Windows 8 no wifi

Onion

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't find the Microsoft WiFi Miniport adapter don't worry about it, it won't be causing any issues.

I assumed you knew about router configuration, but if you don't then go to 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1 on some routers) then find DHCP and ensure it is enabled. Then check if DNS is set to automatically obtain or your ISP's default DNS - let me know how it goes thumbsup3.gif

If you can't find the Microsoft WiFi Miniport adapter don't worry about it, it won't be causing any issues.

I assumed you knew about router configuration, but if you don't then go to 192.168.1.1 (or 192.168.0.1 on some routers) then find DHCP and ensure it is enabled. Then check if DNS is set to automatically obtain or your ISP's default DNS - let me know how it goes thumbsup3.gif

Its school wifi he won't be allowed to play with the router config settings.

School wifi, it's locked down tight. Couldn't get in even if I wanted to. :( Could I roll back to windows 7 and not lose my files?

I don't know if it will let you in Windows 8 but if you install it from within Windows on to of the other Windows OS, it moves your previous Windows install to Windows.old :thumbsup:

I don't have anything I don't mind losing, but I'd rather not have to reinstall everything etc. I don't have a clone of my old drive.

Now where the hell did I put my windows 7 disc...

Edited by l33t p1mp

You may be able to 'Upgrade' from Windows 8 down to Windows 7...you might have to Google around a bit though to make the install think you're running Vista or something, perhaps run the setup.exe in compatibility for Windows Vista, but I don't know...

have you tried to hardwire into the network yet to see if that works?

I tried it, Windows doesn't recognize me plugging anything in. I tried to disable the wifi and do it, no dice.