ECS L337 GANK Machine Z87H3-A2X Extreme Reviewed

Bosco

Okay...beyond the obvious and large number of jokes available with this...it is one ugly ass board! lol 

Well just try to keep the jokes civil... ish. :P

Too bad about the BIOS issues with it, hopefully that gets fixed soon.

What is it I am missing here? The review has an overall favorable tone, yet the board consistently tested near last in the pack. It did not show stock or OC performance to beat but ONE of the other MOBO's tested, so why a favorable tone to the review? At $220 I would demand MUCH better performance. 

Here is what you have to look at, THe reason it tests lower is that the base clock speed under Turbo Boost conditions only goes up to 3.7Ghz by default when all four cores are loaded. This is easy to fix by tweaking the BIOS on the board. Overall it is a well built board that needs some more BIOS tuning to truly make it perform. Any person forking out $220  for an enthusiast level board is going to understand that it will need to be tweaked to get the most out of it. All this board needs is a better BIOS IMHO,  This has been something of a weak spot with ECS over the years. For instance my review of their top of the line X58 board was held off for close to 6 months while they worked out a BIOS issue that would allow the system to function normally when a 64bit OS was installed.  Its a solid board with some tuning issues nothing more and nothing less.    

:shrug: it looks ok, i've seen worse (and a lot better). If your running an open/windowed case then cosmetics matter if not, then you'll never realy have to look at it.. and as someone mentioned earlier, once you get all your gear on there, you realy don't see much of the board..