Sapphire Toxic R9 280X Crossfire Temps

BSG75

Hiya, Query on GPU temps.

I can't seem to locate any accurate information anywhere as to the max temp tolerance of this Tahiti chip, I have two R9 280X Toxic Editions in crossfire with a 4770k/H100i, in a Corsair 540 Airflow case & Silverstone 1200W Gold PSU , during heavy load ie 1440P Ultra Battlefield 4 gaming, the primary card will reach 79-83 degrees. It drops to 73 sometimes but for the most part it sits around 79 degrees.

The secondary card only sits at around 62 which is fine but I wanted to know if the main card is getting too hot, or is an acceptable temperature in this setup. Nothing else overheats, just curious as the GPU temp, the fan ramps up to around 70 odd percent to keep it there, the Toxic edition has temperature leds on it, 6 of them, and at the hottest I have seen it, 4 of them are lit up.

Reason I bring it up as most reviews out there see the card peak at 66-70 max, obviously its getting warmed as I have another card right under it but just want to know if I should continue with this or get a more hardcore case? 80 Degrees makes me nervous, however the 290X cruises at 95 from what I hear and sounds like a jet engine.

Any suggestions\input would be great

Which motherboard do you have? 

It is normal for the primary card to be 15C hotter when run in a multi GPU configuration. You also have to take into account that you have two cards dumping the thermal load into the chassis and the top card is going to heat up much faster since heat rises. I have two GTX 580's in SLI in my primary rig and the top card is every bit of 15C higher without me actively managing the fan profiles.  Even then  I have a 10C difference between the two under load.  

It is normal for the primary card to be 15C hotter when run in a multi GPU configuration. You also have to take into account that you have two cards dumping the thermal load into the chassis and the top card is going to heat up much faster since heat rises. I have two GTX 580's in SLI in my primary rig and the top card is every bit of 15C higher without me actively managing the fan profiles.  Even then  I have a 10C difference between the two under load.  

Heya I have an ASUS Z87-A, which does only have 8x8x when in crossfire mode, however as I understand it the difference between PCIE 3.0 8x & 16X is marginal or nothing at best, the crossfire scaling performance is amazing in Battlefield 4 & Metro Last Light etc, I was monitoring temp with MSI afterburner in Last Light , got to around 82-83 and seemed to hang around there, this is at 1440p maxed out, Battlefield 4 seems to sometimes ramp the card up to 87-88. At that level the card fans are going at 90%, so its pretty roudy, but I use gaming headset most of the time. The second card runs cooler obviously not being taxed as much, the temperatures would be lower but the Toxic editions dump the air straight into my case, I was more concerned that, like some chips have a certain threshold which is safe, ie the normal temp for 290X is 95 degrees, and I think 270X is 80 max, so I was curious about 280X which for all intensive purposes is a 7970Ghz Edition Tahiti chip.

Heya I have an ASUS Z87-A, which does only have 8x8x when in crossfire mode, however as I understand it the difference between PCIE 3.0 8x & 16X is marginal or nothing at best, the crossfire scaling performance is amazing in Battlefield 4 & Metro Last Light etc, I was monitoring temp with MSI afterburner in Last Light , got to around 82-83 and seemed to hang around there, this is at 1440p maxed out, Battlefield 4 seems to sometimes ramp the card up to 87-88. At that level the card fans are going at 90%, so its pretty roudy, but I use gaming headset most of the time. The second card runs cooler obviously not being taxed as much, the temperatures would be lower but the Toxic editions dump the air straight into my case, I was more concerned that, like some chips have a certain threshold which is safe, ie the normal temp for 290X is 95 degrees, and I think 270X is 80 max, so I was curious about 280X which for all intensive purposes is a 7970Ghz Edition Tahiti chip.

In essence it is. 

Some cases have side mounted fans that blow outside air towards the GPUs. If you have that, make sure that the fan is blowing a lot of air, or add a high performanc fan. This helps to control temps.

You want to pull the hot air out not push more air in. Without balanced airflow you build more heat internally.  Ideally everything you push in should have an equal amount being pushed out.