670 sli problem

JJDARK21

I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but the reason I mentioned the second PCIe slot in an earlier post, is because when I first moved to the Z68 platform I bought two Asus Z68 Deluxe boards and I couldn't get SLi working correctly on either one of them when I used an SSD. My suspicion is that there is some sort of collision going on in the communication lanes on the chipset with some of the Asus boards. I sent both Asus boards back and replaced with one MSI and one Gigabyte board. The MSI board exhibited similar symptoms, so I went to the Gigabyte board and it worked without issue. So I finished my first and second Z68 builds using the Gigabyte boards.

I know this can't be a widespread problem - or everyone would be complaining about it. I gave up simply because I needed SSD RAID and SLi configuration to work correctly on both of the builds I was doing. I'm not smart enough to tell you why I was having issues with the Asus and MSI Z68 boards trying to run multiple SSDs and GPUs, all I know is that I did.

The one Gigabyte build I kept for myself is still running strong here a year later.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but the reason I mentioned the second PCIe slot in an earlier post, is because when I first move to the Z68 platform I bought two Asus Z68 Deluxe boards and I couldn't get SLi working correctly on either one of them when I used an SSD. My suspicion is that there is some sort of collision going on in the communication lanes on the chipset with some of the Asus boards. I sent both Asus boards back and replaced with one MSI and one Gigabyte board. The MSI board exhibited similar symptoms, so I went to the Gigabyte board and it worked without issue. So I finished my first and second Z68 builds using the Gigabyte boards.

I know this can't be a widespread problem - or everyone would be complaining about it. I gave up simply because I needed SSD RAID and SLi configuration to work correctly on both of the builds I was doing. I'm not smart enough to tell you why I was having issues with the Asus and MSI Z68 boards trying to run multiple SSDs and GPUs, all I know is that I did.

The one Gigabyte build I kept for myself is still running strong here a year later.

I heard MSI crowded their PCI-e lanes, but I'm surprised ASUS does to. That is interesting. Seems like a lot of people doing SLI use ASUS boards. Surprised we have not had more people complaining on this issue.

I thought it was pretty weird too, and I seemed to be one of the few people who had problems with it. Running the latest bios revision, everything up to date (drivers etc.) and as soon as I enabled SLi I'd either get no video out, or if I did get video out my SLi would just randomly disable itself with no option to re-enable it without uninstalling the drivers and re-installing. I messed with those two boards for the better part of two days trying to figure it out. Then I just gave up.

Now that you mention that I also had trouble with a pair of 580's in sli on an asus Z68 board and eventually just put it to a single 580...and yes I was using an ssd boot drive..

I know that you probably don't want to hear this, but the reason I mentioned the second PCIe slot in an earlier post, is because when I first moved to the Z68 platform I bought two Asus Z68 Deluxe boards and I couldn't get SLi working correctly on either one of them when I used an SSD. My suspicion is that there is some sort of collision going on in the communication lanes on the chipset with some of the Asus boards. I sent both Asus boards back and replaced with one MSI and one Gigabyte board. The MSI board exhibited similar symptoms, so I went to the Gigabyte board and it worked without issue. So I finished my first and second Z68 builds using the Gigabyte boards.

i will try to do some tests to try to get my sli working but if not i will try with a normal hdd i can live with that but i really want this to get fixed without having to buy a hdd lol or a new motherboard besides i dont live in the states so its harder for me to buy computer components

Sounds like a plan JJ. Hopefully the regular HDD will cure your ills. Best of luck.

i tested each videocard both work flawlessly i only got one thing to test and its using a normal hdd if this doesnt work i will sell one of my gtx 670s and wait for the next generation dual gpu cards

i tested each videocard both work flawlessly i only got one thing to test and its using a normal hdd if this doesnt work i will sell one of my gtx 670s and wait for the next generation dual gpu cards

Did you try each one in the second slot as well?

The NVIDIA 700 series are planned for March next year so you're gonna be waiting a while...

yeah i know that but amd new gpus are coming in january i love both sides of the coin btw i have one only thing to try and its trying other original version of windows thats the last thing if not second gtx 670 is going to be selled

Edited by JJDARK21