OCC's Coverage Of Computex 2010 is completed

Thanks, guys :).

I'm glad you liked the tour photos - it was nice to get away from the convention for a couple of days, so I felt it'd be nice to provide a little change of pace to the coverage as well.

NuComer, I'm with you...it definitely made me want to visit more Asian countries.

bp, BS you didn't go through each booth babe photo :P. You probably clicked on each and every one to see the larger versions :P

I love scenic shots so it was really nice to see them. Made me wish I was there.. and now I envy my uncle for living in Malaysia even more. :lol:

Also, I haven't gone through all the booth babe photos.. yet. :P I do have a few shots from that ECS Night bookmarked.. I mean, wait, what.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you Andrew and OCC, I really enjoyed watching all the photos and reading through this whole Computex coverage. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go to an event such as Computex but I really do hope I will. It was a great presentation, I love it. Oh and by the way (a little late, but) happy birthday Andrew, your singing was great. I would've sounded just like you :). Great products, great show, great booth babes, great country, everything was great. Thank you again Andrew and OCC for this amaizing experience.

P.S. Some of the booth babes are sooooo beautiful that I can't believe it :).

Thank you, guys. It means a lot that you've enjoyed it.

Ilija, I agree...many of the girls were unbelievable...it made me want to learn Chinese :lol: (many spoke English though...some better than others).

Awesome job dude, I see why you were exhausted when you came back.

I found it really awesome when you said that OCC was well known to a lot of the companies booths that you visited.

Do you think they treat you differently than some of the other people there?

How many hours did you spend typing stuff up and uploading material?

:blink:

Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed too, a lot of trade show writeups are purely technical, I like how you add some personality to the articles.

Awesome job dude, I see why you were exhausted when you came back.

I found it really awesome when you said that OCC was well known to a lot of the companies booths that you visited.

Do you think they treat you differently than some of the other people there?

How many hours did you spend typing stuff up and uploading material?

:blink:

Thanks for taking the time to be so detailed too, a lot of trade show writeups are purely technical, I like how you add some personality to the articles.

Yeah, it's funny...I wasn't jetlagged at all when I was over there (thankfully). Being back home was rough though...I started to feel it in the middle of the work day, but then I had to stay up to do the writeup every night. I felt like I was slowly killing myself. hahaha.

As I think I mentioned, some companies contacted Dave and/or myself even before I left to schedule meetings. On the actual show floor for the "random" companies I came across, it all depended on who I spoke to. Many times I'd introduce myself, and they'd be like, "oh, you're from the US. Hold on, let me get someone" (in broken English. heh). For those companies that actually had US reps there, they were the ones that tended to know us, but I'd say the recognition wasn't as much as at CES when we're dealing with all US reps. But my favorite part was simply chatting casually afterward, not related to the business side of things. Guys like Ramsom from Thermaltake and Gene from PowerColor...they have good pre-existing relationships with OCC and they're just cool guys to hang out with.

As for treating me differently, that had more to do with me being American than with OCC. lol. Everyone there seems to love us...maybe because they realize they have us to thank for keeping mainland China at bay? :lol:. Seriously though, I'm not a world traveler by any means, but the respect and friendliness toward me, not just at the show, but outside it, was like no other foreign place I've been to. In other countries, if someone doesn't know English, generally they want nothing to do with you...in Taiwan, if they don't know English, they'll still do their best to help you out. And being one of the few "white guys" there was great with the booth babes too...for the "shows", usually they'd speak in Chinese and then follow up in English occasionally, but many presenters would pick me out of the crowd when looking for volunteers...maybe because I stand there looking lost when they're speaking Chinese, who knows. lol. It ranged from the simple act of handing me goodies, to more elaborate selections - eg. I was selected to play a Crazyracing Kartracer at the Tt eSPORTS booth, and that photo in the AMD Booth Babe section with the girl holding the gun? I was selected to shoot that at a board - got four "darts" and had to get 3-in-a-row on the board to win...all I needed were my first three shots, so that was cool. I don't even remember what I won...it was something stupid...I just loved that chick though. hahaha. Unfortunately I don't know who got the photos of that...wish I had them. lol.

As for how many hours I spent, I honestly couldn't tell you. I'd tried to do a few hours per day, though if you were following along all this time, I'm sure you know there were some days where I just had too many personal commitments....I think there were only 4-5 days where I didn't work on it though. Some sections took a lot longer than others, obviously. Despite the lack of words, even the Tour and Booth Babe sections took awhile - filtering out the good photos, organizing them, etc. As I stated before, I whittled down 686 tour photos to 198...that takes way too long to do :lol:. Booth Babes I did far less whittling (358 to 292) simply because I knew you guys would want as many photos as possible. hahaha. That took awhile organizing by company though, as some of them were taken across multiple times/days...the good thing was that it just coincidentally wound up falling on the three day weekend, which gave me more time to get it done.

Image resizing was done in batches (image processor scripting in Photoshop), though occasionally I'd have to go do some manual editing. Photoshop doesn't handle the switch from landscape well though, only matching up the height instead of inverting it. For the most part, I didn't care...but occasionally I went in and manually redid a few to make it the "fuller" size. When it came to the tour and booth babes, I actually separated out the portraits and batched them separately. In addition, Photoshop reads metadata, knowing whether my camera was held horizontally or vertically. This generally worked out just fine, but there were some occasions where it'd flip images incorrectly and I'd have to manually redo them. Most likely I was holding the camera "wrong" in order to get the right shot, so it's somewhat my fault I guess, but it was still frustrating...especially since I would manually rotate images in Windows and Photoshop would just ignore that and go by the metadata.

As for the videos, I didn't do any editing. For one, I'm not skilled in doing so and have very limited experience with Premiere. Most importantly, it takes a lot of time, especially when you're a noob like me. So the only time spent for the videos, aside from watching them and making sure they were solid, was uploading to YouTube, which did take awhile even on my rather fast home connection. Once I realized that YouTube allows queuing of the uploads, that was a little better because at least I could go AFK for a little. lol. I was pissed because I accidentally changed my camera settings during ECS Night and recorded a couple of videos at "email size", which is a ridiculous 160x120 (wtf?! :lol: ). Thankfully I realized before I got up to sing, lucky for you guys :lol::teehee:.