Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Win7 64-bit

blinkingpeak649

I FREAKING LOVE this game! I started playing it 4 years ago on Vista and couldn't put it down. With the completion of my new rig I had to start a new game. After installation everything worked perfectly. Coming back later to continue my quest I started Oblivion back up and it CRASHED.

I can't get enough of this game and I finally fixed the errors (so far) and am making this post to other Oblivion lovers out there.

First off my specs are as follows:

CPU: Phenom II x2 560 BE (stock, no OC)

HDD 1: WD Caviar 500GB SATA II (OS installed here)

HDD 2: Velociraptor 250 GB SATA II (Oblivion installed here)

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 (OC @ 950 mhz)

- Dual Monitors enabled

I don't think any other specs matter so I didn't post them. After the errors I researched a lot about the problem and it seems that there are a lot of different ways people have tried to fix the crash upon start up but it isn't the same for everyone and readers can't determine whether or not the fix lasted throughout the game or it was solved for a one time fix and crashed again the next start up.

After contacting Bethesda a service representative had informed me that Oblivion is only certified to work with Win XP 32-bit. Although it works on other operating systems, Win XP is the only OS it is CERTIFIED to work with. He also noted that my GPU wasn't listed as a tested GPU with Oblivion.

Other users on other websites had noted that the game was made when dual core processers were the highest technology at the time, hence, the game was made to only work with a max of two cores. There are ways to fix this but since I only have a dual core CPU I didn't take the time to research it. The other problem with current gamers is the luxury of having multiple monitors set up to expand the viewing area of the game. The problem with Oblivion is that the game wasn't made to support this kind of technology so it may create errors. I don't know how to circumvent this area to get multiple monitors to work, I'm just glad I got it to work on one monitor, lol. If anyone does know how, please enlighten me.

The rest of this post will take you through what steps I took to fix the problem followed by a result.

1. Enter User Access Controls (UAC) and disable the permission prompts.

2. Install Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on either a seperate HDD or in another part of the main HDD, not in the regular path Win7 places games.

3. Once installed, right-click the launcher and choose to run the file in Vista sp 2 compatibility mode; do the same for oblivion.exe

4. Disable all other monitors except the main monitor. To make it easier for future gaming, I created a display profile in Catalyst Control Center to automatically disable the second monitor.

That's it. I've restarted the game multiple times without a single error and have been playing it using the above settings for 2 weeks now. No crashes during gameplay either. The only time it's crashed on start up is when I forget to disable my second monitor.

I hope this helps anyone who has been having this problem. I'll definately revise this post to include more detail on the instructions but for now I just wanted to get the message out.

Use a 4gb patch on the .exe files so you can make better use of the extra ram offered by 64-bit versions of windows.

Edit: Inserted link to 4gb patch

Also there is this program to enable triple monitor support in TES IV:Oblivion I haven't tried it myself only one screen myself but some other people have it works but graphics take a huge hit with the higher res. You will need 4GB Patch to make this work.

Edited by Stonerboy779

I'm running

Win 7 Pro x64

Core i7 930

AMD Radeon 5870 w/ Catalyst 11.8

1 24" monitor @ 1920x1080

I LOVE Oblivion, and Morrowind, and found that both run fine for me. The only real difference I see is the multiple monitor setup you have. It's ran fine for me since install. I didn't need to apply and compatibility fixes, although I did have it say "Oblivion Stopped Working" right after I exited, which is common error, especially if you use a lot of mods.

Use a 4gb patch on the .exe files so you can make better use of the extra ram offered by 64-bit versions of windows.

Edit: Inserted link to 4gb patch

Also there is this program to enable triple monitor support in TES IV:Oblivion I haven't tried it myself only one screen myself but some other people have it works but graphics take a huge hit with the higher res. You will need 4GB Patch to make this work.

that patch doesnt support crossfire does it? cause im running oblivion in eyefinity and having some issues.

that patch doesnt support crossfire does it? cause im running oblivion in eyefinity and having some issues.

To my knowledge it enables the game to access more than 4gb ram that is vram inclusive and shouldn't be an issue for nividia or amd and ati. I don't play oblivion much but the patch works on my copy inclusive of shivering isles too. I spend more time on my severely modded Morrowind (also making use of a 4GB patch).

Your issues are going to be from too much vram usage the 4gb patch should be all you need to get things working.

I LOVE Oblivion, and Morrowind, and found that both run fine for me. The only real difference I see is the multiple monitor setup you have. It's ran fine for me since install. I didn't need to apply and compatibility fixes, although I did have it say "Oblivion Stopped Working" right after I exited, which is common error, especially if you use a lot of mods.

I had zero issues just like you until I went sli and did a minor bit of modding a lot of the time a patch to enable it to recognise and use more ram is all that is needed and the occasional mod of the .ini file.

You assumption on the monitors is part of the issue but nothing that cant be fixed. Very true about the mods, everyone should also get a dragon mount its fun and just a little op.

Bethsea says it isn't compatible with win 7 but if you are running and underpowered 64-bit single screen or just a 32-bit system it should run cleanly.

Edited by Stonerboy779

To my knowledge it enables the game to access more than 4gb ram that is vram inclusive and shouldn't be an issue for nividia or amd and ati. I don't play oblivion much but the patch works on my copy inclusive of shivering isles too. I spend more time on my severely modded Morrowind (also making use of a 4GB patch).

Your issues are going to be from too much vram usage the 4gb patch should be all you need to get things working.

I had zero issues just like you until I went sli and did a minor bit of modding a lot of the time a patch to enable it to recognise and use more ram is all that is needed and the occasional mod of the .ini file.

You assumption on the monitors is part of the issue but nothing that cant be fixed. Very true about the mods, everyone should also get a dragon mount its fun and just a little op.

Bethsea says it isn't compatible with win 7 but if you are running and underpowered 64-bit single screen or just a 32-bit system it should run cleanly.

ah, i misstyped, i mean the triplehead thing wont work with crossfire and eyefinity

ah, i misstyped, i mean the triplehead thing wont work with crossfire and eyefinity

Those programs would conflict. Think of triple head as the bad version of eyefinity for those that wish they had eyefinity.

It is not needed for you, eyefinity should work fine. Don't need the other program, just need the 4gb patch to use your gpu's properly with all settings maxed on a 64-bit system.

I actually reinstalled it not too long ago myself to play some before Skyrim. I'd recommend checking out the unofficial patches available that ifx a lot of old bugs. I installed some high res textures and other eye candy too. Looks amazing for as old of a game it is.

I didn't have any issues on W7 though. I'd also make sure you have the latest official patches too (mine is on Steam so was fully updated)

Edited by Raiderfan001

I actually reinstalled it not too long ago myself to play some before Skyrim. I'd recommend checking out the unofficial patches available that ifx a lot of old bugs. I installed some high res textures and other eye candy too. Looks amazing for as old of a game it is.

I didn't have any issues on W7 though. I'd also make sure you have the latest official patches too (mine is on Steam so was fully updated)

Listen to this^^^^^

Planet elderscrolls and tes nexus both have what is called unofficial oblivion patch. It fixes a lot of bugs and conflicts.

also while your there some other names to search HG Eyecandy and akatosh mount those to are equally some of best mods made exception on all high res retextures.

Huge TES fan here too. I use the high res textures and more. I haven't had any problems like these though.

I just keep coming back to this game. I'm on my 4th 100hour+ playthrough and just can't get enough. It's been like a yearly game for me to play since it was released.

• 2 weeks later...

The post is way too long.

But if this helps. I use it with Windows 7 64 bit so it should work for your too. But I use NVidia.

ps: Sometimes when I exit the game it gives me a Windows error but I dont care because I already closed the game.