The Great Debate: TN vs IPS

VaporX

there is no debate . ips has better color accuracy and nowadays they are as fast as TN in refresh rate . but beware TN is going away and e-ips is showing up and they aren't any better than TN

generally if you put to next to eachother you won't see a real difference . once you calibrate the mointor you will find the TN panel can't get close.

you wil never find a TN panel to support Wide-RGB and 99% consumer monitors with TN and IPS only support sRGB so that's not my ague ment . IPS just has better ways to display colors than TN even in sRGB mode .

:withstupid: Couldn't have put it better myself. However, I will say that e-IPS is still better than TN, especially in terms of viewing angles and tonal shift. Keep in mind that e-IPS is different from E-IPS, which stands for Enhanced-IPS and is an variation on S-IPS from LG. Same for AS-IPS, but that's pretty much just for an NEC monitor.

I may be a bit of a video quality snob but I'm finding it very hard to switch to TN panels.  Every single TN panel I've tried is just so lame in comparison to a IPS panel.

Not sure how the OP is not seeing the difference.  Though I did use to design webpages for a living so maybe I'm more sensitive to color variances than most people?  The OP can try playing a movie on both panels at the same time.  If you do want a picture, look for one with pure black, bright colors and gradients.  Also one with fine detail as sometimes even if monitors can reproduce color well they sometimes over saturate or smudge.  The other thing I notice about TN panels is many times the colors just plain look washed out.  The like the difference of a T-Shirt the day you bought it versus many washes later.

Edited by Fogel

Fogel you would be suppised how many art students I know who didn't know each monitor looks different or what is color accuracy. I gave a 20-minute presentation for a digital photography class and only the teacher knew what I was talking about. I still get phone calls a year later from peers asking for help.

edit; the point of that is, out of all the people, graphic designer and photographers should know about mointors. But the graphic designers are even worse and they question why things print out with a yellow or red tint. This is because TN panels have a horrible problem of having a red or yellow tint so when they color correct on the mointor the photo is not correctly shown.

I ALMOST bought one of these for like ~$600 on sale the other day:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10234&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj

I want my next monitor to be atleast 2560x1440+, 27"+, IPS (or better), and under $700. It'd be cool to have a USB 3.0 hub on it but not necessary (saw some Dells had that now), also matte coating would be nice but not required.

I may keep my 24" until it croaks though (1920x1200, TN)

Fogel you would be suppised how many art students I know who didn't know each monitor looks different or what is color accuracy. I gave a 20-minute presentation for a digital photography class and only the teacher knew what I was talking about. I still get phone calls a year later from peers asking for help.

edit; the point of that is, out of all the people, graphic designer and photographers should know about mointors. But the graphic designers are even worse and they question why things print out with a yellow or red tint. This is because TN panels have a horrible problem of having a red or yellow tint so when they color correct on the mointor the photo is not correctly shown.

Wow that is a bit surpising.  I mean I can kind of see it since not everyone looks for things like that.  For example none of friends noticed how grainy most Blu-Ray movies are because they are so sharp ...until I showed 1 or 2 movies that were crystal clear.  Now they notice it all the time but before they didn't.

That really has more to do with monitor and application (eg. Photoshop) calibration than the panel itself. This is especially true in school environments where the lab technicians that typically set up the computers usually have no clue about that stuff and just leave default everything. I know at my last job, one of the first things we did when getting a new computer and/or monitor for the design team was set up the appropriate profiles to match printer output.