Crosshair V Formula 990FX vs Sabertooth 990FX vs gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which one should I buy?

• Crosshair V Formula 990FX
    • Sabertooth 990FX
    • Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

I don't know if it is correct to post this here. :P

I am looking for my next motherboard with a 990FX chipset AM3+, and I am divided between these three:

- Crosshair V Formula 990FX

- Sabertooth 990FX

- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

The UD3 and the Sabertooth are really close in price where I live, being the Crosshair being about 50 € (around $45) more expensive.

However, since AMD is going to release this year the 1090FX chipset and since there will probably be a Crosshair VI, the crosshair V is going to be cheaper before it is released... right? :P

I am thinking in the Sabertooth since it is only about 25 € (it is around $20 or $23 I think) more expensive than the UD3 and 5 year guarantee... or should I wait for the Crosshair V to lower the price?

Another thing is... is it worth to give a bit more for the crosshair V?

Edited by XtremeDS

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rog mobo for sure. It sounds as though you already have a chip to stick in the mobo, so you wont be getting a performance upgrade or anything like that. So the wisest thing to do would be to get the ROG or the Saber tooth mobo and buy it once the price comes down. Or you could just go with the 1090fx chipset and get a PD chips and call it done ;)

Rog mobo for sure. It sounds as though you already have a chip to stick in the mobo, so you wont be getting a performance upgrade or anything like that. So the wisest thing to do would be to get the ROG or the Saber tooth mobo and buy it once the price comes down. Or you could just go with the 1090fx chipset and get a PD chips and call it done ;)

Yes, I already have the chip for it, and I am not expecting a great performance gain. The only possible gain is changeing from DDR2-1066 to a DDR3-1600. :P

About the 1090FX I don't know how much it is worth for me to get. From what I read, the advantages is more Sata III ports support and 2*16 XF (I think its crossfire), and if Asus does the same as they did with the AM2+, the 990FX is going to support the PD with a BIOS Update. I say this because my actual board is AM2+ and it supports the Phenom II X6.

What is the advantages of the Rog to the Sabertooth? I know they bring this time a voltimeter, "reset" and memory buttons, sound card and supports faster Ram (up to 2133, where the sabertooth only does 1866, even if in the QVL say 2000 :lol: ). After saying all that extra, the difference in price starts to show up anyway. :P

Is it the Rog much better for Overclock? Which is why I did chose them in the first place. :P

Edited by XtremeDS

Yes, I already have the chip for it, and I am not expecting a great performance gain. The only possible gain is changeing from DDR2-1066 to a DDR3-1600. :P

If you already have a good board that can decently OC you aren't going to see any real difference between your current setup and a DDR3 setup with similar clocks.

If you already have a good board that can decently OC you aren't going to see any real difference between your current setup and a DDR3 setup with similar clocks.

Thats actually the problem... it isn't that good. Its a M4A78 with a AMD 770 Chipset.

So, it doesn't have many overclocking functions, like the advance calibration, that unlocks the other cores, or the NB (it's basically the memory controller in the AMD) multiplier, that is the major reason that I only can do about 3975 GHz from it, since it limits the overclock to about 20-30 % for my locked Phenom II. It does only support DDR2 1066 and Sata II too.

With the Rog and Sabertooth I should be able to lower the NB multiplier and overclock the processor even more and support Sata III and DDR3. Well, if I had a black edition processor, I would overcome the NB problem. :lol:

Edited by XtremeDS

I have been reading a few reviews about the ROG and two things I though they did have... they don't. :P

At first, the voltimeter, isn't the voltimeter... its the multimeter probes, so we can see how are the voltages, etc...

Another thing, its about the sound. I though that it would bring a slot sound card, like the crosshair III did bring, but it doesn't. It still brings the supreme, with good features, but its onboard. :P

From what I could conclude too, is that the Sabertooth is almost as good as the ROG in terms of overclocking. The vantage from the ROG is the extra features, like better sound system, the buttons that simplifies some things, the probes... and is much cooler than the Sabertooth. :lol:

It really is a TUF decision. :teehee:

There are differences between the two boards in terms of connectivity that you should look at as well. If I recall correctly the ROG board has an extra PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot, the Sabertooth has more SATA III ports, you should be raking stuff like that into account. Also, the Sabertooth is cheaper with a 5-year warranty.

Sabertooth has:

3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8) *1

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x1

1 x PCI

*1: When running dual graphics cards, be sure to insert the card in the first and third PCIex16 slot to get the best performance.

One weird thing, is that by Asus, the Sabertooth supports Quad-SLI or Crossfire, and the Crosshair only support 3-way SLI and Crossfire. :P

In terms of Sata ports, both have more than enough for me, and the 5 year warrant from the Sabertooth is what is keeping me from buying the Crosshair V, even if it has 3 year warranty. I don't doubt the quality of the crosshair, my father had a Crosshair III and a cousin of me has a Crosshair II and they're great boards with lots of features. However, how much I am going to use that extra features is another thing.

The asrock I don't have anyone close that sell it, not even the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7. That is why I chose between these three. :P

Edited by XtremeDS