Marvel SAS Controller

PanskiKow

I have 2 SAS and 6 Sata ports and I haven't used the SAS controller before and was hoping to get some ideas for strorage pool or raid. I now the SAS will have longer bootup but I don't care.

I was thinking of  either,

1: Purchase a 240gb SSD for OS and run 6 x 2 TB HDD's 2 TB will be on the SAS controller in legacy mode and of course DVD-RW.

2: Purchase 2 300gb SAS HDD run OS on them in mirror and 6 x 2 TB on Sata controller with usb Bluy-Ray Burner.

I can run either hardware raid or storage pool. I just need to figure what would be the best for the rig in my sig for storage. I plan on building a new i7 1150 setup but really need storage for coping VHS, Cloning DVD, CD and Viynal in lossless High quality.

Anyone have some better ideas I could use them. Also I'm running Windows 8.1 64 the Sig didn't update.

Edited by PanskiKow

I wouldn't go SAS on a desktop, the cost is just not worth it.

I can get 2 SAS 300gb drive from ebay new either HP or Seagate for under $100 Would it be worth it and how does the sas controller handle jbod with only legacy mode?

Edited by PanskiKow

I can get 2 SAS 300gb drive from ebay new either HP or Seagate for under $100 Would it be worth it and how does the sas controller handle jbod with only legacy mode?

You'd be much better off with a 240 GB SSD IMO.

You'd be much better off with a 240 GB SSD IMO.

OK I guess 1 240gb SSD with 4 2tb hdd in storage pool and dvd-rw for 6 sata ports and leave the sas controller off. I was just tring to find a way to use the sas controller for more on my PC storage.

I'm not sure what you're asking.  You can use the SAS ports with SATA drives without any problems.

The bios setting only has raid and Legacy mode and the speed of Legacy mode, would it cause a problem like with AHCI. Also could I use DVD-RW on the SAS controller in Legacy Mode. I'm sorry but I have been trying to find a better setup for turning this pc in to a storage PC and need room for as many HDD I can.

Edited by PanskiKow

Im surprised it only has those two options. Usually ACHI is an option. But yes Legacy mode would work for the dvd drive and hard drives, but you lose the benfits of AHCI that it offers. Won't affect a dvd drive at all, only hard drive speeds.

Im surprised it only has those two options. Usually ACHI is an option. But yes Legacy mode would work for the dvd drive and hard drives, but you lose the benfits of AHCI that it offers. Won't affect a dvd drive at all, only hard drive speeds.

Cool thanks! It is supprising how much miss info is on SAS. I opt for 3 DVD-RW in 2 SAS, 1 500gb SSD and 5 2tb Hdd for SATA. Thank all you for the information!