MoBo question

stormhawk31

I mean, go to socket 2011 for the 4820k. I'm working on parting out a system on Newegg now. When I have it all together, I'll post it for review.

That's not an upgrade at all, the only reason to go 2011 is for a hexa-core processor

I would like to second this, the pros of 2011 are there, but if you aren't for certain planning to use them at the start I would save the boatload of cash with the mainstream socket.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not an expert anymore. Like I said, it's been over 8 years since I left desktops, and over 10 years since I actually built one. That's why I'm here for advice. :)

I went with Newegg because they have a good reputation, and because I want all of my parts delivered in the same shipment, on the same day. I don't want to be sitting around, waiting for this part to come from this company, and that part to come from that company, and wondering whether this other company is legitimate at all. Newegg is well known, and I know others who have dealt with them happily, so I chose them.

Ok. Since the link isn't working, here's a parts and price list. This should help you guys to get a better handle on what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black/Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - 89.99 

2. ASUS P9X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - 247.99

3. PowerColor AXR9 280X 3GBD5-DHE Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - 299.99

4. XION AXP-850K14XE 850W ATX SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80+ Bronze Modular Power Supply - 104.99

5. Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E 3.7GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74820K - 324.99

6. SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - 104.99

7. G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH - 169.99

8. Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - 159.99 (x2)

9. Microsoft Desktop 800 2LF-00001 Black USB RF Wireless Keyboard & Mouse - 24.99

10. Pioneer 15X BD-R SATA Blu-ray Burner BDR-2208, Retail Kit - 84.99

11. Rosewill ROCC-13001 AIOLOS PLUS 120mm Long Life Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Core i7 - 29.99

Grand Total - $1802.88

That total doesn't include shipping, and it doesn't include the approximately $250 I'll have to spend on my operating system. Now, COULD I pay that much? Yes. But the stingy side of me looks at that price and says, "I'd like to shave 1/3 off of it, if not more." I like listening to that side, because it means more money in my pocket. So, if I can find a way to get comparable performance and storage for significantly less, while still maintaining the ability to upgrade later, I'm down. And now I'm all ears.            

No, I haven't ordered anything yet. I'm still in Japan. Can you enlighten me about the difference on performance between the 4077 and the 4820?

Really I'd be darned if you ever noticed the difference, but you will notice the money you saved if you got the 4770K.

If you never plan to get one of the more expensive 6-core 2011 processors, it's a pointless socket. The other "benefits" really aren't beneficial, and certainly not unless you run their better (6-core) CPUs

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ok. You've persuaded me. I'll go for the 4770k. I HAVE noticed the huge price difference between the two socket types, and if I'm not going to see that big of a performance difference (I wouldn't go to one of the 6-core processors for a while, honestly, if ever - at least not until they come WAY down in price), there's just no need to spend the extra money. Thank you.

Now, I do have a concern about MoBos. I'm seeing a lot of complaints online lately about people getting motherboards that, for whatever reason, aren't working. Is this as big of a concern as it sounds?

What i did for my build was to sign up for Newegg's email and they will send you sales on products every day.  i waited for my components to go on a decent sale and buy them one at a time.  For the motherboard I went with an Asus Sabertooth and really like the board.  Its really all personal preference and make sure that the board you get has a high review rating on newegg before you buy it.  For the most part if you get a board with a lot of high ratings you wont have a problem.

Pretty well any mid to high end asus or gigabyte board would be a safe bet, some like asrock but as I've never owned one I can't recommend them.As stated by previous poster do your homework on the one you choose, read reviews ,benchmarks , etc !

Ok. Since we've established that I'm not going to see a huge performance increase between the 4820k and the 4077k, I suppose the next question is, will I see a huge performance difference between an i5 processor and an i7 processor - assuming a top of the line i5 and a 4077k i7?

Since your doing rendering I would say the I7 is what you want. Also I would go with the Sapphire version of the 280x its 80 dollars more but if I remember correctly with the reviews on this site you get 40-60 fps on crysis three setting on high so your games would not even come close to a lag as long as your cpu and memory match which they do. I would go with the samsung evo there have been some great reviews and I believe its currently the fastest ssd on the market it also is 5 bucks cheaper lol and also are you absolutely set on a six core or is it just 2011 are all six core?

No, I'm not set on a 6 core processor, which is why I was willing to switch to socket 1150. I honestly can't imagine needing six cores for anything I'm likely to be doing. Four should be more than sufficient. I'm just trying to avoid bottlenecks, lag, and the complete inability to play truly high definition video. I want to be able to do what I want without having to worry about whether or not my computer can handle it, and have room to upgrade as needed.