850 Watt Coolermaster Psu In The Test Bed

Nice review but I don't think the system used to test the PSU is even close to loading it down (especially considering that it ran fine on the 325 watt PSU in the comparison).

I has this in my new build (got it cheap as CompUSA was going out of business). See sig for setup. APC powerchute shows I'm pulling ~320 watts at idle.

Without a machine to properly test PSUs I think it is pointless other than advertisement for a company and the reviewer gets a free PSU good or bad....

I disagree - a poor PSU will still yield poor results when it comes to OC'ing and whatnot, so by ripping one apart, at least consumers get some idea of the components used, as well as build quality and whether it can sustain a reasonable load.

But yes - not many review sites have the equipment to test PSUs properly sadly.

I disagree - a poor PSU will still yield poor results when it comes to OC'ing and whatnot, so by ripping one apart, at least consumers get some idea of the components used, as well as build quality and whether it can sustain a reasonable load.

But yes - not many review sites have the equipment to test PSUs properly sadly.

Ok I will agree that you can see if it will at least run a rig for a few hours and whether or not it uses the better brand capacitors. I guess it will eliminate DOA brands...

Ok I will agree that you can see if it will at least run a rig for a few hours and whether or not it uses the better brand capacitors. I guess it will eliminate DOA brands...

That, and those POS units that are plain crap out of the box and have high pitched whines when they OC :lol:

Still, 850w is a lot of juice really. I'd have to think of some rather hefty bits and bobs to stress that in real-life conditions!

Nice review but I don't think the system used to test the PSU is even close to loading it down (especially considering that it ran fine on the 325 watt PSU in the comparison).

The 325W PSU was not really a power supply, if you care to read it, my bad for not linking it in the review, it is just an auxiliary PSU to add an extra 325W to your system. I was just using the readings of the rails to compare to it.

...and whether it can sustain a reasonable load.

That's the main issue I see with PSU reviews. "Reasonable load" to me is about 90% of the maximum rated continuous output. It'd take one hell of a rig to get even close to 800 watts of real power consumption.

I'm a fan of synthetic load tests with bigass resistors.