Unofficial OCC 2012 GOTY

bilcliff

35 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Game of the Year (GOTY) for 2012?

• Kingdoms of Amalur: Recokoning
    • Mass Effect 3
    • Journey
    • Prototype 2
    • The Walking Dead
    • Max Payne 3
    • Diablo 3
    • Spec Ops: The Line
    • Darksiders II
    • Sleeping Dogs
    • Borderlands 2
    • Torchlight II
    • Dishonored
    • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    • Assassin's Creed III
    • Halo 4
    • Call of Duty: Black Ops II
    • Other (Specify In comments)

Hi all its that time of year again when gaming media start to hand out their game of the year awards and given the response we got last year. I thought we'd do it again :)

Same thing as last year, i've been through the the game releases for 2012 and tried to get the majority of the big ones. I've excluded any title that was released on another platform in a prior year i.e. dark souls (released on consoles in 2011), stacking (released on consoles in 2011), serious sam 3 (released on PC in 2011). The tiles are listed in release date order to remove any bias. I apologise if i've missed a title this year was another big year of gaming releases so please vote Other if your GOTY is not listed

I've only played a handful of the 2012 titles listed, Mass Effect 3 was very good excluding the last 20mins or so. Sleeping Dogs was definitely a good game in a year with no GTA and no Saints Row.

But i had to vote for The Walking Dead. It had me emotionally invested on another level like no other game. Parts of chapter 3 & chapter 5 had me crying like a baby :cry: The characters are so well written and Clemintine's character is the best child character i've ever seen in video games. She isn't annoying and you feel responsible for her safety (in a good way). The QTEs work in the high tension events. And the gut-wrenching choices you're required to make where there is no "right answer" and you've only got seconds to choose. I cant wait for season 2 :D

So what is your GOTY for 2012?

This may be the only poll where cod wont win haha

Picked BL2 because it is just fantastically well made with generous amounts of humor. It wasn't an easy pick because Halo 4 was also fantastic as was Sleeping Dogs which was a great change of pace from SR and GTA. I haven't played Darksiders 2 yet or Dishonored but I am sure they'll come close.

Assassins Creed is getting a little long in the tooth for me and Diablo III just didn't do it while TL2 ticked all the right boxes for me. Kingdoms of Almour is something I need to get to at some point as is Prototype ahhh the 1st world problems of there being to many good games.

Spec Ops: The Line, hands down. Best game I've played in a REALLY long time. The story changes depending on what you do in the game, and it really does make you feel bad for doing certain things. The mechanics aren't very good, but the story is incredible. I haven't played a game half as good as Spec Ops: The Line.

I am presuming that this is about games on a PC, I mean this is a PC hardware site? With that in mind certain games on this list make no sense. That being said of the games listed 13 of them have been on my gaming computer but only two have never been removed Borderlands 2 and X-Com. Of these two borderlands 2 is the game that continues to occupy my gaming time the most.

I love so many games that it's hard to pick one for GOTY.

I'd probably say Mass Effect 3 thanks to the Extended cut but Assassins Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 are close behind

Assassin's Creed 3

:lol:  at the new censor "buttassin's creed"

I am presuming that this is about games on a PC, I mean this is a PC hardware site? With that in mind certain games on this list make no sense. That being said of the games listed 13 of them have been on my gaming computer but only two have never been removed Borderlands 2 and X-Com. Of these two borderlands 2 is the game that continues to occupy my gaming time the most.

Yes this is a PC site, and yes Halo 4 & Journey were Xbox & PS3 exclusives. But it is not a prerequisite for a game to be on PC to be awarded Game of the Year. Otherwise it would be called PC GOTY :). Its the best game of 2012 regardless of platform. If you really wanted to you could vote other and say a 3DS or iOS game was the best game of the year.

also side note: new forum layout has made poll options impossible to see without selecting all the text with your mouse

Edited by bilcliff

Tough year.  Even though I hate the ending to Mass Effect 3, I gave that my vote.  The rest of the game was still pretty epic.  I am not taking the 2 DLC that have absolutely stunk into consideration.

Far Cry 3 and Max Payne 3 are 2 and 3 on my list.