Petition for Texas to peacefully withdraw from the US

Onion

25k signatures needed in 30 days to get an official answer to the petition on whitehouse.gov. Its been 3 days (posted on the 9th), and there are already over 56k signatures.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/peacefully-grant-state-texas-withdraw-united-states-america-and-create-its-own-new-government/BmdWCP8B#thank-you=p

Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget

The comptroller last week estimated Texas would only have $72 billion in general revenue available for this fiscal 2012-13 budget, down from $87 billion two years ago.

What's more, Texas would have to spend an additional $12 billion over the next two years just to maintain services at their current levels.

Ugh, Obama! :rolleyes:

I too wish Texas would secede. The rest of the country would be far better without us.

Texas is one of the many red welfare states in the country. It has the highest percentage of minimum wage or under jobs per capita of any state, the median hourly wage is about $1.50/hr under the national average, and under Rick Perry, Texas has created more minimum wage jobs than every state in the nation combined.

On education, Texas has the lowest percentage of people with a high school diploma, ranks 49th in verbal SAT scores, and 46th in math SAT scores.

Texas ranks last in healthcare and has a higher number of uninsured than any other state.

If Texas were a country, it would rank as the 8th largest contributer to CO2 emissions in the world. When it failed to meet the EPA's air quality standards, Perry chose to sue the federal government to challenge it. Rick Perry denies global warming and called the 2010 BP oil spill an "act of God."

So please, let's secede, so that this uneducated, bible-thumping, welfare state can be the home for all those who are dissatisfied with the US.

Edit: Corrected a few things and added this below.

While it is true that we keep a balanced budget, it's not always the best policy. Texas likes to keep billions stashed away for those moments when it's needed. But in 2010-2011 when Texas was facing a $6.6 billion deficit, it took $6.4 billion in federal Recovery Act money and even cut education spending by $4 billion. When it didn't need to do either of those, because Texas had $9.1 billion in emergency savings stashed away.

I too wish Texas would secede. The rest of the country would be far better without us.

Texas is one of the many red welfare states in the country. It has the highest percentage of minimum wage or under jobs per capita of any state, the median hourly wage is about $1.50/hr under the national average, and under Rick Perry, Texas has created more minimum wage jobs than every state in the nation combined.

On education, Texas has the lowest percentage of people with a high school diploma, ranks 49th in verbal SAT scores, and 46th in math SAT scores.

Texas ranks last in healthcare and has a higher number of uninsured than any other state.

If Texas were a country, it would rank as the 8th largest contributer to CO2 emissions in the world. When it failed to meet the EPA's air quality standards, Perry chose to sue the federal government to challenge it. Rick Perry denies global warming and called the 2010 BP oil spill an "act of God."

So please, let's secede, so that this uneducated, bible-thumping, welfare state can be the home for all those who are dissatisfied with the US.

Edit: Corrected a few things and added this below.

While it is true that we keep a balanced budget, it's not always the best policy. Texas likes to keep billions stashed away for those moments when it's needed. But in 2010-2011 when Texas was facing a $6.6 billion deficit, it took $6.4 billion in federal Recovery Act money and even cut education spending by $4 billion. When it didn't need to do either of those, because Texas had $9.1 billion in emergency savings stashed away.

:lol:.

Seriously Texas, Wtf.

As much as I hate to stereotype, Texas has an absurdly large concentration of clueless rednecks who have no idea what is going on in the world, but DO know that they don't like it.

It seems like every few years, not matter who is in charge, Texas threatens to separate. News flash: they need the rest of the country a LOT more then the rest of the country needs them!

If Texas secedes, there goes a big red state with 38 electoral points that would no longer go towards the conservative nominee in Presidential elections. Seems like a win-win for everybody if the liberals petitioned also. :P

Edited by El_Capitan

:lol:.

Seriously Texas, Wtf.

As much as I hate to stereotype, Texas has an absurdly large concentration of clueless rednecks who have no idea what is going on in the world, but DO know that they don't like it.

It seems like every few years, not matter who is in charge, Texas threatens to separate. News flash: they need the rest of the country a LOT more then the rest of the country needs them!

It's not just a stereotype. It seems like a pretty accurate statement to me.

If Texas secedes, there goes a big red state with 38 electoral points that would no longer go towards the conservative nominee in Presidential elections. Seems like a win-win for everybody if the liberals petitioned also. :P

rofl.gif I'd love to see it happen just as soon as I get out of here. But it won't. Rick Perry likes to get worked up about it from time to time, but he stated today that he doesn't support secession. I'd be surprised if Perry won reelection this term after his "oops" moment in the Presidential primary debate.

But with growing urban population in Dallas, Austin, and Houston, plus the growing number of minorities, it's estimated that Texas could be a swing state by 2020.