your sensitive electronic components. And if the long term exposure to ripple, voltage spikes or droops don't get something else, wait until a really bad power supply poops on you and take a motherboard or video card with it.

Most experienced/savvy tech users here aren't going to recommend nor bless a power supply that they don't have any personal experience with, or at minimum can't find a credible review(s) on.