PowerColor 4870x2 in CF

Braegnok

I was able to find a pair of the old Artic Accelero Extream coolers, with three 92mm fans and 31 RAM, VR heat sinks in a kit, on line but never ordered them. I guess with the upgraded cooler they would have run a bit more quiet, cooler. :lol:   

Im surprised to see this post. I fold too and I never got my HIS 4870 to work with F@H. I gave up after a month of trying and switch to a HD7770. After not getting good results I switch to a MSI 660ti PE. So so much better.

I also ran benchmarks between the HD7770 vapor-x vs the HIS 4870 1GB and the 4870 won more then i thought it would. I had to OC my CPU for the HD7770 to win. Just food for thought. The 660ti kills both of them in benches and F@H.

These cards are not a 1GB 4870 card,.. they are dual 4870 GPU cards with 2GB 512-Bit GDDR5 and 3200 stream processing units per card. A single card out performs my 2GB Asus 7770 cards hands down not even close, and with two 4870X2 cards in CrossFire you basically are showing 4-4870 gpu's in QuadFire, with the correct configurations, settings, drives and a mild overclock, two 4870X2 cards in CF will benchmark at a single HD7970 level. But they use twice the power consumption and run vary hot, with loud fans, as expected for a 2008 card compared to a 2012 card.

I understood your configuration. Part of my comments were in support of your earlier statment of why the 4870 was better then the 7770 in some cases. I had to overclock to cpu to help the HD7770 Vapor-x Ghz Edition beat the 4870 at stock. It was because of the same reasons you listed earlier. The added features between a 4xxx gpu vs a 7xxx gpu is why I switched. I was kind of disapointed in the results however it was quite and didnt gulp power.  You dont have to tell me about power, heat and noise, the HIS 4870 was insanely load and hot. I mounted a Phanteks 140mm to aide in cooling.  I was thinking about picking up another 4870 for my kids PC to run in CF.

What kind of results are you getting in F@H with the two 4870x2s?

The best configuration I found for the 4870 GPU was with Catalyst 11.2 WHQL, V6 client flying core 11 WU flag @ 3726 PPD per GPU or 14904 PPD combined,.. the newer core 16 project 11293 work units would not even fold or had issues Folding with the 4870 GPU. So you will get better WU's and higher points per day not running the V7 Client or V6 clients that support open CL core 16 WU's, with the old 4870's. The newer WU's fold better with 5000 and up AMD cards.

If your planning on buying a older graphics card for folding, I would go with NVidia cards, running GPU3 V6,.. The 560 TI will do 13000 PPD, using vary little power, per point overall consumption and is vary easy to configure.

Any folding is good folding, but if you can keep it simple with less maintenance and low overhead running 24/7, will not give you grey hair. :lol:

You can see where the AMD cards rank on the PPD chart, the AMD 4870 is not a huge PPD GPU,.. considering it's power draw per point, and how difficult it is to configure and all the maintenance required to keep it folding, I would not recomend buying one for Folding. 

Edited by Braegnok

Thanks for the info. The 4870 has been retired from folding. It is now in the kids Pc for them to play games on. When I find a cheap one Ill get them a 2nd for cf. Right now I using the 660ti from 12am-9am M-F for folding. Rest of the time Im working or playing games. Thats when the PS3 comes in. 6hrs a day M-F. I want to get a 2nd 660ti for myself but money is tight. Maybe Ill sell the wife or one of the kids on craigslist to raise money. :no:

Glad you got the 4870x2 working

• Like 1