Computer parts for a custom build....

Computation

Of course - but which of those companies would you say is second rate? All have great products and pretty good customer service in the event of an issue...

Out of these options:

• Intel
  • EVGA
  • Gigabyte
  • Corsair
  • Seagate
  • BenQ

I pick Seagate. Zing! :P

J/k. Even with their high rate of faulty hard drives, I've never had any issues dealing with Seagate.

Of course - but which of those companies would you say is second rate? All have great products and pretty good customer service in the event of an issue...

No not second rate, just not my first or second choice is all I should have said.

Only comment i can make about IVI's list is the ASSrock mobo and he has 8gb of RAM instead of the 16gb the op wants.

I am no fan about ASSrock, hence the nickname i gave it (i even kept it modest by not changing the r for a c :lol:), I can vouch for ASUS motherboards, never had any problems with them and MSI has great warranty, so you can go with that as well.

In all of my life I've used two ASRock boards and they were both good..... until they weren't.  The first board failed within the warranty period and the RMA process with ASRock was fairly painless.  The second board failed just a few months outside the warranty period so it had to go to the scrap heap.  Both times it appeared to be power delivery related problems as they were both dead - dead.  Nothing, completely lifeless. 

I like IVI's list save the motherboard and hard drive recommendation.  And then there is point about how much memory the OP wants versus what was quoted.

As for the brand of memory, I've used about every brand available except for Samsung, AMD and AData.  I've had good luck with Corsair, G.Skill, Patriot, Mushkin, Team etc.

G.Skill usually gets my money because they offer a lifetime warranty and they are usually the price / performance leaders.  I refuse to pay a price premium just for a name (ie. Corsair).

My last observation is that I don't see a SSD in the parts list.  IMHO any modern enthusiast build should include a SSD for at least the OS and a few of my favorite games  :)

Out of these options:

• Intel
  • EVGA
  • Gigabyte
  • Corsair
  • Seagate
  • BenQ

I pick Seagate. Zing! :P

J/k. Even with their high rate of faulty hard drives, I've never had any issues dealing with Seagate.

Yeah, I don't get the OCZ and Seagate hate. Well OCZ is outta business now but none of their RAM nor SSDs have ever died on me. Can't say the same for everyone's favorite memory manufacturer Corsair :rolleyes:

The ONE Seagate drive that died on me was entirely my fault (as I could have taken precautions to fix the problem myself before RMAing it)

No not second rate, just not my first or second choice is all I should have said.

Lol yeah that's a better way to word it, otherwise, them's be fightin' words!

Only comment i can make about IVI's list is the ASSrock mobo and he has 8gb of RAM instead of the 16gb the op wants.

I am no fan about ASSrock, hence the nickname i gave it (i even kept it modest by not changing the r for a c :lol:), I can vouch for ASUS motherboards, never had any problems with them and MSI has great warranty, so you can go with that as well.

Lol 8GB is fine! Hell I'm running 4GB right now on my desktop and it's not holding me back with anything!

As for AsRock, I was very happy with one such board I built for a buddy of mine (and haven't heard from about any issues so :P ) also...

In all of my life I've used two ASRock boards and they were both good..... until they weren't.  The first board failed within the warranty period and the RMA process with ASRock was fairly painless.  The second board failed just a few months outside the warranty period so it had to go to the scrap heap.  Both times it appeared to be power delivery related problems as they were both dead - dead.  Nothing, completely lifeless. 

I like IVI's list save the motherboard and hard drive recommendation.  And then there is point about how much memory the OP wants versus what was quoted.

As for the brand of memory, I've used about every brand available except for Samsung, AMD and AData.  I've had good luck with Corsair, G.Skill, Patriot, Mushkin, Team etc.

G.Skill usually gets my money because they offer a lifetime warranty and they are usually the price / performance leaders.  I refuse to pay a price premium just for a name (ie. Corsair).

My last observation is that I don't see a SSD in the parts list.  IMHO any modern enthusiast build should include a SSD for at least the OS and a few of my favorite games  :)

...I hope I don't have your bug! I bought an AsRock AM1 board to replace my old Fusion APU as my HTPC so I hope it hangs with me for quite a while...

But what's your beef with the Hitachi? While I don't own them, they have (statistically) the lowest failure rate and are currently the cheapest 1TB.

I've never used ADATA desktop memory but I had an old flashdrive from them and it was a great drive to me until a stupid Mac killed it...but IMHO memory is memory is memory when it comes to desktop memory, as long as it works at its rated speeds than that's all that matters.

As for lifetime warranty, ADATA has that for their memory too! And I don't recall them being bad to deal with when I had to RMA my flash drive either! Good on you not paying the premium on Corsairs, but why not check out the better value right now! I remember when Gskill were the kings of value but today it looks like these ADATA sticks have that :)

Good point, certainly if the OP wishes I could throw one into my build. I'm sure I saved him enough money to afford a nice 240GB-256GB!