Headphones as playback device in Windows7

sack_patrol

For some reason, the speaker configuration my some of my Valve games, is kinda messed up. Like in CSS and HL2DM...when I try to set the speaker configuration to headphones, press Apply and the OK it doesn't actually change the setting since when I go back in the options it goes back to 7.1 Speakers.

I don't think this should have anything to do with the Windows Sound and how it's configured, but for some reason it is. Meaning that when I go in the sound options> Configure Speakers, and then change to either Stereo, Quadraphonic, 5.1 or 7.1 Surround, the option in CSS and HL2DM also changes to 2 speakers, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1 Speakers respectively. So what is equal to the Headphones option?

I think I need to either stop my games from communicating with the Windows sound so that they don't know what I've set as playback device, or find a way to change my playback device from Speakers, to Headphones which I don't know how to do. I couldn't find any option for that, nor any guides online that show how to do it.

My sound card Razer Barracuda AC-1 with driver 2.23 (2.24 is supposed to be for Windows 7 but it crashes and just doesn't work, so I use the Vista driver which has always worked.)

I don't think I had this problem before...I remember that I had my headphones setting in the options before...and I was with windows 7...I don't know what changed...or if it's the game's problem.

If anyone has HL2DM or CSS and Windows 7, could you please check if you can freely change your Speaker configuration in the Audio tab in the Options. Thx.

I should note that I can freely change this option in Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2...so it's only CSS and HL2DM that I can't change...though as I said, I used to be.

I also get this in the console right after I try to apply the changes:

Speaker configuration has been changed to headphones

3d surround sound initialization successful

couldn't exec userconfig.cfg

Host_WriteConfiguration: Wrote cfg/config.cfg

I know it is, but that's not the point. + there's a difference which is vital for me. It's important that I figure this out.

EDIT: I noticed that some people have a "Headphones" thingy in their Playback devices Tab. I don't. Maybe that has something to do with it... But how do I add Headphones there then? All I have is "Digital Audio (HDMI), Speakers, Digital Outup"

2010-05-15_195159.jpg

Edited by ballist1x

So what is equal to the Headphones option?

2 is closest to headphones.

I know it is, but that's not the point.

Seems like that was the point you were getting at. :unsure:

Anyway, the screenshot you posted is the area where you choose which device will output your sound. This is useful for people that have more than one sound port on their computer (for example, motherboard audio jack, front panel audio jack, and sound card audio jack). This is necessary because if you have headphones plugged into the sound card, you do not want data that is carrying your sound to go the the motherboard port or the front panel port, as there is nothing there to receive it.

In Valve games, the option in the sound settings is to optimize what kind of sound the game will create (2 channel, 2.1 channel, etc.) that matches your sound system, as you don't want 2 channel audio when you have a nice 7.1 surround system.

Anyway, in your options it appears that you have a sound card installed in your computer. It should have it's own software, and if you want to configure your sound options, you will have to go in there.

The reason why on some computers it shows the headphone option is because the headphones let the computer know that headphones, and not speakers or any other piece of sound equipment, are plugged into the motherboard audio plug. However, your sound card probably ignores this and just lets you know it's own name, and not the name of the device that is plugged into it. This is good, because if you have more than one sound system hooked up to your computer by different means, you wouldn't know which one is which if the sound card took on the generic "Speakers" or "Headphones" label.

TL;DR

Valve games configure what your sounds are like, the screenshot you posted lets you choose which piece of hardware plays your sound.

Seems like that was the point you were getting at. :unsure: Anyway, the screenshot you posted is the area where you choose which device will output your sound. This is useful for people that have more than one sound port on their computer (for example, motherboard audio jack, front panel audio jack, and sound card audio jack). This is necessary because if you have headphones plugged into the sound card, you do not want data that is carrying your sound to go the the motherboard port or the front panel port, as there is nothing there to receive it.In Valve games, the option in the sound settings is to optimize what kind of sound the game will create (2 channel, 2.1 channel, etc.) that matches your sound system, as you don't want 2 channel audio when you have a nice 7.1 surround system.Anyway, in your options it appears that you have a sound card installed in your computer. It should have it's own software, and if you want to configure your sound options, you will have to go in there.The reason why on some computers it shows the headphone option is because the headphones let the computer know that headphones, and not speakers or any other piece of sound equipment, are plugged into the motherboard audio plug. However, your sound card probably ignores this and just lets you know it's own name, and not the name of the device that is plugged into it. This is good, because if you have more than one sound system hooked up to your computer by different means, you wouldn't know which one is which if the sound card took on the generic "Speakers" or "Headphones" label.TL;DRValve games configure what your sounds are like, the screenshot you posted lets you choose which piece of hardware plays your sound.

:stupid: In other words, the game options choose what kind of sound is played, and the Windows options choose where that sound is outputted to.

Well...that's fine and all...but I still dunno how to get it to stay on the "headphones" settings ingame as it makes a difference to me weather it's 2 speakrs, 7.1 or Headphones and it's clearly hear-able in game. I remember I was able to change this before...but now I can't for some reason.

Also, since the game option matches the windows option, there should be one, equivalent to "Headphones" in the game, no? I think that would be the best choice seeing how I have headphones and not 7.1 although the sound card is supposed to be able to emulate 7.1...I still think "headphones" sounds better for me.

Edited by ballist1x

Well...that's fine and all...but I still dunno how to get it to stay on the "headphones" settings ingame as it makes a difference to me weather it's 2 speakrs, 7.1 or Headphones and it's clearly hear-able in game. I remember I was able to change this before...but now I can't for some reason.

Also, since the game option matches the windows option, there should be one, equivalent to "Headphones" in the game, no? I think that would be the best choice seeing how I have headphones and not 7.1 although the sound card is supposed to be able to emulate 7.1...I still think "headphones" sounds better for me.

To your second question, no. The devices menu can only choose between your soundcard, digital output on your soundcard, and HDMI output. The headphone option would have to be within the soundcard driver, which it does automatically when you plug in headphones.

What are your headphones?

2.0, 2.1, 5.1, or 7.1?

I think he said that his headphones are 7.1, but probably don't produce it very well, since he said that the headphone option sounded better.

Edited by TheHippi

My my headphones are headphones. They play anything of course but it doesn't sound as good as the dedicated option.

I have a feeling this is all wrong though. I used to be able to change the option in game despite my settings in windows...so something's changed. I shouldn't be looking for how to make my windows option becomes headphones, but rather how to independently change the game option. L4D's option seems to work just fine and I can use whichever one I want without it changing.

EDIT: + in my sound card interface, I've always had it set to headphones since i've bought the thing so no change there.

2010-05-16_005527.jpg

Edited by ballist1x

The in-game options should only change the kind of sound that is outputted.

For example, if you choose 7.1, then the game will send an 8 channel audio signal to your soundcard, which then outputs it. If you choose 2.0, then the game will only send a 2 channel signal to your soundcard. I'm going to hazard a guess that headphone option is just 2 channel with different audio levels.

Edited by TheHippi

The in-game options should only change the kind of sound that is outputted.

For example, if you choose 7.1, then the game will send an 8 channel audio signal to your soundcard, which then outputs it. If you choose 2.0, then the game will only send a 2 channel signal to your soundcard. I'm going to hazard a guess that headphone option is just 2 channel with different audio levels.

no idea man...I just know that as it is now, it sounds worse than it did before. It seems rather messy since the windows option is 7.1, and the sound card option is headphones...

though the 2 channel and the headphones settings sound clearly different.

Edited by ballist1x

no idea man...I just know that as it is now, it sounds worse than it did before. It seems rather messy since the windows option is 7.1, and the sound card option is headphones...

though the 2 channel and the headphones settings sound clearly different.

The WIndows option is the sound card, not 7.1.

But as for fixing your problem, the only thing I can think of would be re-installing the games or the soundcard driver.

Edited by TheHippi