Renigade

What VOIP do you use or prefer and why?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What VOIP do you use for gaming what do you like qand not like about them and what do you prefer?

• Do you use Team Speak for gaming
    • Do you use Mumble for gaming
    • Do you use Skype for gaming
    • Do you use Ventrilo for gaming

I've used all 4 for gaming.

Teamspeak is easy to use. I use it quite often with ~5-15 people in a single channel.

I have a Mumble server running on my server when I bring it to LANs. Free and easy to use. I don't think there is a user limit when you're self-hosting. It uses like 125-150 kb/s per user talking, so I don't run it at home.

I've ran into a few gamers who for some forsaken reason like using Skype for gaming session. I personally hate using it for gaming. For starters it doesn't have a default feature for push-to-talk. To emulate push-to-talk on Skype, you need to bind a key for push-to-mute. Then set your client to toggle mute, so when you press push-to-mute bind it un-mutes you. Thus emulating push-to-talk, the uber M$ workaround way :P I really hate people who use voice activated mic settings, because it rarely works as intended. Skype was bought by M$ and they seem to be slow as hell at fixing issues rather than adding bloat like "Make Bing.com your homepage" to installer. Skype always prevents Windows 8 from shutting down properly with an error popup.

I really haven't used Ventrilo in a long time, but I don't think I ever had issues with it.

Preferred (from a client standpoint):

TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble (Any 3)

Least preferred (from a client standpoint):

Skype (Not even a gaming VOIP and shouldn't be considered or treated as one. The only time I see this viable is if no one has access to any of the 3 above servers. I believe there is a limit to how many users can group call on a free account too.)

Edited by AZNguyen