Headset about 60

wachuwey

Hello.

I want a new headset mainly for gaming, and some music or movies. Mic is just for TeamSpeak.

Now I have a Plantronics Gamecom 377, and they are very comfortable, but a plastic piece is starting to break.

My budget is 60

One of my friends uses the Gamecom 380 and really enjoys it. Our review on the CM Storm Ceres 400 was favorable, while the Corsair Vengeance 1300 was good just it lacked the ability to be as loud as others. Was pretty comfortable though. The ASUS Vulcan didn't do as well, since it's lacking in bass and the active noise canceling wiped out any bass that could be there. The ASUS Orion, on the other hand, performed very well and didn't have any issues in games, music, or movies.

For headsets, from the look of things I think you'd be set with the ASUS Orion. Other people seem to dig the Tt Shock, and I haven't heard many things on the Razer Kraken yet. Just based on what we've done at OCC, I think the ASUS Orion would be it for you.

Now, if you're wanting to just make use of the Zalman mic, you can buy a pair of headphones and just attach the mic to the cord. Depending on price, you could pick up something like the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, AKG K 240, or Audio Technica ATH-M30. There's a lot more, just those are some examples.

You're welcome, to both of you. wachuwey, hope those recommendations help, and if you want any more for headphones to use with that Zalman mic, just ask. Myself and several others would be more than happy to find something that should work for you in your price range.

I read your review of the orion and everything looks good. Al this moment, they are my first option.

Also checked out the sennheiser and the akg, but they are over my budget (80$ usd).

I'm on the mobile phone so i can't make a deep research, but the audio technica look so good.

Any other options in my price range?

I am just going to throw out some other options here. 

Grado SR60s http://www.amazon.es/processo-giudizio-impugnazioni-lesecuzione-procedimenti/dp/8814117446/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379794391&sr=8-2&keywords=grado

These sound fairly decent for the price, but they are not the most comfortable things in the world. However, if you like to DIY stuff, there is a mod on head-fi for comfy grados. A simple 10 euro budget should be enough to make the grados a bit easier on the ears. Heck, even a new pair of soft pads makes them comfortable enough. The nice thing about these is that the bass is actually pretty good for an open headphone in this price point. If you can find it in your price range, the SR80i would be slightly better. 

For closed headphones, you can pick up the CAL headphone. http://www.amazon.es/Creative-Aurvana-Live-Auriculares-cerrados/dp/B000W6Y0JY

It is essentially a rebranded denon headphone. It sounds quite good for a closed headphone in it's price range. Not too muddy, not too bright. It is certainly not neutral, but as far as sound quality goes, it will kick the turd out of the asus headphones. They are also fairly comfy. You might want to change the pads for something that he a bit more foam, but that might come down to personal preference. 

I would not choose audio technica unless you can manage to find a AD700, M50, or A700x in your price range. Everything else sounds pretty harsh. 

Honestly, I would encourage you to save up and use your current headphones until they are dead. With any lucky you can get something like the DT990s which are a much better purchase. Even if you can find the Fostex T50-RP for ~100 USD, you would be much happier than purchasing a pair of gaming headsets. 

If you can catch the Creative Aurvana Live! headphones on sale for less than $80 then that is the go to route as far as I'm concerned.  Add a clip on or desktop mic and you're all set.

One other set of cans in a competing price range is the AKG K240 Studio that can be had for right at $80 bucks too.  The only catch with the AKGs is that you WILL have to connect via a discrete sound card (preferably one with a mic AMP) or through another external amplifier as their impedance is rather high compared to the Creative Aurvana Live! cans.

AKG impedance - 600 Ohms 

Creative impedance - 32 Ohms

I make my choice.

The winner is the Gamecom 380.

After testing the Zalman mic, found that something must be wrong. It doesn't work good.

Between 380 and Orion, the price was the main cause to choose one over the other.

380 is half the price, and I don't think the orion will be twice good.

I'm quite happy with my current 677 (except the broken plastic). 

Let's see if the new ones are at least this good.

Thank you so much for the advices.

Next week will tell you my first impression.