OUYA - A new kind of video game console

airman

I'd rather spend $50,000 trying to write the next Twilight, than spend millions trying to write "The Lord of the Rings", and fail.

greater the risk; greater the reward. I'd personally like to put out something I can take pride in than make a game based solely on market research.

For me, it immediately satisfies my desires of having an HTPC/media box without having to deal with building/finding a computer, setting it up, taking up space, etc. The games/controller/touchpad are just extras for me. The apps/android nature of it will make the possibilities endless and I really look forward to seeing what it can do and how far it goes.

That's actually a very good purchasing standpoint. While there are cheaper and more portable options for media boxes, there are none that really give you the benefit of many apps provided through the Android marketplace.

Its only when its viewed as a pure gaming console, things get sticky.

I dunno, as a gaming console I see it kind of lacking. If it can do more like a cell phone or media box then sounds pretty cool. But the hardware isn't all that, my cell phone has a dual core CPU and 1gb of RAM, I feel this should be a little beefier because its more suited for TV's, not a phone. Guess we will see...

I'd rather spend $50,000 trying to write the next Twilight, than spend millions trying to write "The Lord of the Rings", and fail.

We talking books or movies here? I'm pretty sure books don't really cost much other than time to write regardless of how ambitious you are. :P

This does look like a neat base for a HTPC-esque thing though. As long as it can stream HD (which Tegra3 should be able to handle) it'll be a hit.

This does look like a neat base for a HTPC-esque thing though. As long as it can stream HD (which Tegra3 should be able to handle) it'll be a hit.

If they can get their hands on it early enough, Tegra 4 might could be in the release. However, considering it only costs $95/99, I can't expect it.

Tegra 3 should be fine for 1080p. An Acer tablet released about a month ago has a 1080p display and uses Tegra 3.

I feel sorry for all the Android app developers out there. It is already very fragmented and a typical android app developer is usually given around 20 phones so they can test their stuff on. Now you add in one more product and bleh! Nice thing is the specs will be locked.

The bad thing is the specs will be locked. A typical android phone lasts about 6 months then they begin stop supporting it. So android phones are almost always running a few versions behind on their O/S and start getting bloated, like Windows. So how long can this console last supporting upcoming Android games and such? If you keep updating the O/S it is going to start running like a dog.

Good in theory, not buying though. They clearly don't understand the #1 rule in what makes consoles successful. Obviously thought up by someone obessed with open source.

I don't think that just because it runs on Android doesn't mean it's going to be stuck in a "fragmented" app development world. Cross-platform between phones and Ouya will probably be limited. I don't expect this to basically be a "non-connected phone" that plugs into my TV so I can play Angry Birds, check emails, and use Office tools. It's going to be a gaming platform that has a following of development specifically for it - a lot like Steam. Many immensely successful games on Steam came from indie developers and do not require a large amount of hardware to run them.

Comparing it too much to a mobile platform (yes, it is Android) leaves out the thought that it's a rootable, moddable, and simple playground for developers, but comparing it too much to a console drives down expectations as far as performance, graphics, etc - but remember, it's only $99...

I look forward to it simply for the ROMs that I could play and have them all in one place, and for it to act as a nice little media center for [most likely] streaming hulu and netflix as well as my other media stored on the network. For $99, it's worth it to me just for a media/streaming box that I don't have to worry about fiddling to set up, clammering around with a mouse and keyboard on my couch, drivers, codecs, permissions, blah blah etc. It's just going to be a cool little toy. Whatever else it brings me is just the sugar on top.

We shall see how it does. The funny thing is that if apple announced something like this, everyone would be drooling over it and saying how it will be the best device ever.

from what I got from the video, developers will be making games specifically for the console, so Android fragmentation will not play a role. It might help the indie developers, who knows. All I know is that the games I've spent the most time on have had the worst graphics. If the games are good, it will sell. I have seen some simple yet extremely fun games. I don't think they are targeting the demographic of the 360 or PS3 users. This seems like something unique.

Predictions of success or failure in technology doesn't ever seem to work out as expected as you never know what the product quality will be like, even products from established companies.

We shall see.

We shall see how it does. The funny thing is that if apple announced something like this, everyone would be drooling over it and saying how it will be the best device ever.

The closest thing to this was Apple TV and it failed miserably LOL so yes we will see