R9 290X...The game changer

IVIYTH0S

The 290 is out for $399, true game changer with performance around 5% less than the 290X. Still they need better coolers.

I dont have a 290 yet but if it has the same quiet mode / Uber mode switching then the numbers you see may not be truly accurate once the card heats up in quiet mode. 

The card doesn't have an uber mode, it does have dual BIOS but the second serves no function apparently, the fan speed has been upped to 47% which is the reason for the delayed launch so what you see is what you get. Once non ref. coolers are out we can see the real potential of these cards.

Tom's Hardware even tried it with an aftermarket cooler

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-19.html

thats a pretty amazing difference just by installing a new cooler.  i'm excited to see how the aftermarket cards perform along with how mantle does.  After its all said and done AMD might just have the better card over the 780 Ti but it will be tough to beat.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 290 is out for $399, true game changer with performance around 5% less than the 290X. Still they need better coolers.

I dont have a 290 yet but if it has the same quiet mode / Uber mode switching then the numbers you see may not be truly accurate once the card heats up in quiet mode.

The card doesn't have an uber mode, it does have dual BIOS but the second serves no function apparently, the fan speed has been upped to 47% which is the reason for the delayed launch so what you see is what you get. Once non ref. coolers are out we can see the real potential of these cards.

Tom's Hardware even tried it with an aftermarket cooler

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-review-benchmark,3659-19.html

I'd imagine the second bios is either a backup that's locked or possibly a bios modding deterrent where if there is an alternate bios flash to the first, some on board software replaces that with the stock bios again. (again these are just guesses)

Great review! on the PowerColor R9 290X CCM,.. looks like it's going to be hot & loud,.. any rumors about any one doing a factory water cooled version like the Ares II cards. 

Thanks, I have not heard yet. That would prove interesting. I would love to see results from a card that has a full coverage block on a custom cooling system to eliminate the noise. Still looking to get my hands on a retail sample! 

I would fully expect too see a 290X LCS edition from them, unless they are going to do two on one PCB and call it a 299X or some damn thing.

I really hate the naming scheme. I actually had a customer come in asking for a GTX 290, took me 10mins to convince him there was only a GTX 295 and a R9 290X but he was convinced it was an NVIDIA card :wallbash: