2 Kilowatt Power Supply Tested

Nemo

...not to mention the fact that your standard household wiring can't run it even IF it's the only thing plugged in on the entire circuit in that room.

yeah, in America, with the stupidest domestic electricity design in the world...

in England, each socket provides 13A at 240V... so you can get ~3.1kW per socket, and a room can easily have 30A total on the ring main so 7.2kW for sockets...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, in America, with the stupidest domestic electricity design in the world...

in England, each socket provides 13A at 240V... so you can get ~3.1kW per socket, and a room can easily have 30A total on the ring main so 7.2kW for sockets...

IT is all about the UK/European Socket loads. :D

So, is it LITTERALY just 2 PSU's in one boX? AKA, you MUST plug it into 2 SocketS? Or are the 2 plugs just for the US? Could you plug just one in in the UK & still get full power?

Why the hell does it have 3 connecting cables between the PSU & Breakout boX? As if you would ever only plug 1 or 2 in? Surely all 3 need to be plugged in for proper operation? In which case it is just really really messy having 3 zip tied together calbes going to the same area.

Also, is there any shots of this Unit in a Case? Get an idea what it looks like in use? How much space is actually "saved"?

Also a shot of any good way to set this thing up under your desk/on your desk?

IT looks as if the Cables between PSU - Breakout boX are just far too short (As mentioned) but would be nice to get some pictures of it in action.

Future proofing? I don't think so. How do we know what connectors and such are going to be used in a few years time (think SLi etc a couple of years back).

I personally would find it hard to award an editor's choice, but then I didn't review it :)

Well I could see it being useful if your using the TT Mozart case. Which houses two computers in the same case. But other than that it seams kind of useless as its wired for 2 separate PC's, not 1 pc using tons of juice.

Going green are ya? :lol:

I personally would find it hard to award an editor's choice, but then I didn't review it :)

:withstupid:

Editor's choice for a $700 PSU that's completely unnecessary? I have to wonder if the editor would still choose this product if he were paying retail price like the rest of us.

Sorry if it's blunt, but I honestly can't think of a single scenario where I would ever recommend a user buy this product.

:withstupid:

Editor's choice for a $700 PSU that's completely unnecessary? I have to wonder if the editor would still choose this product if he were paying retail price like the rest of us.

Sorry if it's blunt, but I honestly can't think of a single scenario where I would ever recommend a user buy this product.

:withstupid: I had the same feelings. I literally laughed when I thought about the number of ways I could use a 2kW PSU and I was stunned that it was given an editors choice. If they slapped a fatality logo on it they would be able to sell more units to stupid people.

It'd be relatively cheap as far as direct 12v power supplies go. Running all the 12v lines in parallel would net you a nice high-amperage 12v power supply for testing and tuning car audio/video parts. Most 13.8/14.4 volt power supplies that can do 100 amps are in the $600+ range, those near 150 amps are even more.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Co...sid/0/SFV/30046

It'd be relatively cheap as far as direct 12v power supplies go. Running all the 12v lines in parallel would net you a nice high-amperage 12v power supply for testing and tuning car audio/video parts. Most 13.8/14.4 volt power supplies that can do 100 amps are in the $600+ range, those near 150 amps are even more.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Co...sid/0/SFV/30046

Perhaps... but even then... for this PSU to compete with something like what you linked, wouldn't it also have to be paired with an inverter? I remember reading in Fueler's car-computer thread that he ended up needing a pretty expensive inverter just to keep his 400-500ish watt PSU happy. By the time you add one that will support 2000W, I'd say the savings would be pretty negligible.

Besides, what I actually meant was that I can't even imagine ever recommending this in a system build. This review is targeted at a PC enthusiast market, and there I just can't see where this would ever be justifiable, let alone highly recommended.

This review is targeted at a PC enthusiast market, and there I just can't see where this would ever be justifiable, let alone highly recommended.

I'll second that, everytime I post anything about why in the heck a low end video card is tested and awarded as it would be used i get a "well we test on max settings for extreme gaming for the enthusiast market" type of responce (which btw is beyond total bull with the max res being tested @ 1680x1050), well what type of an enthusiast is dumb enough to want this thing for their PC? Why on earth would it be given an editor's choice? and even better why give it that when you have NO clue if the PSU can actually handel a real load, OCC's plug it inot a system and check volts testing tells you NOTHING about the quality of a PSU...PSUs today adjust voltage internally to keep consistant anyway and unless you're seeing something totally crazy it doesnt matter if one PSU drops .2V under load when another stays the same, both are doing what they were designed to and chances are both would show similar results with more or less load within reason for their specs.

Seriously, it's nice to see reviews, but it's nicer when they actually REALLY tell me something about the product.

Perhaps... but even then... for this PSU to compete with something like what you linked, wouldn't it also have to be paired with an inverter? I remember reading in Fueler's car-computer thread that he ended up needing a pretty expensive inverter just to keep his 400-500ish watt PSU happy. By the time you add one that will support 2000W, I'd say the savings would be pretty negligible.

No, the product I linked uses 120 AC and produces 12v DC. They are meant to be used to power car audio equipment in showrooms or at car shows. The only possible use I can think of for that 2KW supply is to use it for the same thing.

I'd also never be able to recommend such a supply for computing use unless someone was powering a massive quad-core quad-cpu peltier cooled system and even then I don't think it'd be useful.