BF3 starts to lag after playing for 30 mins or so.

RichAC

Hello all,

I've been having issues in BF3,  especially noticeable on 64 man long ticket servers.   the game will be running great at first.  but then gradually gets worse.   towards the end of the match i start getting cpu/gpu spikes.   Its noticeably happens every time someone says something in the chat box.   i get a coinciding  spike.   its really strange.  and its starting to really drive me crazy.

I don't know what to do  besides reformatting windows again.   heres what i have done so far:

1.  bought a new powersupply   a corsair cx600.   Even got help from these forums on how to install it.  tks very much.  it installed nicely.

2.   disabled amd cool n quiet,  and secure virutal machine mode in bios.

3. updated video drivers....rolled back video drivers.

4.  tried the registry tweak fix for win 7 64  lag from the steam forums.   to change the network throttling entry to ffffffff.

5.  disabled upnp and ssdp discovery services.  also disabled upnp in my router.     this helped me with random crashes and disconnects..   but i still get that weird cpu/gpu spike lag towards the end of matches for every time something is said in chat.    i'm not sure if its a connectivity issue or not.

6.  updated all my drivers.   I even just updated the firmware on my hdd...lol

7.   set the system settings to performance mode and  disabled desktop window manager.  since origin seemed to increase its size ridiculously in memory.  and cause performance issues.

8.  increased fan speed on gpu while playing.   i heard there is a vram problem on my model card.     my temps are:  gpu = 65c    cpu=50c   NB=55 c   all on full load.   i even felt my memory chips.  and the sb heatsinks.  nothing feels hot on the mobo.

9.  set affinity of origin.exe  to cpu 1.

10.  lowered graphics quality.

i'm at a loss now.  Don't know what else to try.  I'm ready to reformat windows...but i have a feeling it won't make a diff.   has anybody heard of this issue with the chat lag on 64 man long ticket servers?  I don't see many people with this problem.   or maybe they don't realize its causing their lag.

I appreciate any other advice or options,  ty in advance.

Rich.

EDIT: here are my specs.

Dell studio xps 7100 ( i know, i know but it ha great reviews on gaming sites)

amd phenom 2.8ghz

hd 5870 1gb

6gb ddr3 1066

win 7 64

Edited by RichAC

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya thats what someone else said to me to.  that it might be an ea server problem.  but then why doesn't everyone have this issue?

do u think its a connectivity issue?   disabling upnp does seem to have stop the crashing.   i'm not sure yet.   maybe its my router? or my isp?   my listed ping in the game is great though.  i even get 15 ping on some servers.

i do notice when i get the chat lag bug.  that while in jet it makes my jet shake which feels like a connection lag but i dunno.  it def causes a cpu/gpu spike.

i do notice that my processeses in task manager....are smaller at startup and gradually use more and more ram.  especially explorer.exe   even origin gradually gets bigger the longer its running.   do u think i should do a memory test?  if so whats the best way to do that?

Edited by RichAC

I don't think you need to do a memory test, if anything it would be an OS issue that meant things weren't unloading from the RAM, but if that happened your system would slow down much quicker, but for future reference, Memtest86+ is possibly the best way to test memory (although it isn't perfect, as I found out)

on the smaller maps i don't seem to experience the issue. Then again, I haven't played them much so i'll see if i can find a long ticket server with less people.

yes my router is capable of qos, i don't have much experience with that. Is there a setting i could try? I was getting connection issues and sometimes crashing...which i thought was due to heat....until i disabled ssdp discovery service and upnp in the router and windows, per the instructions of an ea helper agent. w/e that signifies....

I do wonder that after my pc is on for about a day or two. my ram usage of my running processes gradually becomes double in size in the task manager. is this normal? especially explorer.exe. for example it was around 35mb on bootup....after playing the game. then it jumped to 80mb and stayed there even after closing the game.  after a day or two its common for it to be at 150mb.

all the continuous running processes gradually increase in memory after the pc is on for a while, even non windows ones. my pc never crashes and i never get any error messages. but sometimes the memory usage, with no programs or windows open, after being on for a day or two is 35-40% It normally never goes past that. I'm not sure i ever had my pc on continuously for more then 3 days.   on bootup i'm about 15-20% and after coming out of sleep the memory usage is even lower then when on bootup lol.

maybe this is all normal? maybe Waco is right and i'm just obsessing over nothing lol.

Edited by RichAC

I had the same issue: 32 player maps ran fine, 64 player maps slowed to unplayable after about 30 min. 

My solution: Upgraded from 4GB to 8GB RAM. Game now runs full specs on full 64 player gigantic maps w/o problem.

I'm not saying these are the "right" things to do, I'm just saying that these are some of the things that I would do if presented with a similar problem...................

Ensure that you're running the latest firmware for your router - if not update

Power down modem and router.  Reset router to factory defaults then power both back up

Ensure my motherboard is running the latest BIOS release - if not update to latest stable official release

Fresh format and re-install Windows using all the latest hardware drivers (chipset, lan, audio, video etc.)

Install 8Gb memory 

Re-install game and go to video settings - put everything on "medium" settings, possibly disable HBAO

Give her a test run.

I had the same issue: 32 player maps ran fine, 64 player maps slowed to unplayable after about 30 min. 

My solution: Upgraded from 4GB to 8GB RAM. Game now runs full specs on full 64 player gigantic maps w/o problem.

i have 6b though and use less then 4 when playing the game?

I'm not saying these are the "right" things to do, I'm just saying that these are some of the things that I would do if presented with a similar problem...................

Ensure that you're running the latest firmware for your router - if not update

Power down modem and router.  Reset router to factory defaults then power both back up

Ensure my motherboard is running the latest BIOS release - if not update to latest stable official release

Fresh format and re-install Windows using all the latest hardware drivers (chipset, lan, audio, video etc.)

Install 8Gb memory 

Re-install game and go to video settings - put everything on "medium" settings, possibly disable HBAO

Give her a test run.

I was thinking of seeing if there was an update to the firmware on my router.  I shall give this a try.

I did update my bios from the dell site, which supposedly fixed some windows issues.

there wasn't any updates for the chipset.

I updated to the latest realtek hd sound drivers.

I updated my samsung hdd firmware.

I also did recenlty do a reformat before all of this.

I have 6gb ram and when running the game i'm using less then 4.   do you think this could still be ram issue?    again makes me wonder if I should check my ram for errors?  but like a couple others i feel this is highly unlikely.