Beyond: Two Souls

Nyt

Hey,

I couldn't find a thread on OCC for Beyond: Two Souls so I created one.

Any of you guys interested in or planning to get Beyond: Two Souls ? (For those who haven't heard of it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond:_Two_Souls - Releases 8 Oct in NA and 11 Oct in EU) 

I'm super excited for it. I loved Heavy Rain for it's unique storyline and gameplay and I hope Beyond is just as good, if not better :) Can't wait till it releases here in SA on Wednesday, 9 Oct :D

Would've been nice if it wasn't PS3 exclusive...

And overhyped just as I expected.

I knew something was up when they were so focused on advertising Ellen Page as the star over anything else - this is supposed to be a game, not a movie. Just another glorified choose-your-own-adventure. I've played several story-driven games that still had actual gameplay, so don't give me that excuse.

I don't watch "Let's Play" videos, but if any game deserves it rather than being bought and played, it's this one.

Well I'm enjoying it very much so far so here are my thoughts ...

The controls definitely take some time getting used to, and there's only two difficulty levels - One for people who "have never or rarely play video games" and one for people who are very familiar with video games - the 1st difficulty gives you more time for actions in slow-mo and it also shows you the direction to point the right stick in slow-mo events. I accidentally (I still don't know how) changed from the easier difficulty to the harder difficulty with no arrow prompts and it ruined a few minutes of the experience before I realized I could change back the difficulty. The Quick time events are really tricky as mentioned in the reviews because without the arrow prompts you will get very frustrated as it is near impossible to guess which direction to move the right stick. Even if you play tons of video games, go for the easier difficulty unless you have the amazing reaction speed of a Formula 1 or Indy car driver.

The graphics are beautiful, as is the acting - which is the best I have ever seen in a game. Really glad that Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page are in it - I can't see anyone else being able to pull off such a strange storyline to such an extent that it feels absolutely believable and a story you want to play through the whole night and finish 

Aiden is a really cool concept, and it is a little iffy at first since the controls for Aiden aren't fully explained in-game (probably because I haven't played the "Advanced Experiments" dlc which apparently teaches you the controls better) so you should really read the small manual to understand all of Aiden's powers.

The non-linear storyline is strange since it requires you to think and rearrange events (but the loading screen shows a timeline after each level so you can kinda wrap your head around everything that's going on) but the game pulls it off quite well.

Storyline is very paranormal, sometimes straying to really strange, but I like paranormal stuff so it's nice to have a game which deals with the theme in a mature real-world sort of way. Although if you don't like paranormal stuff, you probably wont enjoy the game that's pretty much all about a secret entity.

Worth the money if you are like me and don't mind paying the $ to experience an emotional 10-12 hour journey that feels like a movie in which you are the actor.

Edited by Knight_72
  • Like 1

Jim Sterling (Destructoid) gave it a 5. Mainly describing it as a victim of too much hype and simply put David Cage is not as talented as he thinks and shouldn't be in control of all that he is.

I quite enjoyed Heavy Rain for being a story driven "game" with a story not often attempted in games. it had plot issues but i was willing to overlook the majority of its holes. it did suck going for the platinum trophy though. I think i might wait for Beyond Two Souls to hit the bargain bin ($20-$30) before i pick it up

Edited by bilcliff