Cause all the sata connections and peripherals are usually on the 5 and most of the motherboard PCI slots dimms and such Io are basically on the 3.3 right?

Edited by Jklein

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so basically when I see a memory kit at 9-9-9-24 how do they wind up with that timing because isn't the last number a product of the first three? How does that work?

So basically its something of a guess based on what works for those sticks at that speed? Because some sticks are more or less efficient at processing instructions for lack of a better word.

So assuming I have that right then lets say I'm over clocking and I set my ram to 10-11-11-32 I run prime 95 the memory stress and it crashes how much would I +/- as a general rule before I try new settings?

So assuming I have that right then lets say I'm over clocking and I set my ram to 10-11-11-32 I run prime 95 the memory stress and it crashes how much would I +/- as a general rule before I try new settings?

Well those timings would be slower (longer) than the 9-9-9-24

Right so I'm saying once I know the settings I have are stable I can start bringing down the last number till I can't get stability then up it to the last stable number and that's my fastest stable setting? In other wards let say I start at 2400 I up it to 2600 then I set my timings there stable at that point I can lower the last number to try to get it a little quicker. Lets say I started at 10-11-11-32 its stable at that point I can lower it down lets say I get to 28 and crash but 29 was stable I would up it back to 29 and 10-11-11-29 and be stable. That's how it would go?

As a rule I don't mess overclocking memory and/or memory timings. Memtest86 is a good test to start with but unstable memory and/or unstable memory controller settings will cause you nothing but frustration.

Just get some 2133 and see how you like it. If you do decide to OC your memory or mess with the timings, make sure you've backed up your system first. :)