• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

One of my friends suggested i post here regarding my overclocking issues with my 2600k and age (maybe also windows 8...)

The CPU used to be a decent overclocker, able to do 5.1 GHz on 1.385v and LLC lvl 10 for shorter stints (staying below 80 degrees celcius), and 4.5ghz as my 24/7 oc using 1.305v and LLC lvl7, super stable and always below 65 degrees celcius.

Recently I upgraded to windows 8 (had the release preview and then used the upgrade discount), and since then i've had trouble getting my pc to boot up on anything above 4.5ghz (even tried  1.45v LLC 7 for 4.6GHz), and even on 4.5Ghz it is not stable for any decent length of time, giving me "machine check exeption" or "system service exception" or "dpc watchdog violation" bsod names, all going away once I back off the OC to something like 4.2 GHz on 1.32v and LLC off...

I've had this CPU for just about two years now, on the same gigabyte p67a-ud7-b3, the same silver arrow cpu cooler and the same corsair HX750w psu (the silver efficiency one)

Is this only processor aging? Is my chip dying? Could it maybe even be my motherboard or psu?

i get 4.8ghz on 1.37 why so high

Boot windows 8 again and it fails right on the log in screen after entering my password

Problem win Win8 or stability of your system.

Now you should lower the overclock to 4.2-4.3GHz, run win 8 for some time and then again, increase the overclock - gradually.

Your past vcore was not high at all. And there are many points to consider before saying that processor is dying.

I really doubt that lowering the LLC or turning it off affects Framerates in games and cause Bottlenecking as 4.2GHz is 4.2GHz no mather what.

Also, an i7-2600K should have enough power to not bottleneck almost every rigs.

What I meant to say with the framerate thingy, I notice that my framerate dips when looking at larger environments, without the gpu using more power to keep it at vsync, where with the 4.5ghz, i do not really get the framerate dips...which is odd cause 0.3ghz is really not that much!

Anyhow it appears that I just needed to find a new sweet spot vcore for 4.5ghz (currently 1.370v, llc off) after updating my bios, though this is running quite hotter than i am used to. 

PC has been stable for 22 hours now with that 1.370v (still using EIST), though it hasn't been doing much except for DLNA transcoding every now and then... 

Im suprised no one ask you what video card and what game you are playing. half the time it doesn't even matter what CPU you have, playing a game on ultra with max AA and AF is going to lag out or dip in FPS.

I play borderlands 2 most of the time that i actually play games, its with a MSI GTX660TI PE... the framerate dips are worse with a 4.2GHz oc than with a 4.5GHz oc, on which they are almost non-existant... 

Pure speculation..

Windows 8 may not, or this motherboard (P67) may not optimize with windows 8. Gaming sounds like a driver issue.

Overclock appears VRM control vs W8 possibility.

Maybe run a poll with people running W8 on P67 motherboards?  Though it cound be this particular motherboard series.

P67 chipset is without Intel video capability, W8 may be attempting to use the video function. 

W8 is visual obsessive.