Breadboarding

TheyCallMeGunny

--EDIT--

ON HOLD UNTIL I GET A NEW SD CARD- THE ONE IN MY CAMERA IS UNUSABLE. CAN'T FINISH THE GUIDE UNTIL I GET IT REPLACED.

--End Edit--

It's been a while since I've done this, so bare with me as I fumble my way through making this guide.

Breadboarding: The homebuilder's method of testing computer components to determine which components are faulty.

I plan to make a step by step guide on this, and I have searched to see if one exists. But I have found none. So while I'm making this guide, I wanted to post this footmark in case anyone finds a link ON THIS SITE. If thee isn't a breadboarding guide, I'll go ahead with the post via edit.

Comment if you find a breadboard guide on this site, and i'll either abandon this project or compare it to the existing guide. Otherwise, consider my work started now on this guide.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

I am confused as to what you are saying...

I know what a breadboard is, I know how and have used them before in the dummying up of test circuits before PCBs are etched eat.

However I am at a complete loss as to how you would use one to test computer components?

My definition of computer components is the entire GPU or sound card ect, which I test by swapping around in known working configurations eat.

If I test smaller its with a multi-meter.

I think Stonerboy is thinking of an actual breadboard:

Breadboard.jpg

I'm sure the guide should be simple for doing what you're thinking. Pretty much teaching trial and error with a taste of common sense, lol :P

I think Stonerboy is thinking of an actual breadboard:

Breadboard.jpg

I'm sure the guide should be simple for doing what you're thinking. Pretty much teaching trial and error with a taste of common sense, lol :P

Exactly what I am thinking of :)

Guess I will have to wait.

I've never heard of what he speaks of called breadboarding, but he kind of defines it in the OP:

Breadboarding: The homebuilder's method of testing computer components to determine which components are faulty.

I took it as narrowing down and swapping out components to find out which part is bad. Which is why I mentioned it's just common sense paired with trial and error, lol.

If that's not what he means, then uhh...no idea. :blink:

I am curious were this definition came from.

are you sure he dont mean taking your mobo out of the case and putting it on a breadboard(literally)...so it doesn't short...like an open computer...:D

Edited by Il_napoletano

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks its obvious the OP wants to make a 'universal' troubleshooting guide for DIY builders.

If so, I have plenty of experience being 'stumped' and can help out. :thumbsup:

I had started this as a video project.. Then my SD card went to heck on my phone. So until I get a new one, I can't finish the video.

Sorry guys, but this post is taking WAY longer than expected. I should've had it done in a couple hours from start, but naturally my phone hates me lol.

And I'm trying to think of the exact term, I could've swore it was bread boarding.. But I guess it isn't: But I'm talking about single-component out-of-case assembly of a pc, one part at a time, testing each as you go. That way you can determine which part in a system is the defective one, when you can't get it to POST.

I'm going to try to look up the proper definition and rename the thread.

Trouble shooting tree. Trouble shooting guide.

Automotive/motorcycle shop manuals used to have good ones.

[ I have heard test to failure, but not often]

Reduce components to bare minimum to post. The add one part at a time and check till failure occures.

There are often IF... THEN ... decision points included.

Important steps are " If using more than one memory card, check each in one slot, then check each slot, then add combinations ( ie fill slots)."

Generally motherboard outside the case to eliminate case problems to start.

Breadboarding term (I think) goes back to either before tubes or early tube electronics period. You could use screws as wire connectors on the wood, components or component holders could be screwed on.

Coils, transformers, various sockets were easy to mount.

• 2 years later...