Recommended Power Supplies List

Update:

Added Seasonic S12II series

Added Corsair VX Series

Removed Coolmax Green Power CUG Series - Recent reviews suggest not up to standard.

Note: Older original Seasonic S12 series may be removed from the list once it is phased out and becomes unavailable. It will remain for the moment though.

Edited by jammin

• 7 months later...

Alright, I am starting the process of getting this list bang up to date again so it will be a decent reference for anyone asking about PSUs.

Your help is welcomed in the process, as always.

I do ask that if you submit a suggestion to have a PSU added or removed that you back it up with a good reason, and with reliable test data where possible.

Only a couple of minor changes implemented so far, which are:

Added OCZ EliteXStream 1000W - based on [H] Enthusiast Review Data

Removed Coolmax CTG Series and XClio PSUs - not enough reliable test data available.

Added BFGTech ES-800 - based on [H] Review Data

Removed Seasonic S12 - discontinued

I should catch a lot of the obvious updates (new PSUs from Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic), but pointers to anything less obvious would be appreciated. :)

Edited by jammin

I don't keep track on what PSU OEMs the big pre-built guys use to be honest with you.

I'm sure it would be pretty easy to work out with a few pictures and specs or some hands on examination.

The PSU market has become considerably more crowded in recent months, which means it will be more challenging to keep this list focused (the aim is for it to be as user friendly as possible).

Hrmm Would be nice if there was a site to keep track of what companies made what power supplies.

This is the only thing I have found that comes close.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=...&ndar_id=24

I don't think it is complete though. I mean, most of the listings next to the company say some this brand some that brand, but that doesn't really help us when we reccomend specific models of power supplies. :angry2:

Edited by Ste

Most recent decent PSUs are limited to a handful of OEMs, so that makes things a bit easier.

UL numbers can also be helpful, but often the brand involved will get their own number so it hides who originally built it.

I could probably give you all the OEMs for PSUs on the list off the top of my head (but don't ask me to do it :lol: ).

If you notice, there is a link to Jonny Guru's OEM database in the introduction to the list ;)

(All of those links are really worth checking out if you haven't already btw).

I should get a decent update done by the end of tomorrow.

I'd still take an HX over a TX personally, but I have my own reasons for that.

Anyway...

Added Antec TruePower Quattro 850W - Review data Here, Here and Here.

[H] express some concern about ripple noise, specifically on the 3.3v rail. I'm willing to give Antec the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially considering there are similar PSUs already on the list.

I'm the opposite way, :P I hold single 12V railed Power supplies slightly higher than multi railed ones, even though one couldn't go wrong with either an HX or a TX.

Edited by Ste

I'm the opposite way, :P I hold single 12V railed Power supplies slightly higher than multi railed ones, even though one couldn't go wrong with either an HX or a TX.

That's why I like PPC&C.