NVIDIA GF100 Architecture Details

Nemo

I shoulda reworded it, I would "accept" the car but then immediately throw it up on that high priced card auction :D. I'd never be caught driving that

Chick magnet? Which girl wouldn't want to drive in a million $+ car?

I would drive it for a year or so, then sell it :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the 3D benches I cant seem to find them?

Specs on the system were the same except the video card 4x AA Very High 16AF forced on in the driver The minimum FPS difference between the 285 and GF100 was almost 30FPS. Oo did not physically show the numbers but I have them.

gf100 isnt that good,it might be just a little better than the 5870,in the benchmarks it was giving 84 fps same as the 5870 which was 82

Ill test with 4x aa Very High and 16AF in the control panel forced on to see if this is true!

Chick magnet? Which girl wouldn't want to drive in a million $+ car?

I would drive it for a year or so, then sell it :D

Have fun with the gas mileage (x2 with running premium), and insurance. Not to mention any chick that wouldn't get in my car now and get in that hideous monstrosity isn't one I'd wanna be with anyway. (In all honesty the back is OK, but the front makes me puke a little bit every time I see a picture of one)

Have fun with the gas mileage (x2 with running premium), and insurance. Not to mention any chick that wouldn't get in my car now and get in that hideous monstrosity isn't one I'd wanna be with anyway. (In all honesty the back is OK, but the front makes me puke a little bit every time I see a picture of one)

:blink: Recognize it for the engineering marvel that it is rather than the aesthetics. It's a beautiful car. B:)

:blink: Recognize it for the engineering marvel that it is rather than the aesthetics. It's a beautiful car. B:)

I lol'd at 10 radiators, it probably could have better looking IMHO. I can't attack anyone that likes how it looks though.

Do you realize you just contradicted yourself in the premise of your argument? :lol:

The numbers that have been posted mean nothing.

On the GPGPU side of things I agree. In terms of rendering the GF100 is little more than a souped-up GT200 chip (much like the RV870 is a souped-up RV770). The architecture is largely similar in terms of pushing polygons and shading...it's the computing side of the GF100 that's going to take the most work to make it efficient (both in terms of driver work and in terms of recoding existing programs to run efficiently).

How do you know that? :unsure:

The gf100 is little more the n a souped up gt200??????

Uhm, first person I ever heard claim that. Its actually built from the ground up and there are huge differences between the two. The whole chip was designed with DX11 in mind and is specially tuned to take advantage of it completely without losses if fps.

It kinda sounds like your saying that all gf100 is is a gt200 souped up and then they added "gpgpu side of things". or the reverse its a gpcpu with a souped up gt200????

Thats not it at all. There are so many things different. It is completely revamped. The advanced gpgpu features arent isolated or separate, you may have heard of them at seperate times but they arent to be separate. They are the fundamental to the entire gf100 gpgpu and gpu. They are the same in this design, not two separate functions on one chip. The card is well design and no matter if its graphics or GP computing it is all processed throughout the design. This GPGPU processes graphics entirely or say it reverse way this GPU processes GP computing data entirely within its design. gf100 will use every bit of itself to do either.

I do agree with you that the rv870 is a souped up rv770 here is from a great article

"When it comes to architecture, it is refreshing to see a chip that has been built from the ground up to cater to next-generation APIs. Whether they like to admit it or not, ATI basically took DX11 features and popped them onto a more powerful version of their HD 4000 series and called it a day. However, they were the first to market and made ridiculous profits while NVIDIA sat back and designed a whole new architecture around the thought of offering the best possible DX11 performance. Who will have the last laugh? Only time will tell but ATI does have a strong lead."

it goes in depth deeply about the inner workings of the gf100. It is very technical and a very good read. It puts the gf100 under the microscope and will shed lights on how much different fermi is and how this is in no way a card designed for GPGPU and then add a revamped gt200. Eveything about the card is graphics, the whole design is genus.

another qoute from this same article above. I really really suggest to read this, its plenty useful and a knowledgeable read.

"Many people incorrectly believed that the Fermi architecture was primarily designed for GPU computing applications and very little thought was given to the graphics processing capabilities. This couldn

Edited by ocre

The gf100 is little more the n a souped up gt200??????

I was simplifying greatly for ease of conversation. In terms of graphical performance each "CUDA core" will be likely be roughly on par with a "CUDA core" from the GT200 (yes, they'll be faster, but not by some huge amount). Not many of the things they added to increase GPGPU speed are all that important when doing DX9/10/11 rendering but they will speed up computation by a HUGE amount.

It doesnt matter too much as your opinion is just as good as anybodies but better than none. So again to you they mean nothing, as that is your opinion as well as who ever chooses such..... but they do not mean nothing unless you are the voice of everyone, please dont say you are!

Until they are in the hands of reviewers they mean nothing (to me, obviously). I said as much earlier in the thread. I don't care if you believe them or not but history tends to show that you shouldn't trust them.

Edited by Waco

Yeah I'm not going to think anything one way or the other until I see real numbers from a 3rd party source. How do I know nVidia isn't trying to hype up their own performance numbers a but. Also these are nVidias own personal demos not 3rd party ones which means they are optimized to run better on nVidia hardware.

Yeah I'm not going to think anything one way or the other until I see real numbers from a 3rd party source. How do I know nVidia isn't trying to hype up their own performance numbers a but. Also these are nVidias own personal demos not 3rd party ones which means they are optimized to run better on nVidia hardware.

Exactly.

They could easily be cherry-picked benchmarks with cherry-picked cards and all sorts of under-the-hood optimizations that aren't made known. Hell, they could be completely fake for all we know. :lol: