Win 7 Does Not Recognize Firewire Card

wingspar

I just installed a Rosewill 1397a RC-501 firewire card.  The computer does not recognize the card and it is not listed in Device Manager.  Reviews of the card have conflicting reports about working with Win 7, but most Win 7 computers recognize the card with no problems.  I must have been one of the last to get the card, cause it is now discontinued.  It was only $13, so no big loss.

The motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, and the processor is the Intel i7 3770.  It is installed in the PCI_1 slot.  The top light blue slot.  Why isn

A couple of days after I installed the Firewire card, I went to turn on my Win 7 computer, all I got was spinning fans.  Nothing else.  The red VGA-LED light on the motherboard was lit.  All the motherboard manual did was tell me what the light was called.  Nothing about how to fix it.  Well, I installed the Rosewill 1394a PC-501 card the other day, and could never get the computer to recognize it, so I removed it as step one to resolve the red light.  Bingo.  That worked.  Got my Win 7 computer back.  The Rosewill 1394a PC-501 card is 100% junk.  Pure junk.  It is my first and last Rosewill product.

Can anyone recommend a Firewire card that will actually work with Win 7?

Guess I was negligent in my lack of thought that I put into that purchase.  If I look at the Vantec UGT-FW200 on Newegg, I see Rosewill has a card just like it with a ton of 5 egg reviews.  However, the Rosewill is made in China, and the Vantec is made in the USA and I

Sounds like a DOA card - that VIA chipset is supported on virtually every Windows OS since 98se.

Well, all info on the Rosewill site and Newegg does not mention any OS beyond Vista.  However, there were several conflicting reviews on Newegg.  Some say Win 7 would not recognize it, and some said Win 7 recognized it and worked perfectly.  I should have taken more time to research.  DOA or old technology, I

Hey Wing.  I find it hard to fathom that you would get two defective cards in a row.  That is almost impossible.

Have you monkeyed around with any BIOS settings in the past?

Are you running the latest BIOS released for your motherboard?

If I were you I would leave the firewire card installed and flash to the latest BIOS release (or if you're running the latest - leave the firewire card in and reflash the current version).  I know that your board doesn't have native 1394 ports, but double check the BIOS options and if you find the option to enable or disable native 1394 make sure to set it to disabled.

I checked with Microsoft Social Technet and found a similar issue with the following solution that has worked for some;

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the