Seeking upgrade advice

Miek

I've been pondering upgrading my GPU and my RAM, though I believe my CPU should be fine for a while. I've been out of the loop with the computer world for a while now, and I feel somewhat lost when looking at all the new hardware. What GPU and how much RAM would be reasonable? I'm currently playing a lot of Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2, and I do notice losses in performance for both games when I try to play on higher detail settings.

Looks like this is his specs. He wants us to work for it Capy!

Computer Specs:

•  
  • Core i5 760
  • 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
  • MSI P55-GD80
  • Corsair 750HX
  • Cooler Master Storm Sniper
  • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
  • LITE-ON 24x DVD multi recorder
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

But I didn't see the answer to the next question in his profile, which is ...how much is he willing to spend on a video card? :dunno:

Oh snap! I forgot that the specs weren't in my signature any more. My apologies.

I'd go as high as $300 CAD for a video card, and would use Newegg.ca.

Edited by Miek

You could grab a 7950 then and it would make a great GPU.

However I would suggest getting a 7850 instead and an SSD for a new boot drive. Not sure what cooler you have but if its stock you may squeeze a 212+ in too and really give your whole system an upgrade.

Just my two cents

You could grab a 7950 then and it would make a great GPU.

However I would suggest getting a 7850 instead and an SSD for a new boot drive. Not sure what cooler you have but if its stock you may squeeze a 212+ in too and really give your whole system an upgrade.

Just my two cents

:withstupid:

I would get a 7870 GHz edition over a 7950 Core edition.

A 7850 + SSD would be a great combo if you can fit it in the budget. Though if you can't don't beat yourself up, you can always add the SSD later.

7870? At least here in Australia I have never seen the point in them. They sit only a few fps above the 7850 but cost nearly a $100 more.

You Aussie's have fine women to compensate for your crappy video card prices!

7870 Ghz Edition - $290 with $15 rebate (so $275)

7850 (Comparable) - $230

Right now AMD is playing games with their SKUs. It is better to go with a GHz edition than a Core edition unless you are strapped for funds. I'm not a fan of these games AMD is playing right now, but the fact is they own market below $300 and maybe even a bit above.

Edited by Fogel

Ahhh the women and the beaches... summer is coming :)

Hmmm that does not sound cool. However you are saying that the $290 7870ghz is better than the $290 7950core? Benches somewhere? I am interested to know more.

and yeah AMD kinda has the sub $300 market by the balls haha

Ahhh the women and the beaches... summer is coming :)

Hmmm that does not sound cool. However you are saying that the $290 7870ghz is better than the $290 7950core? Benches somewhere? I am interested to know more.

and yeah AMD kinda has the sub $300 market by the balls haha

I am saying AMD is playing games with their SKUs. The Core editions aren't worth the money so if you were to buy a 7950 it is better to buy a non-"core edition" than a core edition. I'm not going to say a 7870 Ghz model is faster than a 7950 (Core Edition or not), I'm just saying AMD is muddying up the waters with their SKUs. I wouldn't buy a core edition and the only 7950 the OP has a chance at affording is a "core edition".

Its weekend time so I'm gonna leave ya to do the research on this, sorry! I'm bored of this place and I typically don't surf the net from home.