The Hive

Muchoman1

I'd suggest going with the copper versions from EK to avoid plating issues (since the last I saw they still haven't manned up and admitted to their crap-ass plating). I'd probably join the two CPU loops together to share radiator space via a y-fitting or something similar.

A 120.4 would be more than enough for a few GPUs and a motherboard block. The mobo is going to dump <30 watts of heat and the GPUs can't possibly dump more than my dual 4870X2s did - and I ran them with my CPU in a loop with a single 120.3.

I'd suggest going with the copper versions from EK to avoid plating issues (since the last I saw they still haven't manned up and admitted to their crap-butt plating). I'd probably join the two CPU loops together to share radiator space via a y-fitting or something similar.

A 120.4 would be more than enough for a few GPUs and a motherboard block. The mobo is going to dump <30 watts of heat and the GPUs can't possibly dump more than my dual 4870X2so did - and I ran them with my CPU in a loop with a single 120.3.

Alright, good to know I've got rad space covered (I can still fit another two =D)

the nickel blocks are so, so shiny. I wants them. I thought the whole en thing fixed the corrosion problems

I thought the whole en thing fixed the corrosion problems

Nope. There wasn't ever an issue with the actual plating material...it was because of their crappy preparation and plating jobs. Just to be safe I'd go with the copper versions until EK can really prove that they've improved their plating process. They tried to blame it on everything else (including biocides, PT-nuke, various coolants, distilled water, etc) but never admitted to any fault. :pfp:

Also - if you have more space for rads...USE IT. I can't stress that enough. Low water temps == happy hardware. :lol:

Well I'll seehow it is in a month when I get my parts. I want all matching blocks. I like the look of aqua computer blocks too, but I don't think they are making a sr x block.

As for rad space I can fit quad 480 rads without modification

• 2 weeks later...

well. there is no sign of multiplier unlocked xeons from intel as of yet, so a thought i was having is to get a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117242

and put them in the sr-2 (if there is no sign of unlocked xeons or they are stupidly expensive)

because the alternative is dual 2.3ghz e5 xeons, but i do believe that dual 4.5 ghz older gen 6 cores will still crush it.

pros of the sr2:

overclocking guaranteed

less ram blocks needed

more even looking board

cheaper than sr3

i will install 48gb ram

cons of the sr2:

older board

older cpus

only 3 channel ram

so what do you guys think?

i wont make a move until the sr-3 is released and final word is out about the unlocked xeons

This :)

Edit: Got any more pics of progress on the desk?

i havent put it all together again yet. all that has happened so far is all the panels are primed, so no bare mdf, its all grey now.

and i have cut the rad and seat holes all the way through.

i will re assemble it when i get the parts in and whatnot, then i need to take it apart, cut tubing and wiring holes, paint it, then assemble

Nope. There wasn't ever an issue with the actual plating material...it was because of their crappy preparation and plating jobs. Just to be safe I'd go with the copper versions until EK can really prove that they've improved their plating process. They tried to blame it on everything else (including biocides, PT-nuke, various coolants, distilled water, etc) but never admitted to any fault. :pfp:

Also - if you have more space for rads...USE IT. I can't stress that enough. Low water temps == happy hardware. :lol:

From what I read they have a new nickel plating process that was implemented a few months back to eliminate that issue. Have you seen otherwise?

well. there is no sign of multiplier unlocked xeons from intel as of yet, so a thought i was having is to get a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117242

and put them in the sr-2 (if there is no sign of unlocked xeons or they are stupidly expensive)

Not a good idea since the W3680 will only run in a single proc config ;)

From what I read they have a new nickel plating process that was implemented a few months back to eliminate that issue. Have you seen otherwise?

Yes. Only because their plating process is fine...its their prep process that sucks.

Well I looked more into the CPUs for the sr2. The cost saved by less ram blocks and the cheaper board is offset by higher cpu costs.

As for the blocks, I will try to go non ek, but I want all matching blocks

edit: i found MIPS watercooling blocks, they are made in germany and seem to be high quality. their range is as big (if not bigger) than that of ek, and they did make a sr-2 block, so heres hoping a sr-3 one will be made

also, i saw these fans http://www.au.aquatuning.com/product_info.php/info/p4136_Yate-Loon-D12SL-12D-with-plug--1350rpm--Strong-Version---120x120x38mm--.html

38mm thick yate loon fans that are at 1350rpm, so they should be very quiet and still move heaps of air. would 8 of these 38mm fans in push pull work well on the hwlabs gtx 480mm rad?

edit edit:

so for the same price i can go push pull 38mm thick yate loons or just pull 1850 rpm gentle typhoons, so what is better for cooling and noise?

i think the answer is obvious, but im just making sure

Edited by Muchoman1